It is useful to understand some of the parameters, algorithms, assumptions, and approaches in wargame design. Occasionally game designers will share these, most often they don't. So called "Design For Effect" school designers are perhaps the most reticent in this regard. But it would be worthwhile to compare and contrast approaches to various kinds of issues that budding military historians, game designers, and more than a few of us curious players are interested in.

COMBAT ADJUDICATION, WEAPON POTENTIALS, AND TERRAIN EFFECTS: The granddaddy of OA application. Nearly everyone has to come up with an OA model for this function. And we're all interested in how this was done and what calculations/assumptions/validations went into it.

TERRAIN, WEATHER, MOVEMENT, AND UNIT AGILITY: Not often considered but often just as important is how movement is thought of and how well units can change direction. There have been a few attempts at modeling this to various levels of fidelity--traffic jam rules in Bulge games are one example, but some may remember units taking up various "road space" in SPI's hoary old LOST BATTLES and Jack Radey's KORSUN POCKET, which complicating things. In HIGHWAY TO THE REICH, you had to watch out in what order you moved units as stacking limits applied during the ENTIRE move--overstack even temporarily (commonly moving a piece over a stack during movement that created an overstack...albeit temporarily...as you piece intended to move on...) and everybody got disrupted (shades of Patton directing traffic). Impacts of terrain are also not a "given" and we've seen games take a number of approaches to it.

STACKING. This rates its own discussion. How much physical space does a unit take up before clogging itself (and others)? How do you determine this?

ZONES OF CONTROL USAGE. Some games have tried to address this (ZOC "links" in CAMPAIGN FOR STALINGRAD, among others). What leads designers to pick "locking" versus "fluid" ZOCs, and why have ZOCs at all?

COMMAND AND CONTROL. We began to see games treat this a little more seriously in the 1980s--what are the analyses that leads to the various systems we now see proliferating in games?

LEADERSHIP AND MORALE. What leads to comparative "ratings" and assessments between cardboard warrior leaders? Between units?

SUPPLY AND LOGISTICS. Where this is covered in some detail, what are the calculations that led to rules to govern unit/capability sustainability? What could be simplified? What couldn't be? We all know how detailed CAMPAIGN FOR NORTH AFRICA was, but in KORSUN POCKET you had to watch your artillery ammo...in OCS games supply is critical and explicitly managed, even if abstracted. You have to create dumps and forecast consumption well ahead of time when contemplating operations....

Don't know how many game designers/developers will frequent this group discussion, but I'd hope a few. In the meantime, when group members flip through designers notes in games (old and new) that seem to provide insight into these subjects, it would be worthwhile to post them here to "prime the pump" as it were. And if you have game designer/developer/playtester friends who are into this, please send them here....

Views: 244

Replies to This Discussion

I certainly hope we are being represented, even if not formally.

I had planned to go, but alas, other work requirements have me at home. Fortunately a number of my co-workers will be attending.

Too bad about me tho. I'd hoped to finally get a view/tour of the Coast Guard Academy!

I gather that you'll be attending, Jon?
Yes, just the Thursday early session though, as I have to catch a ferry to Long Island at 5. Hoping to evangelize the professional society newsletter.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Mark Humphries updated their profile
19 hours ago
Mark Humphries commented on Mark Humphries's photo
Thumbnail

Pop Quiz #3

"It's from Don Greenwood to Gary Gygax. Most of my Panzerfausts came from Gygax."
yesterday
Mizore joined Jacob Wikman's group
Thumbnail

Operational Combat Series Gaming

A series responsible for many a strained marriage and relationship, not to mention the severe…See More
yesterday
Mike Raymond posted a group
Thumbnail

WW2 Global Conflict

We are a group playing any WW2 board games with results merged on master maps, creating a huge…See More
Monday
Otto Harkaman commented on Otto Harkaman's photo
Thumbnail

Starfire scenario I

"Hard to imagine its been forty years since first published. I was able to collect all the first…"
Monday
Eric Walters commented on Otto Harkaman's photo
Thumbnail

Starfire scenario I

"I remember friends playing this back in the day, but I never got a chance to try it out!  Sure…"
Saturday
Eric Walters left a comment for Trevor Just
"Trevor, welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social Website!  You play some awesome games out of that 1K…"
Saturday
Trevor Just is now a member of ConsimWorld
Saturday

Groups

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

© 2020   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service