Don Chappell made a comment regarding my oft-expressed skepticism regarding OA applications on so-called "soft factors." Attached is a rather ambitious attempt at this, entitled "Gaming and Simulating Ethno-Political Conflicts," presented in August 2006 at the Descartes Conference on Mathematical Models in Counterterrorism, written by Barry Silverman, Gnana Bharathy, and Benjamin Nye out of University of Pennsylvania. This is also posted online at URL:
http://www.seas.upenn.edu/~barryg/EthnoPoliGame.pdf

These kinds of models are great at performing "control functions" in command post exercises and the like...great fun for players...but I'd be extremely reticent to use them for predictive/validation purposes--Godel's Incompleteness Theorem applies here.

Views: 46

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Good heads up, Eric!

I'll try to read this over the weekend. It sounds interesting.
Jon Compton's editorial in the Winter 2007 edition of FIRE AND MOVEMENT got me thinking...and so I fulfilled my duty as one of the staff-bloggers-at-large over at the Small Wars Journal website Check it out at:

Problems and Prospects of Defense Counterinsurgency Wargaming
I'll read this paper shortly. Regarding mathematical modeling of terrorism, I wrote a paper a few years ago in which I did just that. Here's a link for your entertainment: http://joncompton.com/ViolentSystems.pdf. The model needs some respecification in that it's not empirically estimable as constructed. I think I would probably drop the life-cycle equation for starters, along with a few other things.
Eric, The paper references Green and Armstrong (2003), but doesn't have the citation in the references section. Are you familiar with the work that they're citing? See the first paragraph in the introduction.
This was an interesting paper.
I wonder if the board game they mention, "BigWig", will ever see the light of day...

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Scott Martin left a comment for Eric Walters
"I have been recently replenishing my collection of AH and SPI games.  AK or Stalingrad (or The…"
Thursday
"Well it was current about 15 years ago, give or take... I've been in the SF Bay Area for the…"
Thursday
Eric Walters commented on Eric Walters's group Marine Maneuver Warfare Wargamers
"New game out on small unit infantry combat in the Central Highlands of Vietnam--yes, it's all…"
Wednesday
Eric Walters left a comment for Scott Martin
"Sometime I should get into VASSAL--I just never have time for it these days with school,…"
Wednesday
Eric Walters left a comment for Scott Martin
"The current T-shirt looks terrific!  I like the "roll well and live" design on it!"
Wednesday
Chuang Shyue Chou replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"I have just started on the two volumes on French tanks by Steven Zaloga. This was sparked by…"
Wednesday
Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Read: "Black Mountain: An Isaiah Coleridge Novel" by Laird Barron. Isaiah is a ex-hitman…"
Monday
"We should set up a Vassal game sometime of a SPI or AH game."
Monday

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2019   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service