We've all done it--either sold these once beloved games or relegated them to the closet shelf or garage forever. Now, I'm not talking about "dogs"--yes, there's little to no emotion save for disgust, disappointment, anger, or even outrage when we kiss them goodbye. But what about games that were your favorites that you no longer play?

Views: 4117

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

GRUNT was a phenomenal game in its day on the subject and hasn't been surpassed to my knowledge in conveying the horrible dilemmas facing a company commander coming up on a village with varying degree of hostiles--

Yes, I do the same thing with old S&T magazines. Still fun to read!
Jem, I've done up replacement counters for Waterloo, and John Cooper's done the same. I think if you check the CSW forum for the game, you can obtain them there.

Actually, John's also done a new map as well as the counters: http://www.jrcooper.com/waterloo.htm
My original game collection and myself parted ways when my dad's basement got some water in it during the floods and rains of '93. I knew I should have taken them with me to DLI and then Ft. Hood. I started to rebuild my collection and get back into the hobby a few years ago. Games that I no longer have that I wish I did:

Gulf Strike
Aegean Strike
Fleet Series
Vietnam
Air & Armor

I'm sure there are others that have faded from memory, but I would love to have these again.
I would be happy to sell you my copy of Gulf Strike! It is in good condition, hardly used. Would you be interested? Where do you live?
Gerard, send me a note about you getting my copy of Vietnam, which I don't think I'll ever play again.
Magic: The Gathering CCG! I loved the game, but it turned into a frakkin' arms race with having to buy more and more cards! The newer cards of my opponents were too powerful for my meager deck.
A former favorite that has been passed by is Turning Point: Stalingrad (AH). Breakout Normandy and Monty's Gamble do much better with refit, determining the defense strength of an area, and taking defender losses. TPS was great in its day, but is obsolete IMHO.

I liked War at Sea too, but don't play it since Victory in the Pacific came out, a game that is much more involved with larger scope and more interesting tactics.

The Russian Campaign may get replaced by Russia Besieged, but I haven't played the latter enough yet. And it is still undergoing some rules tweaks. When the next rules edition comes out it will rival Russian Front as the best game I've played on the subject.
The Age of Renaissance, by TAHGC. Not really a consim, and perhaps that is why it didn't appeal to me. Definitely a developmental theme, with no armed conflict that I can recall. I was expecting Civilization set in the Renaissance but it was more like The Age of Bookkeeping. Not for me, thanks.
I never thought I'd do this, but I put the original SQUAD LEADER into the footlockers, along with CROSS OF IRON, CRESCENDO OF DOOM, and G.I.: ANVIL OF VICTORY. Ever since I got into ASL in 1984 as a playtester, I thought I'd always have the original SQUAD LEADER game and maybe CROSS OF IRON out and ready to play at a moment's notice. And I did play them--relatively often--even with ASL configured scenarios for a number of the same situations. How else could you recruit new blood into ASL?

But now there are the three ASL Starter Kits and I realized I will never pick up the original SQUAD LEADER again, much less the beloved CROSS OF IRON. The ASLSKs--all three of them--are just too good and do a far better job of providing a taste of ASL yet standing up as solid games in their own right.
You gentlemen are all much braver -- and perhaps more honest with yourselves -- than am I. I still hold on to every game I have ever bought -- to include my old AH STALINGRAD and GUADALCANAL games in the hopes I can someday recapture the joy of the summer of 1968 or 1969 when I first played them.

I look in my game closet and there sits my old JUTLAND box. Sadly, most of the ship pieces are long gone, but I recently held the IRON DUKE in my hand and recalled the day when she rescued a badly damaged INVINCIBLE and INDEFATIGABLE from certain destruction by the SEYDLITZ and VON DER TANN one rainly afternoon at my friend Mike's house. His folks had just gotten a divorce, so his living room was completely empty of any furniture. We made six whole hexes to scale on his living room floor and played from sun-up to sun down.

I finally replaced the counters to AFRIKA KORPS and keep telling myself I will one day join Jonathan Lockwood in the AFRIKA KORPS tournament at PREZCON.

I still have my copy of S&T's COMBAT COMMAND and YEAR OF THE RAT. In fact, about three years ago I played YEAR OF THE RAT with Tom Meier and he LOVED it!

I even have the original DIPLOMACY game with the large blocks for armies and the longer, thinner pieces for fleets. I have designed two complete WWI games using that map -- which I could never part with.

