I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 5745

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm finishing The Mask of Command by John Keegan. I read before, years ago, and I'm also assigning it as required reading in my Experience of Modern War class at La Roche College.
Just finished The Bliztkrieg Myth by John Mosier.
Currently reading "The Lies of Locke Lamora" by Scott Lynch.
What is that book about?
Aaaaaaaaaagggghhh! My "to read" pile is empty. Book shopping tonight for me!
'The Inverted World' by Christopher Priest.
'Blood Pact', the new Gaunt's Ghosts novel.
The Gulag Archipelago. In a word, harrowing.
Read: "Legionary:The Roman Soldier's (Unofficial) Manual" by Philip Matyszak" Written in a humorous style. Very Good. Recommended.

" Napoleon's Egypt: Invading the Middle East" by Juan Cole. Not a lot different from today. Just OK.
At the moment I am reading Panzer Leader General Heinz Guderian, I am in the middle of the initial year of invasion of Russia. I decided to set up and play Guderian's Blitzkrieg II and kind of play them in tandem. See the post in What are you Playing.

Dave
Daniel Ellsberg's memoirs, entitled SECRETS. I cannot recommend it enough. I didn't know much about Ellsberg other than what I'd read of him and of course I'd pawed through the abridged PENTAGON PAPERS quite a number of times during my research on Vietnam. He was, of course, pilloried by the Nixon administration for leaking all those TOP SECRET documents which comprised McNamara's study on the origins and conduct of the war. So he's never treated very well in most histories. Whether you agree or disagree with what he did, his memoirs explain why he did it, and he's not that kind to himself in the process. So it's not exactly a defensive tone he takes, which surprised me. But most shocking was how he turned from a senior civil servant, working for John McNaughton under McNamara, into what many term a traitor. His reasoning is very, very logical. And chilling because it's very easy to empathize with, especially for those of us who wear uniforms or otherwise work for the government. Best of all, he has an insider's look that is incomparable. Watch as this true believer turns into an icon for the anti-Vietnam War movement in this book.
I"m reading 'Evidence: The Objection Method" by Prater and Saltzburg, and sometimes the 2009 Federal Income Tax Code. It's pretty interesting stuff actually

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Eric Walters left a comment for Christopher A. Lawrence
"Welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social Website!  Am pretty sure you are the same Christopher A.…"
3 hours ago
Manuel P. Ron is now friends with Jeff Fisher and ron brooks
9 hours ago
Jeff Fisher posted a status
"Here is a screen shot from way back when... http://social.consimworld.com/profiles/blogs/2011369:BlogPost:29825"
12 hours ago
"Yep, I wrote them both and seem to have lost everything having to do with the newer and updated program "GTL Editor"..."
12 hours ago
"Everyone, I'm looking for some help. Need a copy of "GTL Editor" which I wrote back in the late 2000... Not "GTL Text Editor" Thanks"
12 hours ago
Jeff Fisher joined Andy Loakes's group
Thumbnail

Limey Yank Games

Do you visit Limey Yank Games for Cyberboard gameboxes, counter scans, etc.? If so please feel free…See More
12 hours ago
Steve commented on Jacob Wikman's group Operational Combat Series Gaming
"I can’t see any comments here after 2013, and no discussions after 2017. Is there an issue…"
yesterday
Christopher A. Lawrence is now a member of ConsimWorld
Monday

Groups

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2019   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service