looking for a good Kursk game. Average complexity and good solitary game. anyone have some suggestions?

Views: 280

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Are you looking for a game on the battle overall or perhaps a game on one of the tactical engagements that occurred in the overall operation? Really great games on Kursk are hard to name. Some good ones, but I haven't found a great one yet. No doubt because of the situation...
looking for an overall battle game and good will be ok, maybe i should never ask for a 'great game'.
The upcoming S&T Drive on Kursk by Bomba is due out in a few months right after (before?) the Cobra release.

Looks to be a good battle/game with the typical Bomba stuff (i.e., some hate it some love it).

I am looking forward to it.

It would be nice to have a very detailed 2 or 3 mapper on it at the battalion level, a lot of designers are doing the West or North Africa nowadays.
Clash of Titans by someone I can't remember is a decent game on Kursk. I have it and played it a few times but it is not a good battle to simulate in my opinion.
CLASH OF TITANS is a John Desch design and was published by Moments in History in 1998. It's probably the best of the lot so far, but that's not saying much. "Every time I contemplating [playing this game situation], my stomach turns." Adolf Hitler, admittedly paraphrased.

There really isn't much to compare this game with. ZITADELLE: DUEL FOR KURSK (3W, 1992) zooms in on the northern and southern pincer, so you get more of an illusion of movement, but let's face it--as the German player, you are bashing your head against a wall. ERIC GOLDBERG'S KURSK (SPI, 1980) was just okay...and honestly a bit too involved for what you got as a playing experience. We won't even talk about the hoary old 1971 SPI game--hey, when you were a kid back then it was fine, but no longer. I've heard of the Eurogames KURSK title (1993) but never played it. Looks like a yawner on Board Game Geek.

We'll see how Bomba and company do this for SPI/S&T this next time around--I bet the situation will still feel like a slogging match, but maybe we won't have to invest a lot of time to learn and play DRIVE ON KURSK.
A game focused on the southern pincer should be possible to make quite a lot of fun for both player I think (and especially the German!). Not the big sweeping maneuvers but neither any standstill. For the German the pleasure of being able to beat just about anything the Soviet throws against them, and for the Soviet player to always have more to throw in, and thus being able to thwart the German time schedule.
The best one IMHO is almost impossible to get. I had two copies but gave one away to a friend a few years ago.

The components are amazing. And don't trust Boardgamegeek on this one, but you do need the Errata for this to be a winner.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/12583
Kursk 1943: The Northern Pincer

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/25301

A magazine wargame, but low level solitarie
Masahiro did a cleaned-up/refined version of his original 3W release on Kursk under the Six Angles label (Japan). I have it stashed somewhere...was meaning to play it because it looked very good from what I read in the rules. This would probably rank as my favorite, although I would like to try the SPI version, Eric Goldberg's Kursk. I'd also be a fan to see a big and dumb version done of this battle. Something that will take some time to play given it's sheer size, but with a rules set that is not overly cumbersome or complex given the unit density such a design would entail.
I have played MIHs Clash of Titans a few times and I really like it. When it comes to the southern pincer it really is question of what happens when something that can not be stopped slams into something that can not be moved. But historically it got moved and that can happen in the game as well. The game shows the German superiority in tank vs tank engagements really well and also shows that what wears the German down is the struggle through the minefields defended by PAK fronts. It fits really well with the latest(?) research by Zetterling/Franksson.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Don Cooper replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Reading "Napoleon: A Life" by Andrew Roberts. Another book on Napoleon. I couldn't…"
14 hours ago
Jeff Martin joined Jo Bader's group
Thumbnail

Hexdraw Users

a place to discuss which new graphics are needed to realize your MapsSee More
yesterday
Dana Mongoven posted photos
yesterday
Jon W Quinn commented on Steve K's blog post Games I'm Playing 2014
"The Mighty Macrons will rise again! "
yesterday
Steve K commented on Steve K's blog post Games I'm Playing 2014
"A tense 4-player Cosmic Encounters. The newest edition, nice components. The entropy monster got…"
yesterday
Ron Plunk commented on Steve Dixon's group Bombs Away!
"Yes! Perfect timing, as I am starting to prep for my 2015 runnings of my Squadron-rules B-17 games…"
Saturday
Steve Dixon commented on Steve Dixon's group Bombs Away!
"Playtest files for this game will be going out to play testers on Tuesday. We'll be testing…"
Saturday
Enrico CS Viglino posted videos
Saturday
Erin Haight is now a member of ConsimWorld
Friday
Nate replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Clapton's autobiography..Once started, never put down."
Friday
Nate replied to Nate's discussion VCS Salerno
"Brian Youse came on the forum page to let people know that several parts of the game are in…"
Friday
Chuck S. joined Brant Guillory's group
Thumbnail

Triangle Area (NC) Wargaming

Place to link up and plan wargames in/around the Raleigh-Durham area. And we'll let folks from…See More
Friday

Groups

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by John Kranz.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service