Let us know what game you are currently playing!

Views: 8944

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lee,
That's the one. There are two editions--the one I had on the table was the second edition, with the much better looking map. I have a bent for the French and enjoy playing early-war scenarios more than I do the late-war ones, for some reason, at least when AFVs are involved. Xavier Vitry's LE FRANC TIREUR number 11(?) has a marvelous issue devoted to the French in 1940 and has a marvelous article with photos and graphics tying particular STONNE 1940 hexes to photos of places...plus a 3D aerial photo of the modern day battlefield with a STONNE 1940 hexfield overlaid on top. Love it. Been playing the scenarios to get myself back into the ASLRB--done the first two from the STONNE 1940 set and will play the 3rd soon as I can free up some time. I dream of playing the HASL Campaign Game--we'll see.
Matt,
GD'40 indeed covers the same period, but the scale is--of course--vastly different. For one thing, the map covers a MUCH larger area. For another, there are far more units involved. For yet another, you are fighting a chronology of engagements over a long period of time. Even the STONNE 1940 Campaign Game pales in comparison with the sweep of that particular TCS title. And, true to the intent of the TCS, the focus is on the command and control aspects first and foremost, with the command rules showing how relatively nimble the Germans can be compared to the rather ponderous French formations (e.g., on average it takes the French longer to implement Op Sheets than do the Germans, all else being equal).
Whoops. Yes. Indeed.

If I had to pick my favorite tactical system (my choice range including ASL/ASLSK/HASL, ATS, PANZERGRENADIER series, FIRE POWER, TCS, Grand Tactical Series/TDC, PANZER COMMAND, West End's FIRE TEAM, West End's TANK LEADER series, TSR/SPI's SNIPER/PATROL/HETZER SNIPER, Lost Battalion's SERGEANTS!, Omega's DESERT VICTORY/MAIN BATTLE AREA, Jim Day's PANZER/ARMOR/88/MBT/IDF, PANZERBLITZ/PANZER LEADER/ARAB-ISRAEL WARS, MECH WAR 2, FIREFIGHT/RAID, CITY FIGHT, MECH WAR 77/PANZER 44, TAC AIR, and GDW's ASSAULT series and FIRST BATTLE series) TCS wins hands down. It just feels the most realistic of all of them. After that are the Omega games. After that is the ASSAULT Series.
Eric, That sounds pretty neat! I'm going to have to buy a copy! How big is the map? I like the French in this period also!
Just a little smaller/shorter than your typical one-sheet paper wargame map. It folds into sixths, but four are full panels and the two end panels are short by one half a panel. The map graphics are quite lovely and look like what one would expect for an ASL map. I do like the first two scenarios, even though the second is a bit harder for the French player to win.
Thanks for the info.
Me - the new Bulge Game - just back from TDY to the Alabama Arny National Guard!
This weekend marks the 67th Anniversary of the Day of Infamy.

The EWR is considering something this weekend for that -

Empire of the Sun
Asia Engulfed
Victory in the Pacific
War in the Pacific (PH Scenario) - the Decision Games Edition.

5 are committed to play Saturday - and it is possible we will have 7 players.
It could also be another Day of Infamy if Army loses yet AGAIN to Navy....
Activities at the EWR picked up on the gaming front. One of my best Birthdays - now 45 (hmm, maybe we should of played Battle for Germany).

The game Stuart, Luke and I played was Caesar Alesia - wow, it has been decades.

For Luke, it was all new but very interesting - the situation is this; rusty old Stuart, armed with the Alesia General, set up his Roman forts in an effective manner, leaving two or three at risk, one of which would fall as a Gallic calvary unit just sort of wondered all over it (the rules says the Roman Forts are destroyed when a Gallic unit moves into it - whether by moves or retreat - though we are not sure if it is immediate or after the move - their is no 'fort destruction' phase on the SOP.)

Back to the brief AAR- Luke, itching for action, decides turn 1 is the time for his Outer Gauls to go right in and smash his way through. This was aided by Stuart's admittedly ' lazy' setup of the romans, whome he deployed all over the place, while 'back in the day'. the Roman player learned to focus everything in Secotrs I, II and X while the Outer Gauls spread out. Why? Time is everything for the Gauls, and the longer you delay the ten units reaching the outerworks, the better.

Stuart did something with his setup that I had not seen in the days I played this with John McConnell, Kirby and Bill Hines - a forward setup OUTSIDE the fort in sector I - this held off the Gauls from reaching the OuterWorks for turn 1 in sufficient numbers.

Turn 2 saw the success of at least drawing for my inner Gauls to sally forth, and I luckily drew a "1", allowing me to move out. Stuart made an error - so focused, with devastating effect, on repelling the Outer Gauls, that the Sector X inner Ramparts/works were undefended, and the Inner Gauls landed on that rampart/river/works line unmolested.

