I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 6278

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Read: Retribution: The Battle for Japan, 1944-45" by Max Hastings. Excellent book and highly recommended. Covers all parties such as Aussies, Chinese, Soviets along side the main players; America and Japan.
Read: "Armageddon: The Battle for Germany 1944-1945" by Max Hastings. Very Good. His expose on the Soviet front was very good and the inner conflict among the Western Allies was most interesting but not as good as his book on the last days of Japan mention above this post. Recommended.
Right now, I'm finishing Roanoke Island: The Beginnings of English North America, by David Stick.  It's very readable, and pretty sound for the most part, but he author has a disturbing tendency to speculate on the thoughts going through people's heads, without any direct evidence whatsoever.
Just finished About Face by David Hackworth. When you get past the author's ego and read his observations critically it is very interesting. I just started the Strongest Tribe by Bing Wset about Iraq. This is a few years old now but still quite illuminating. Reading these two books back to back has caused me to really think about military and political thinking in times of war.
Am reading "Spandau: The Secret Diaries", by Albert Speer.  One reason for reading it is that I had heard the Hitler came up with the idea of building a long range bomber that could fly to NYC and crash into skyscrapers.  Supposedly, if true, the muslims stole the idea to carry out 911.  Could be true...they both hate or hated the Jews!
I found both About Face and Black Edelweiss very good reading and would recommend both.  At the moment I'm about half way through Vietnam's Forgotten Army: Heroism and Betrayal in the ARVN by Andrew Wiest (fwd by Jim Webb).  I find that it's very well written and informative.

Nadir, I actually wrote up a case for II Marine Expeditionary Force based on that story by Wiest.  Tran Ngoc Hue worked in the PX and the Navy Fed when I was in the Pentagon and in HQMC Navy Annex (Federal Building #2)....

It's a wonderful book and I wish more people would read it.

I agree, Eric - just finished it this evening.  I appreciated the depth into which the author went - it kept one from simply dismissing the traitor's act out of hand - one could really begin to understand what he was going through and what his view of the war and his country's future was, which led him to his decision.  I'm not saying I approve - but I understand.  

What a small world it is that you met Tran Ngoc Hue!  

Yeah, "Harry" Hue didn't talk a lot about his past, just loved Marines and always said they were why he made it to the U.S.  I talked about the ARVN helicopter pilot and his family we sheltered for a few weeks in 1975.  I had no idea of his accomplishments until I read this book and you can imagine my reaction!

I use Dinh's defection as an illustration of Boyd's tenets of "moral" warfare--interestingly enough, winning "hearts and minds" isn't anywhere there, it's all about trust.  Dinh felt broken faith between him and the ARVN and the Saigon government in general, so as much as he hated the VC (and did so much to defeat them), he went over to the other side....  Yes, one can't approve, but one can understand--and you can see that the decision still haunts him, and always will....

Reading DIVIDING UP THE SPOILS: THE WAR FOR ALEXANDER THE GREAT'S EMPIRE by Robin Waterfield.  Probably the best single volume introduction to the period and worth it just to get oriented to who is who in the zoo when playing the 3rd Edition of THE SUCCESSORS (GMT)!

Read: "Dividing The Spoils: The War for Alexander The Great's Empire" by Robin Waterfield. Second Mr. Walters earlier reply. Highly Recommended.

"Alexander The Great" by Lewis V. Cummings. First Published in 1940. The author shows, not only Alex's military genius, but the steady evolution of his character/personality from being more humane and honorable to a blood thirsty egomaniac at his death. This, of course, is the author's belief based on his interpretation of the facts. The umpteenth book of mine on Alexander the Great and his times. My favorite person to read about.  Very Good and Recommended.

'Sixgun' by John Taffin.  I love shooting sports and enjoy reloading for my  guns and in particular my own "sixguns".  I have a few Rugers, Colts.  The Colt SAA design is still a fine design after all these years!

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Read: "The Accidental President: Harry S. Truman and the Four Months that Changed the…"
1 hour ago
John Kranz posted a blog post

Moving to New Platform

I wanted to alert everyone that we are moving to a new social platform in the coming days/weeks.…See More
yesterday
Phil Buczkowski joined Brian Blad's group
Thumbnail

Great Battles of the American Civil War

This is the place to discuss GMT/Richard Berg's GBACW series of games
Sunday
Phil Buczkowski joined Ed Beach's group
Thumbnail

Great Campaigns of the American Civil War

Fans of the GCACW series. Titles include: Stonewall Jackson's Way, Here Come The Rebels, Roads to…See More
Sunday
Phil Buczkowski joined Hans van Der Drift's group
Thumbnail

The Pax System by RHB

One of my favorite games is Pax RomanaI thought this would be good place to find like minded…See More
Sunday
Phil Buczkowski joined Charlescab's group
Thumbnail

command and colors ancients CCA

For fans of Command and Colors Ancients
Sunday
Phil Buczkowski joined Jan Wiescher's group
Thumbnail

World in Flames

A place for fans of this fantastic ADG game.
Sunday
Ian Schofield posted photos
Saturday

Groups

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

© 2020   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service