I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 5509

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It would be, but I read at bedtime mostly and I have early mornings. I tend not to push too far beyond a certain hour as I know the alarm in the morning comes all too soon. :0/
I'm reading 'A war like no other' by Victor Davis Hanson and also the 'Landmark Thucydides'.
I'll be anxious to hear how you like it. Hanson is a first rate classics man, but a third rate political commentator... It good to see he's returning to his roots.

Really Mr. Smith? Third rate? Have you read Professor Hanson's commentary this past year? What do you think now that it is June of 2012?

Read: "Dresden: Tuesday, February 13, 1945" by Frederick Taylor. A excellent read on the fire bombing of Dresden and the controversy on it as a military target. The author's case is" it was a legitimate target". It was. Recommended.

I'm reading 'Europe's Tragedy: A History of the Thirty Years War' by Peter H. Wilson.

I got the American edition which has a different cover from the British one. And also a different cover from the softcover edition. Anyway, the American edition is a lot less expensive though if I had to choose a cover, this would have been my preferred cover.
Started reading Corregidor: From Paradise to Hell! by Ben Waldron. I'm only a few chapters in, but I'm thinking this will be a quick read. Partly because it's well written and partly because I have a hard time putting it down. :0)
Just finished Rescue of Streetcar 304: A Navy Pilot's Forty Hours on the Run in Laos by the shot-down pilot - Kenny Wayne Fields. His research included interviews over the years with nearly every other pilot involved so it's not just his side of the story, and this makes for rich reading.

It was interesting to learn how complex these SAR operations are - they turn into some of the largest air operations of the war (186 sorties if memory serves). The amount of ordnance used is also surprising, but less so than the fact that the NVA / Pathet Lao were able to keep the planes at bay for two days. It would appear that this is because, contrary to what the rescue pilots requested, much of the ordnance sent was in form of GP bombs rather than CBU's, the latter being far more effective against infantry in trenches (where the AAA gunners would retreat when the attacking planes released their loads).

This touches on something I'd read elsewhere about studies showing much of the *real* effect of pre-laser-guided weaponry against ground troops is psychological rather than physical (the study was from WW2, IIRC).
Read: "Wellington's Rifles: Six Years to Waterloo with England's Legendary Sharpshooters" by Mark Urban. A history of the 95th Rifles(Green Jackets) from 1809-1815 and the battles they had and the evolution of their tactics and how it effected the British Army as a whole. Very Good and recommended.

"Wellington Invades France: The final Phase of the Peninsula War 1813-1814" by Ian C. Robertson. Very dry read and recommended for the Napoleonic Fan.
I have the Urban tome lying around for years but I haven't found the time to read it.
I found Urban's book at my Library by chance. Usually, my library is not to good for History. I was browsing while waiting for the wife and was pleasantly surprised at the History books they now had. The book is based on memoirs of individual soldiers and filled in with other records. A very good book and fills in Cornwell's Sharpe series I've been reading. Sharpe was in the 95th Rifles. Give it a go.
I am reading"My Awakening" by David Duke. Sort of a thick book, but a good read.

Chas. Q. M.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Scott Martin left a comment for Eric Walters
"Sounds like a plan."
6 hours ago
Eric Walters left a comment for Scott Martin
"When I do slow down, it would have to be RUSSIAN CAMPAIGN!  I love that game so much!"
6 hours ago
"I have been recently replenishing my collection of AH and SPI games.  AK or Stalingrad (or The…"
Thursday
"Well it was current about 15 years ago, give or take... I've been in the SF Bay Area for the…"
Thursday
Eric Walters commented on Eric Walters's group Marine Maneuver Warfare Wargamers
"New game out on small unit infantry combat in the Central Highlands of Vietnam--yes, it's all…"
Wednesday
"Sometime I should get into VASSAL--I just never have time for it these days with school,…"
Wednesday
"The current T-shirt looks terrific!  I like the "roll well and live" design on it!"
Wednesday
Chuang Shyue Chou replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"I have just started on the two volumes on French tanks by Steven Zaloga. This was sparked by…"
Wednesday

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2019   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service