I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 5423

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My copy's picture has Queen Victoria at the top and a British howitzer and crew with sun helmets about to fire at the bottom. No, I have not read "Send a Gunboat". Presently reading "Like Wolves on the Fold. Its about the siege of Rorke's Drift.
By coincidence, I was looking at a picture of a British officer making a last stand with his trusty .455 Webley revolver and cavalry sword at Battle of Isandlwana last night. I was reading about the different Webley and Scott pistols too.
I'll have to watch the Movie "Zulu" again. Great Movie.
Reading Hitler Moves East by Paul Carell. He writes of the invasion of Russia from the German perspective but seems fair to all.
Yes I read that book and the follow up. I wish Mr Carell had writen a third book that would have finished up the war.
I just finished Shelby Foote's Civil War. I think the best book on this subject. Soon will finish Stranger in a Strange Land. Fighting off the urge to purchase more WW2 books. Running out of room.
Read: "Like Wolves on the Fold:The Defense of Rorke's Drift" by L. Col. Mike Snook. Very good play by play of the battle against overwhelming odds. Recommended.

"They Must be Stopped: Why we must Defeat Radical Islam and How We can Do It" by Brigitte Gabriel. Excellent follow up to her first book "Because they Hate" which was more a auto-Bio. Still goes shy of the real enemy but highly recommended.
Read: "Echo" by Jack McDevitt. His latest Benedict story.(Sci-Fi) Benedict is at it again. A mystery, 30 yrs. old, of possible alien life or ?. Very Good and recommended.

"A Naming of the Dead" by Ian Rankin. A political-murder mystery novel that takes place during the G8 conference in Edinburgh, Scotland and the muslim razzia against London of July, 2005. Very Good and Recommended.
Reading Terence Zuber's latest, THE MYTH OF MONS. You can practically skip the first third of the book; it reads a lot like his ARDENNES 1914 regarding the state of German tactical training. He makes a more compelling argument in this recent book regarding demolishing the myths of BEF prowess at Mons and Le Cateau than his more nebulous assertions regarding why the French lost the Battles of the Frontiers in the former. Also enjoying John McManus's GRUNTS and about to crack Volume III of John Gill's 1809: THUNDER ON THE DANUBE trilogy on Wagram and Znaim. Just finished Dave Glantz's DERAILING BARBAROSSA Volume 1 on Smolensk--absolutely stunning work with tons of documentary evidence (orders, reports, etc). If I thought MMP's A VICTORY DENIED made me stop playing PANZERGRUPPE GUDERIAN, that's now been sealed after reading this book.
Read: Two more Ian Rankin books on John Rebus. "Knots and Crosses". First novel on DI Rebus. The beginning story but only So-So. A serial killer with Rebus having the clues and not knowing it.

"Exit Music". Very Good and recommended. Last novel on DI Rebus. He retires at the end. Scotland is preparing for succession from the UK and looking for foreign investors such as Russian fat cats. A Russian dies and Rebus is on it.

Sci-Fi Novel: "Terminal World" by Alastair Reynolds. A strange story of a world were technology and life can only exists in special land zones. Cross from one of higher tech/life to lower and the tech will not function and life without custom drugs will die. Something happen in past times to cause this. Very good and recommended. I have read other books by Mr. Reynolds and the sky is the limit on his imagination on future science and culture.
Starting to delve into J.E. Lendon's latest: SONG OF WRATH: THE PELOPONNESIAN WAR BEGINS. Am also plowing through John Gill's trilogy, 1809: THUNDER ON THE DANUBE.
I just started reading The U.S. Army and Irregular Warfare 1775-2007, from the Center of Military History. Since I started this afternoon, the only one of the papers that I've completed is the first one, on asymmetric warfare was practiced by Mohamed, and its relevance to counterinsurgency in the modern Muslim world.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

John Edwards is now a member of ConsimWorld
3 hours ago
Bob DeSilva commented on Eric Walters's group All That is Avalon Hill
"Anyone know where I can get a counter list for Tobruk?"
18 hours ago
Bob DeSilva joined Eric Walters's group
Thumbnail

All That is Avalon Hill

Recalling everything that was the old Avalon Hill Game Company and playing the new stuff since…See More
18 hours ago
Mark Traylor left a comment for Steve
"Steve:  Welcome to the area.  No ftf groups that I know of.  I generally have only…"
Sunday
Mark Traylor and Steve are now friends
Sunday
Eric Walters posted a photo

CATACLYSM -- early 1941-1942 Turn

In commemoration of the anniversary of both Operation BARBAROSSA and Operation BAGRATION on…
Sunday
zatoichi is now a member of ConsimWorld
Sunday
Steve joined Steve Dixon's group
Thumbnail

Operation Nordwind, Dec. 31, 1944 to January 18, 1945

Currently looking for play testers for this card driven game. It's meant to introduce new players…See More
Sunday

Groups

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2019   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service