I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 6212

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I must say, Makers of Ancient Strategy is quite a worthy precursor to Paret's Makers of Modern Strategy (revised from the old Earle classic). The list of contributors will be familiar to anyone current in modern scholarship on ancient warfare--Adrian Goldsworthy, Donald Kagan, and Hanson himself, plus several others. What these essays do best is look at ancient strategy through the lens of current concerns which, as it turns out, aren't so current. So we have chapters on "Urban Warfare in the Classical Greek World" and "Counterinsurgency and the Enemies of Rome" for example! Highly recommended.
Read:"The Greatest Traitor:The Life of Sir Roger Mortimer, Ruler of England 1327-1330" by Ian Mortimer & "Queen Isabella" by Alison Weir. These books compliment each other. These people were lovers. Roger Mortimer was a early Cromwell while Isabella was Queen of England. She also was in the movie "Brave Heart" as Wallace's lover. Hollywood does it again. Isabella did not arrive in England till 1308 as a 12 year old. Wallace was killed in 1305. Both books very good and recommended.
Sir Walter Raleigh by Raleigh Trevelyan: A very colorful character that came to an unfortunate end...
Recently read:
Fields of Blood: The Prairie Grove Campaign by William Shea - very good. (ACW)
Southern Storm: Sherman's March to the Sea by Noah Andre Trudeau - VERY good. (ACW)
Shiloh: The Battle that Changed the Civil War by Larry Daniel - ok/good on recounting the battles, but his postulations of why/what went wrong gets long at times. (ACW)

---Russ
After watching The Pacific HBO series, I have been reading Ronald Spector's Eagle Against the Sun, along with Jersey's Hell's Islands and Miller's volume from the U.S. Army in WW II on Guadalcanal. I never have read much on the Pacific Theater, so these are good reads for me. I have also picked up Richard Frank's book Guadalcanal.
I read Eagle Against the Sun, and it's terrific; I found out it's being used as a textbook in American Military University's graduate program in military history, so I know that I'll get acquainted again with it sometime in the next year. Frank's Guadalcanal is also exceptional, and should be viewed as a standard work.
Hi Jim;

I read Spector's book at West Point 20 years ago as one of the textbooks for a class, and it is still a standard overview for the war. I just started Frank's book, so I am looking forward to it!
Hi Mike;

Thanks. I will have to add this one to my list.

Brett
Victor Davis Hanson's latest showed up from AMAZON.COM yesterday, The Father of Us All: War and History, Ancient and Modern. A collection and refinement of various essays he's written over a number of years. Greatly expands on his books Carnage and Culture and Ripples of Battle at first glance. Will let you know what I think when I'm done reading it. In the meantime, I'm busy researching a lot of military history for General Mattis who is putting together a publication on "Design in Military Operations." Basically selecting and writing up examples of good design, mostly at the level of operational art.
Lost to the West by Lars Brownworth. It's a very general overview of Byzantine history the Empire's role in preserving Western civilization through the Dark Ages.
I have that on my list to read. Byzantine(Roman) History one of my favorites.
I have just re-read every Tintin volume last week except for 'Tintin in the Congo'. I just finished a crime novel 'Semiautomatic' by Robert Reuland. Right now, I am reading:

Six Impossible Things before Breakfast - Lewis Wolpert
The Marx Sisters - Barry Maitland
The City and the Stars - Arthur C. Clarke
In Defence of Atheism: The Case against Christianity, Judaism and Islam - Michel Onfray
The Greatest Show on Earth - Richard Dawkins

and a couple of others which escape me now. Nothing military. Heh. Wait, I was reading something on the E-Boats (S-Boats) last night.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Jeff Duffy updated their profile
Friday
Mike Palmer posted a discussion

Cora, The Normandy Campaign Decision Games

Hi, I'm currently learning the rules for Cobra, The Normandy campaign by Decision Games. I hope…See More
Thursday
Zachary Miller left a comment for Eric Walters
"Thanks for the hearty welcome, Eric. I really like COH 3rd edition. The extra roll really adds that…"
Thursday
Dave Smith posted a blog post

A bit of a mystery.... who can solve this one?

When I returned to board wargaming in 2000 I started buying up used games and magazines from our…See More
Wednesday
Eric Walters left a comment for Zachary Miller
"Zachary, welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social website!  Am guessing you are quite happy with COH…"
Wednesday
Eric Walters left a comment for Frank E Watson
"Frank, as a fellow RAGEr, I'm personally glad to see you here!  Welcome to the…"
Wednesday
Profile IconFrank E Watson and Zachary Miller joined ConsimWorld
Wednesday
Joseph replied to John Kranz's discussion What are you playing?
"Played: Decision Games "RAF" intro twice. Brits hung on. Good game. Nuts! Publishing game…"
Sep 21

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

© 2020   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service