I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 5543

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Two chapters to go in Enemy at the Gates but I've set that aside to read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clark at the moment.
I'm reading the new edition of A Peace to End All Peace: The Fall of the Ottoman Empire and the Creation of the Modern Middle East, by David Fromkin.
I'm labouring through '334' by Thomas Disch. Not an easy read.
Finished "The Hundred Years War III: Divided Houses" by Jonathan Sumption. The third volume in this series. It was Outstanding, just like the first two. I can't wait till the next volume. This series covers everything: fiscal, social, political, military, and ideological of the main adversaries and not so main of this war. Highly recommended.
Now, you have gotten me very interested. I gather that this is not the usual re-tellings of Agincourt, Crecy and Poiters or new re-constructions of them. The socio-political and economic dimensions would be intriguing as would the whole war as seen from a non-Anglo-Saxon chest-thumping perspective.
Thank you. I will be looking this up.
You are right. Its not the normal re-telling of the battles. It goes into war costs down to the individual soldiers, how the governments operated at this time(Evolution of the English Parliament), and the changes in military practice that would lead to modern warfare for some examples. All the volumes are 500+ to 800+ pages, but well worth the read. The perspectives are from all sides, France, Castile, Portugal, England, Scotland, etc.
"Airlines of the United States since 1914," by R.E.G. Davies. Doin' a little research for a new 18xx-style game on the development of the commercial airline industry, 1920's-60's.
That would be cool! I'd love to see a game with Howard Hughes and Juan Trippe in it.
Well, PanAm was definitely one of the major players in airline development, but their market was more overseas (Latin America, in particular) than continental. As such, they'll be in the game, but they may appear in a modified form, since I'm planning the game to be focused on the continental US.

Howard Hughes (as an individual) really has no place in this game, since it deals with airline company development and management and route development at a high level (no pun intended). Hughes was known more as an aviator than as airline pioneer, and was more of an investor. In game terms, YOU TOO can be just like him and take over a major airline by buying up its stocks! But personalities are not a component of the game.
Right now, I'm reading the 2009 edition of A Peace to End All Peace: The Fall of the Ottoman Empire and the Creation of the Modern Middle East, by David Fromkin.
I'm finally finishing "Hitler's Greatest Defeat: The collapse of Army Group Centre, June 1944" by Paul Adair, fifteen or so years after I had bought it.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Yes, Rebus is his main character. I've seen a Rebus book with the "Complaints…"
yesterday
Chuang Shyue Chou replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"I have yet to try the Rebus ones. The Rebus ones, I understand, is his primary vehicle. I know that…"
Thursday
Chuang Shyue Chou commented on Jim Werbaneth's blog post Free Time to Work on Line of Departure Issue 83
"Yikes!"
Thursday
Roger Bridges is now a member of ConsimWorld
Wednesday
Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"I've read Rankin's John Rebus detective novels only till now. The "Witch Hunt"…"
Wednesday
Jim Werbaneth commented on Jim Werbaneth's blog post Free Time to Work on Line of Departure Issue 83
"And I didn't find Jesus in prison!"
Wednesday
Chuang Shyue Chou commented on Jim Werbaneth's blog post Free Time to Work on Line of Departure Issue 83
"Do remember to add to your profile that you are and were a Facebook convict! You have done time!…"
Wednesday
Jim Werbaneth updated their profile
Wednesday

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2019   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service