I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 6214

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Read: "Inferno: The fiery Destruction of Hamburg 1943" by Keith Lowe. A well balanced read on this bombing. The author describes in good detail both sides of the story. The Americans were still learning their trade. They were shot up real bad. This was the first use of "Window" to stymie German air defense radars and proved a great success. The Germans would develop new defensive measures to counter this. Highly Recommended. 

"The Blitzkrieg Myth: How Hitler and the Allies Misread the Strategic Realities of World War II" by John Mosier.   The author claims that the theories of how to use tanks and aircraft by both the Germans and the Allies(West) were faulty. He picks certain campaigns, such as Poland, France 1940, Bulge 1944, etc. to show that both the Germans and Western Allies were wrong in the belief" that the tank and plane will always win out". He prefers the term "Breakthrough" for Blitzkrieg. He believes Montgomery was the best General for the Western Allies even tho he points out his faults. This statement along will raise eyebrows everywhere. The Russians are only mention in passing; the T34 was the best tank of any side in the war. Very Good and Recommended. The author has another book on WWI along the same lines as this one. Will have to check it out. 

I'm reading 'Machine Gun: The Development of the Machine Gun from the Nineteenth Century to the Present Day' by Maxim Popenker and Anthony G. Williams. I finished another volume by the same authors on combat handguns recently.

I am reading 'Yukikaze' by Chohei Kambayashi.

And 'All you need is kill' by Hiroshi Sakurazaka.

http://www.haikasoru.com/all-you-need-is-kill/

These are very different from that collection of Japanese science fiction stories that I read decades ago. This new generation has themes on warfare, technological devices, androids, powered suits and more whereas the old ones were more magical realist and fantasy than truly hard science, space opera or even cyberpunk. Heh.

Yes, I have a habit of concurrently reading six or seven volumes.

Read: "The Roman Empire at Bay AD180-395" by David S. Potter. A good book but dry in places. Covers the evolution of the Empire from a more open culture to a centralized one. This is a result of internal and external problems it faced and how they were resolved for better or worse. 20/20 hindsight is always good. The result was a much more centralized State that tried to control all things that only helped the collapse in the West. A quote from the author: " The members of the governing class who saw government as a tool to satisfy their own ends and were more concerned with immediate advantage than long-term success of the state." Exactly like the West is today. Recommended for those with a interest in Roman History.

"Hull Zero Three" by Greg Bear. A sci-fi novel on a naked man awaken on a spaceship, who has no idea what is going on, and beset by monsters, cold, and other dangers in a quest to survive and figure this all out. I've seen a sci-fi horror movie on something similar. Very Good and recommended.

"DeathRide Hitler VS. Stalin: The Eastern Front, 1941-1945" by John Mosier. The author's premise is; all the stories on the numbers of Soviet killed, production of materials, quality of Soviets in battle, and the Russian people's partisan battles is pure fantasy. This includes the so-called info coming out after the fall of the Soviet Union. Stalin created this "Myth" we have read about in countless books, etc.  Hitler would have crushed the Soviets but for one main reason. The Western Allies with their forces fighting in the west and material sent to the Soviets, saved the commies, period. No other reason. The Soviets would of ran out of resources and manpower before the Germans would have. Creates a good debate. I liked it but not totally sold on it. Using the author's info would create alternative scenarios for Russian Front Campaigns. Recommended.

Currently reading "Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene. Not exactly wargaming material but it will certainly make your head spin!

Read: "The Road to Jerusalem" by Jan Guillou. First Vol. in the author's Crusades Trilogy. A historical novel on a Swedish Knight Templar. Translated from the Swedish so, it assumes knowledge of Medieval Sweden. Will have to Google somewhat for clarification but excellent info on how Sweden formed into the country it would become. Highly recommended.

"Islamic Jihad: A Legacy of Forced Conversion, Imperialism, and Slavery" by M.A. Khan. Excellent book on islam's true nature. Covers the rise of mohammed as Dictator of Arabia using the usual methods all dictators have used since Adam and Eve. The title suggests a world view but not quite correct. Its focus is on the Brutal muslim invasions of India and Southeast Asia with overviews of Europe, Middle East, and Africa. This makes it a great buy since most books I come across like this are too Euro-centric. It goes down to the quantum level on its subject. Very Highly Recommended.Could be used for info on a follow up game to GMT's "Chandragupta".

"The Prefect" by Alastair Reynolds. A Sci-Fi novel a few centuries into the future. A futuristic conspiracy with warbots, murder, technology way out there, and humans who have bio-engineered themselves into strange lifeforms. I have read several of this authors other books which were mostly very good. This is a prequel to his Revelation and Chasm City stories. Very Good and Recommended.

Caught up on my W&W, S&T, Ancient Warfare, and latest ATO mag. All good except the ATO mag. stories on muslim vs Christians. The author used the Shirley Sherrod editing technique.

Nearly finished 'The March of Folly' by Barbara Tuchman..whilst hindsight is a wonderful thing, there are still some downright dumb decisons on show in this fine book.

Hope to start John Gill's 3 volume work '1809' in the next week or so...looks like an epic read.

Read: "Whirlwind: The Air War Against Japan 1942-1945" by Barrett Tillman. Excellent. Covers both the American Navel and Army air combat against the home Islands of Japan. It includes the British forces in 1945, also. The Japanese looked on Air Defense just like their Merchant Shipping defense. Not very honorable, so by the time they realize the problem it was too late. This saved a lot of Allied lives. Highly Recommended.

"Rhineland: The Battle to End the War" by Brigadier Denis Whitaker and Shelagh Whitaker. Covers the fighting on both sides  from about Jan 1945 to the end of the war in the West. This is the story of the Canadians and British with the 9th American Army under the 21st Army Group and their drive through the Rhineland to the Rhine River and the breakout across this river. Very Good and Recommended.

"Citizen Soldier" by Omar Bradley

Bob D.

Right now I'm about halfway through Battle Cry of Freedom, by James McPherson.  I'm using that as the text book for the online class on the Civil War that I'm going to teach, starting toward the end of the month.
C. J. Chivers, THE GUN.  Marvelous discussion on the rise of automatic assault rifles.  Engrossing reading.  Debunks a lot of myths surrounding the famed Kalashnikov line, particularly the AK-47.

Read: "Nelson's Trafalgar: The Battle that Changed the World" by Roy Adkins. Just so-so. The author uses to many personal stories which slows the action down.

"A God Who Hates: The Courageous Woman Who Inflamed the Muslim World Speaks out against the Evils of Islam" by Wafa Sultan. The title says it all. A must read. Very Highly recommended.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Read: "Vikings at War" by Kim Hjardar and Vegard Vike. A comprehensive military history…"
1 hour ago
Rob B left a comment for Eric Walters
"Thanks for the welcome!"
yesterday
Eric Walters left a comment for Will Kohudic
"GMT's AWAW is indeed a lifestyle, and that's even without the GATHERING STORM and STORM…"
yesterday
"Will, I hear you on the press of responsibilities (family and work).  That's very much…"
yesterday
Will Kohudic left a comment for Eric Walters
"Hi Eric, and thank you. I work full time and have a big family, so it would be most accurate to say…"
Monday
Eric Walters left a comment for Carlos Díaz
"Carlos, welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social website!  Quite a large collection you have, but…"
Monday
Eric Walters left a comment for Rob B
"Welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social website, Rob!  You appear to have some eclectic tastes in…"
Monday
"Welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social Website, Will!  If you only have a few titles, at least you…"
Monday

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

© 2020   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service