I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 6278

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

DEFINITELY worth picking up, as I really enjoyed the variety as well as the level of scholarship.  Plus, in electronic form it's free!

I'm reading 'Mind: A Brief Introduction' by John Searle.

And a few other volumes.

Read: "Set in Darkness" by Ian Rankin. A John Rebus Novel on the building of the first Scottish Parliament for a future independent Scotland. Where there is lots of taxpayer money to be had there is darkness. Three murders unconnected but maybe not. Very Good. Recommended.

"The Lisbon Crossing" by Tom Gabbay. Set in Lisbon and Paris during 1940. A Political mystery that has implications on the future of WWII. Paris is already occupied by the Germans. Very Good and Recommended.

I'm reading "Imperial Armies of the Thirty Years’ War (2): Cavalry" now.

Read: "Fleshmarket Alley" by Ian Rankin. Another good one by Mr. Rankin. A novel on the illegals in Scotland and the corruption in high and low places. Sounds very similar to the same problems over here in the US of A. Recommended.

"Sailing from Byzantium: How a Lost Empire Shaped the World" by Colin Wells. The story of how Byzantium passed on to the world, especially in the West, the ideas of the Greek/Hellenistic culture of the past that helped rationalism win out over the supernatural. Within a few decades, this culture would be extinguished by the oncoming muslim hordes. Very Good and Recommended.

I received a stack of books for Christmas. I'm starting with "The Zookeeper's Wife", an account of the war years (WWII) as experienced by the wife of the zookeeper in Warsaw. Both the zookeeper and his wife kept copious notes, it appears, and the author apparently did an amazing amount of research. After reading so many books written from the military viewpoint, this is a very different look at the war for me.

Read: "The Ghosts of Cannae: Hannibal and the Darkest Hour of the Roman Republic" by Robert L. O'Connell. This covers the 2nd Punic War but the central event is Cannae and the ramifications of this lost battle to the Roman Republic. Very well written and engrossing. Its the author's contention that the treatment by the Roman Gov. and people of the Roman survivors(Ghosts) of Cannae had long term problems for the Republic that led directly to its soliders switching their loyalty to their generals over the State and leading to the fall of the same. Mildly similar to the Vietnam Vets in America.

"Cannae" by Adrian Goldsworthy. This is specifically on the Battle of Cannae and nothing else. 

Both books are very good in their own ways and recommended. The first book is the best of the two.

I'm reading '

Singapore Through 19Th Century Prints & Paintings' by

Wong Hong Suen; Roxana Waterson.

I'm reading an old classic, "The Three Little Pigs"!
Just started "The Little Book of String Theory". I'm two chapters in and I'm not lost yet. Then again... there are about six more chapters to go, so there's still time.
I found that, while this is good daytime reading, I have more difficulty following along in the evening. So I read the "Little Book" at lunch and have started C.S. Lewis' "The Screwtape Letters" for bedtime reading.
We read The Screwtape Letters in a high school English class about religion in literature, taught by a Presbyterian minister.  It was definitely a good read.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Read: "The Accidental President: Harry S. Truman and the Four Months that Changed the…"
1 hour ago
John Kranz posted a blog post

Moving to New Platform

I wanted to alert everyone that we are moving to a new social platform in the coming days/weeks.…See More
yesterday
Phil Buczkowski joined Brian Blad's group
Thumbnail

Great Battles of the American Civil War

This is the place to discuss GMT/Richard Berg's GBACW series of games
Sunday
Phil Buczkowski joined Ed Beach's group
Thumbnail

Great Campaigns of the American Civil War

Fans of the GCACW series. Titles include: Stonewall Jackson's Way, Here Come The Rebels, Roads to…See More
Sunday
Phil Buczkowski joined Hans van Der Drift's group
Thumbnail

The Pax System by RHB

One of my favorite games is Pax RomanaI thought this would be good place to find like minded…See More
Sunday
Phil Buczkowski joined Charlescab's group
Thumbnail

command and colors ancients CCA

For fans of Command and Colors Ancients
Sunday
Phil Buczkowski joined Jan Wiescher's group
Thumbnail

World in Flames

A place for fans of this fantastic ADG game.
Sunday
Ian Schofield posted photos
Saturday

Groups

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

© 2020   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service