I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 5752

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

'Sixgun' by John Taffin.  I love shooting sports and enjoy reloading for my  guns and in particular my own "sixguns".  I have a few Rugers, Colts.  The Colt SAA design is still a fine design after all these years!
Reading "Mission to Berlin" by Robert Dorr. Covers the Feb. 3, 1945 Eighth Air Force mission to the city.

Read: "Roman Conquests: Macedonia and Greece" by Philip Matyszak. This book is part of a series charting Rome's road to Empire. There are at least 2 others on Italy and North Africa plus a new one on Gaul coming out.  Covers the politics and battles that led to Rome's conquest of Macedonia and Greece. The first main battle, Cynoscephalae, can be found in GMT'S GBOH SPQR, and the 2nd battle, Pydna, was in C3I. Very Good and Recommended.

"The First Clash" by Jim Lacey. This is on the miraculous Greek Victory at Marathon and its impact on Western Civilization. Excellent and Highly Recommended.

Right now I am reading "Tea Leaves", but have started "The Last Gunfight"!!  The tea leaves said I should read "The Last Gunfight"!
Finished The Strongest Tribe by Bing West and have moved on to his recent The Wrong War. The author is a warriors author and interesting reading from his perspective as a former Marine observing the efforts in Afganistan. I highly recoomend this author to anyone who wants to read about Iraq and Afganistan. He has an earlier book, The Village, about his experiences in Vietnam. That book has been a Marine Corps reccomend for officers.

Completely unrelated to gaming or military topics of any kind - I'm reading Anna Karenina. I read War and Peace a few years ago as someone said it contained a great descriptive chapter on a battle scene I was curious about. (I can't ready just part of a book like that - had to do the whole thing.) Since I enjoyed W&P, I thought I'd give Anna a try. I'm about 18 chapters in and enjoying it thus far.

Once I'm done with that, I'm next in line to get my hands on our copy of Physics of the Future: How Science Will Shape Human Destiny and Our Daily Lives by the Year 2100 by Michio Kaku. The predictions are all based on things in prototype or practical use right now which I find fascinating!

Read: "Lords of the Sea: The Epic Story of the Athenian Navy and the Birth of Democracy" by John R. Hale. A grand tale of Athens rise and fall to Macedon in 322BC. Very good and Recommended.

"Wars of the Ancient Greeks" by Victor Davis Hanson. Just So-So. Not one of Mr. Hanson's better books.

Just got BEER, CHICKS, AND WARGAMING: THE 6 YEAR COLLEGE PLAN by Gregory Spikeman.  EMPIRES IN ARMS and the Victory Games' solitaire AMBUSH series are featured.  How could I resist?
Awesome, Eric. I hope you enjoy it. Among other games mentioned in the book are EUROPA, STAR FLEET BATTLES, AXIS & ALLIES, and RISE & FALL.

Read:"Parallel Universes: The search for Other Worlds" by Fred Alan Wolf. A very good book on quantum physics and the controversy by Scientists over this concept. The author favors this belief. Recommended.

"Helen of Troy: Goddess, Princess, Whore" by Bettany Hughes. Not exactly a Bio on Helen but the story of Helen down through time and how She has effected Western Culture. She may not have even existed. Very Good and Recommended.

Just finished the TRIPODS series by John Christopher. Aimed at young adults and. First read them probably 35 yrs ago, but really enjoyed getting into them again... I hear that there is possibly a movie in the works.

Now reading THE PRAISE SINGER by Mary Renault. She is as good as Robert Graves in bringing ancient times to life

Read: "Troy and Homer: Towards a Solution of an Old Mystery" by Joachim Latacz. A detective story on whether There was a Real Troy, a Trojan War and if Homer's famous story has any factual basis to it. Read this book to find out. Very Good and Recommended.

"Warrior of Rome: Fire in the East" by Harry Sidebottom. This is Book I of a series of Historical Novels on the Third Century Crisis of the Roman Empire. Its focus is on the Eastern Frontier with Persia. Works in great battles and sieges.   The main character is a barbarian German of the Angle Tribe who is a officer in the Roman Army. Excellent and Highly Recommended.

"Warrior of Rome: King of Kings" by Harry Sidebottom. Book II. Takes up where the first left off. Excellent and Highly Recommended. There are two more in this series, so far, but not printed over here in America. The author is a Historian from England and his era of expertise is Ancient History and Warfare. He picked this time period and the Roman Middle East Frontier because nobody has done much on this. This happens to be my favorite Frontier of Rome with the main enemies being over the centuries the Parthians-Persians-Muslims. The author has me hooked and can't wait for the next two books to show up over here.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Eric Walters left a comment for Christopher A. Lawrence
"Welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social Website!  Am pretty sure you are the same Christopher A.…"
12 hours ago
Manuel P. Ron is now friends with Jeff Fisher and ron brooks
18 hours ago
Jeff Fisher posted a status
"Here is a screen shot from way back when... http://social.consimworld.com/profiles/blogs/2011369:BlogPost:29825"
21 hours ago
"Yep, I wrote them both and seem to have lost everything having to do with the newer and updated program "GTL Editor"..."
21 hours ago
"Everyone, I'm looking for some help. Need a copy of "GTL Editor" which I wrote back in the late 2000... Not "GTL Text Editor" Thanks"
21 hours ago
Jeff Fisher joined Andy Loakes's group
Thumbnail

Limey Yank Games

Do you visit Limey Yank Games for Cyberboard gameboxes, counter scans, etc.? If so please feel free…See More
21 hours ago
Steve commented on Jacob Wikman's group Operational Combat Series Gaming
"I can’t see any comments here after 2013, and no discussions after 2017. Is there an issue…"
Wednesday
Christopher A. Lawrence is now a member of ConsimWorld
Monday

Groups

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2019   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service