After much pushing on, and dealing with unusual die rolling ability on Stuart's part, we find the OG thoroughly chewed up by Missile Fire. Outer works losses have been very low, but that missile fire - aarrghh!. Let's not forget how harmful the disruption reults are - the resulting lower odds attacks no longer involving those disrupted losses makes the resulting odds uninspiring and often dangerous - we lost several units due to the resulting failures of these attacks making holes for Roman 2:1 auto kills.

We have just ended turn 6, the Gauls have lost 43! units and the Romans - one fort, one 2-9 and one 2-15.

The situation is pictured in the attachment.

Alesia

The siege continues on the 21st of December - and I must say this game has lost none of its luster over the years.

--------------------------------

During some of the downtime, Luke and I setup and finished turn 1 of Risogomento 1859 - The Battle of Magenta. A very attractive game by the most prolific of designers - Richard Berg.

First off, I had no idea their were battles this large in 1859 Europe! Secondly, what a great game packed with solid research and a very good system. It is about the scale of say, Napoleon's Last Battles, with complexity not too far off from that venerable title.

In modern terms, it reminds me of the Glory system, also by RHB.

If it were made today, it might be Chit Pull - what it is is forst an Initiative Roll to see who goea first, and then players alternate activating corps, and can even 'interrupt' the other player's sequence by rolling for 'Activation Continuation' versus the Initiative rating of the Corps you wish to move with (but no corps can activate twice in a row).

The Frogs under Nappy III are better at this than the Austrians.

Figuring out the activation system was the hard part - the rest of the game seems rather striaght forward for a typical grand tactical game. Those familiar with AH's 'Russian Front' will see a situation where units take 'step losses' while not actually losing strenght until completely devoid of steps. However, these are Cohesion Hits that lower a units 'morale value, one ofr one, and that morale level is VERY important for 'Extra Activation' a corp wishing to risk a third activation has to roll against each unit's 'morale', and should it fail, the unit is disordered. Morale differentials are also the key to successful Shock Combat.

Magenta

This also continues on 21 December.

I gave Riso 1859 a solid 8 at the BGG today, and that is my preliminary number for most games that I find I have setup and started play, and being left with 'I want to play more'. The number may go up. Riso has 3 battles in it, and as a bonus, a Point to Point Campaign Game in it at the Operational Level.

---------------

This Wars for Italian Independence has some interesting bits behind it - Magenta the color is named after the battle, and an attempted assassination of Nappy III by a radical Italian Independence agitator that helped set off this war (with Nappy III assisting the Italians) provides all kinds of interesting stories, especially involving one of the co-conspirators who would later emigrate to the US, serve as a Colored Unit commander in the US Army in 1864/1865, and would later serve under Custer, fight at Little Big Horn, and live.

-------------------------------------

BTW, Stuart did a fine job assisting Jean Ann on a cake design (I got the map setting for Hannibal, marked as Rome Total War, and my age at XLV). Chuck, breaking the rules, gave me a book about that chronicles all the actions on a day by day base of Operation Barbarossa, no doubt as part of his nefarious campaign to get us to play his War in the East remake.

Gifts from My family - Asia Engulfed and Empire of the Sun from GMT.
Attachments:
Just poking through the archives and saw this posting. If you like Alesia you'll love Siege of Jerusalem ... also should look into Gringo for GBACW. They have some shorter timewise yet very interesting battles to check out.
Played "Cosmic Encounters" from Fantasy Flight. Not exactly a Historical war game but was fun. I would like to play this again. A gaming club looking for new members introduced me to it. We played at my house because the regular place was closed up. The wife pumped them full of food. She always does this. Don't come to my place if on a diet.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Read: "Vikings at War" by Kim Hjardar and Vegard Vike. A comprehensive military history…"
8 hours ago
Rob B left a comment for Eric Walters
"Thanks for the welcome!"
yesterday
Eric Walters left a comment for Will Kohudic
"GMT's AWAW is indeed a lifestyle, and that's even without the GATHERING STORM and STORM…"
yesterday
"Will, I hear you on the press of responsibilities (family and work).  That's very much…"
yesterday
Will Kohudic left a comment for Eric Walters
"Hi Eric, and thank you. I work full time and have a big family, so it would be most accurate to say…"
Monday
Eric Walters left a comment for Carlos Díaz
"Carlos, welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social website!  Quite a large collection you have, but…"
Monday
Eric Walters left a comment for Rob B
"Welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social website, Rob!  You appear to have some eclectic tastes in…"
Monday
"Welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social Website, Will!  If you only have a few titles, at least you…"
Monday

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

© 2020   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service