Eric, as you know, I bought your copy of WAR IN THE PACIFIC and I dream that someday you and I and three or four others will spend a blissful month or two facing each other across the vast Pacific.

So, when you guys talk of divesting yourself of your games, I find myself feeling a combination of awe at your ability to do so and a little sad to think that you can close these chapters on your lives.

I won't give up my games, I'm afraid, until they peel my cold, stiff fingers from around the dice.

All the very best to you all,

Don Hanle
I agree with Don, It's hard to let go of the old games and all the memories! I will die later and then I will give my games to my younger brother. I will keep all the memories and I will have one game buried with me! Does that sound eccentric?
Well, I don't know about courage and honesty with ourselves--at least for me, Don, it's very much a subjective thing. I still have copies of AH's old STALINGRAD, GUADALCANAL, 1914, BATTLE OF THE BULGE ('65), WATERLOO, and AFRIKA KORPS as well. Most are STILL great to bring new blood into the hobby, even after all these years. Will I every play them again other than to recruit newbies? Probably not. But I hang onto them. And the collector in me has some backup copies still in the shrinkwrap. I really need to part with those someday!

You at least are far more ambitious than I--playing AFRIKA KORPS with the likes of Marty Musella and Jonathan Lockwood is a "bridge too far" for me. I'd never get that good.

I still have my old JUTLAND game and WOODEN SHIPS & IRON MEN, but these have gone into the footlockers/garage as I'll never play them (unless, of course, to recruit new players). Avalanche's JUTLAND game and Clash of Arms' CLOSE ACTION are so much better games and simulations (okay, the Avalanche games aren't quite as good tactically as, say FEAR GOD AND DREAD NAUGHT, but I can deal with it).

I too have the original DIPLOMACY game--large flat purple box and original wooden pieces with such a beautifully large map. I'll never part with it. But it's in the footlockers in the garage. I've got tons of old STRATEGY AND TACTICS magazine games (to include YEAR OF THE RAT and COMBAT COMMAND) and won't part with those either. Some of those, like YEAR OF THE RAT, are not only still good, but they remain the only really good game on the topic.

But there's a lot I will and need to part with. I've got about twelve footlockers of games I must unload at an auction. Includes some collectables (notably The Gamers' original IN THEIR QUIET FIELDS and THUNDER AT THE CROSSROADS, among others), but most are games that were fair to good in their day but have been superceded. Games like West End's SHILOH and CHICKAMAUGA--still good even to this day, but who would play them given what MMP/The Gamers' and GMT have done since? Some near misses like 3W's ARMY GROUP CENTER and THE ALMA. SPI/TSR'S LA GRANDE ARMEE. A copy of SPI's CASSINO with a crushed bookcase box but otherwise in brand new condition.

Games that I've considered timeless I may put into the footlockers and put away, but that doesn't mean I'll part with them or give them up. They just can't take up space on my shelf. All those Joe Balkoski FLEET games, for example. Okay, they're not exactly timeless, but there's little else that was published that could compare with them, and given the current state of affairs, have no threat from any publisher to supercede them. But my copies of 1914 are in the footlockers--why play them given all the other games out there? I still love that title, despite its flaws. Deep, deep nostalgia. Won't give up my copies of PANZERBLITZ and PANZER LEADER either, even though I'll never play them again.

As far as WAR IN THE PACIFIC session, Don, we will need a version that has double-sized hexes and counters--to say nothing of the charts--given our advancing age! I would love to do this....

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Steve K commented on Steve K's blog post Games I'm Playing 2018
"Camperdown 1797 (Flying Colors): The Dutch break for shallow water, British pursue."
22 hours ago
Oliver S. Linßen is now a member of ConsimWorld
22 hours ago
Thomas Margraf joined Scott de Brestian's group
Thumbnail

Michigan Wargamers

A place for gamers around the state to meet and converse.See More
yesterday
Tony Rogers is now a member of ConsimWorld
Wednesday
Louis Robert Coatney commented on Peter Perla's blog post Looking for Chicago wargamer to help with Fletcher Pratt material
"Peter, I knew Dan.  He got me started in (metal) 1:1200s.  6 Italian destroyers and 2…"
Wednesday
Mike Nagel and Christian A. Strasser are now friends
Wednesday
Christian A. Strasser left a comment for Mike Nagel
"I went to your Relative Range site.  It's very interesting.  Of great interest to me…"
Wednesday
Christian A. Strasser left a comment for John Panagotopulos
"Are you still in Moorestown?"
Wednesday

Groups

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2018   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service