I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 6279

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I finished '334' by Thomas M. Disch last night, very sad, very moving. Nightmarish in a sense. I sense parallels with the end of Disch's own life with regards to Mrs Hanson.
Read: "The Greatest Knight: The Unsung Story of the Queen's Champion" by Elizabeth Chadwick. A Bio in Novel form of William Marshall, probably the greatest individual of his generation. Very Good and recommended. Hollywood would not be able to do him justice.

"The Dead of Winter" by Rennie Airth. Murder mystery in 1944 London. Very good and recommended.
The Price of Glory , Alistair Horne.
Just finished reading British writer, Ian Rankin's "Hide and Seek", one of his Inspector Rebus' mysteries. Continuing to work my way through David A Clary's "Empire and Eagles: United States, Mexico and the Struggle for a Continent", an opus on the Mexican War. This is useful reading for all Gringo gamers. You get a good view of the combatants and the American side ain't pretty (those lawless volunteer units). Got Kati Marton's "Wallenberg" in the wings. Our library system here in Monmouth County, NJ, is excellent. Spring is in air, enjoy.
The Bible ....in Latin!!
Read: "The Welsh Kings: Warrior, Warlords, and Princes" by Kari Maund. Average. It was hard to keep tract of the long-winded Welsh names.

"Tear Down this Wall: A city, A President, and the Speech That Ended the Cold War" by Romesh Ratnesar. Very Good. Recommend.
Thanks for the tip (for Tear Down this Wall). I'm going through a Cold War phase.
I just picked up a copy (discounted at $7) of Rick Atkinson's "The Day of Battle"; the US Army in the war in Sicily and Italy, 1943-1944. I recently had a trip to Italy so it will be hard to imagine that beautiful country on the yoke of war as I read this account.
You will find this book an amazing tale. I finished it last summer and found this volume as good as his first on the US Army in North Africa. I believe his last book in the trilogy will be the best yet. As my dad was wounded at Anzio and never really talked about happened in that campaign, after reading the book I understand why. A story of courage, stupidity and a human meatgrinder beyond imagining. Check out the numerous reviews worth reading on the barnes and noble website (bn.com). I have a good reposte there to some "expert"'s review.
I like it too, but wish that he'd gone further than the liberation of Rome; there was a lot more story to tell with the rest of the march up Italy.
Read: "Famous Welsh Battles" by Philip Warner. Good

"The Great Partition: The Making of India and Pakistan" by Yasmin Khan. Excellent overview of this calamity for India. Recommend.
I have just finished Geoffrey Parker's 'The Military Revolution' and I am now in the middle of Gene Wolfe's 'The Fifth Head of Cerberus'.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Read: "The Accidental President: Harry S. Truman and the Four Months that Changed the…"
23 hours ago
John Kranz posted a blog post

Moving to New Platform

I wanted to alert everyone that we are moving to a new social platform in the coming days/weeks.…See More
Monday
Phil Buczkowski joined Brian Blad's group
Thumbnail

Great Battles of the American Civil War

This is the place to discuss GMT/Richard Berg's GBACW series of games
Sunday
Phil Buczkowski joined Ed Beach's group
Thumbnail

Great Campaigns of the American Civil War

Fans of the GCACW series. Titles include: Stonewall Jackson's Way, Here Come The Rebels, Roads to…See More
Sunday
Phil Buczkowski joined Hans van Der Drift's group
Thumbnail

The Pax System by RHB

One of my favorite games is Pax RomanaI thought this would be good place to find like minded…See More
Sunday
Phil Buczkowski joined Charlescab's group
Thumbnail

command and colors ancients CCA

For fans of Command and Colors Ancients
Sunday
Phil Buczkowski joined Jan Wiescher's group
Thumbnail

World in Flames

A place for fans of this fantastic ADG game.
Sunday
Ian Schofield posted photos
Saturday

Groups

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

© 2020   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service