I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 6359

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Jim;

That is one of my favorite books. Read it the first time in High School, and then heard Chandler speak a few times at West Point. Yeah, it's long, but you won't put it down.
I'm finding that out now. Chandler wasn't just a leading scholar, but an outstanding writer too.
Just finished two interesting books. The first was "We Were One" by Patrick O'Donnell about the Marines in Fallujah in 2004. O'Donnell captures the fight through the eyes of 3/1 Marines.

Not getting enough of the Marines I then read "Victory Point" by Ed Darack. This was about Marines in Afganistan during Operations Red Wings and Whalers in 2005. Red Wings was the mission where Marcus Luttrell was ambushed with his SEAL team. Interesting point about this story is the Marine's use of the principles of the "Small Wars Manual" in this modern fight. Sort of building on Kim Kanger's recent blog about counterinsurgency it is interesting that this decades old Marine text can still have applications in the modern world.
Since I am playing SPI's Pea Ridge, I thought I would read Pea Ridge by William Shea. A very good riveting account of the why's of the battle, as well as the how's. I really never knew much about this battle (even though I am from Little Rock, Arkansas), but am finding it facinating. The personalities, the environment (the weather and terrain of a winter campaign in the Ozark Mountans), and the soldiers themselves all add to the intensity of the battle. The conditions these soldiers fought in were horrible, yet the men showed bravery and determination throughout the campaign. Shea's book is a great read so far.
Great to hear that that classic game is still being played. Pea Ridge, considered the Gettysburg of the West. Let us know when you finish Shea's book whether that is an accurate description of the battle. My Staten Island buddy and I have concluded our second Gettysburg struggle employing GMT's Three Days of Gettysburg. Ended with rebel pull out around 1600 hours of the first day. Over 40 Union entrenchments scattered in front of the divisions of AP Hill, Pender, Rodes and Early meant heavy casualties and little progress. So now we move onto World War II and begin play of GMT's new game, Battle for Normandy.
I'm reading South to the Naktong, North to the Yalu by Roy E. Appleman .
Read: "The End of Empire: Attila the Hun & the Fall of Rome" by Christopher Kelly. About the fall of a Super-State where the members don't care to waste their time in defending it or selling it out. Sounds like present times to me. Very Good and recommended.
Karl Edward Wagners, Kane, Bloodstone...again. what a wild riotous ride.
Those are definite classics, and I'll never give up mine.
I have been reading the Barry Maitland Kathy and Brock mysteries. It has been a while since I read crime fiction.

The Marx Sisters
All my Enemies
Malcontenta
The Chalon Heads

They have been vastly entertaining.

I have also read two Osprey volumes, namely, one on German destroyers and one on e-boats of World War II. Competent introductory volumes. I didn't like the computer generated graphics. I would prefer the previously painted ones found in other volumes.
Just finished "D Day The Battle for Normandy" by Antony Beevor. Loved it. As I was reading it reminded me of Cornelius Ryan's "The Longest Day" in writing style. I enjoyed Beevor's take on leadership and the role the French resistence had in the campaign. I am now motivated to break out the "Longest Day" by Avalon Hill and set it up and try a campaign game.
I finished 'The Great Gamble: The Soviet War in Afghanistan' by Gregory Feifer two days back. Of course, the book has parallels with the current situation. The question is, can the right lessons be drawn?

Shyue Chou's Law.
'People don't learn from history and if they do, they learn the wrong lessons anyway.'

Heheh.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Jo Bader commented on Jo Bader's group Second Front
"https://youtu.be/wwGRNztdBTkIn this short video we illustrate how we create maps for the…"
Wednesday
Dave Davieau commented on Brian Blad's group Advanced Squad Leader!
"Thanks Paul. I'm one of those & I know all but 1 of these excellent Gents :)"
Feb 21
Paul Blankenship commented on Brian Blad's group Advanced Squad Leader!
"Hi Dave - the ASL players map has a few but the link may be out of…"
Feb 21
Dave Davieau updated their profile
Feb 21
Dave Davieau commented on Brian Blad's group Advanced Squad Leader!
"Hi Guys, Long time SL/ASLer. Anybody else in Alaska?"
Feb 21
Dave Davieau commented on Jan Wiescher's group World in Flames
"Hi WiFers! My buddy in FL & I are deep into Waking Giant (WiFCE) ( on Vassal). I hope this is a…"
Feb 21
Dave Davieau commented on Matt Severns's group Compass Games
"I'm currently reading the RB for Compass' The War. I'm very intrigued by this game!…"
Feb 21
Dave Davieau commented on Eric Walters's group Avalanche Press -- PanzerGrenadier System
"These are my custom scenario tracking pages Scenario_Tracking_2021.pdf"
Feb 21

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2021   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service