I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 5540

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Recently finished The Defense of Jisr Al-Doreaa and I am currently working through Dupuy's A Genius For War: The German Army and General Staff 1807-1945.
The Defense of Jisr Al-Doreaa is one of the better adaptations of Swinton's The Defence of Duffer's Drift that I'd read in a long while.  Hope you like Dupuy's book. Not a bad introduction to its subject and it sure got me interested in military reform such as Scharnhorst and his fellows promoted.
Yeah, I enjoyed The Defense of Jisr Al-Doreaa. I only stumbled across it because I was looking to replace a copy of Swinton's work that I had misplaced at some point. It came up in an Amazon search, so I grabbed it.

Just finished Jorg Muth's COMMAND CULTURE: OFFICER EDUCATION IN THE U.S. ARMY AND THE GERMAN ARMED FORCES, 1901-1945, AND THE CONSEQUENCES FOR WORLD WAR II.  Controversial to be sure, but I liked it.  Also read ON FLEXIBILITY: RECOVERY FROM TECHNOLOGICAL AND DOCTRINAL SURPRISE ON THE BATTLEFIELD by Meir Finkel, which was merely okay.

Now plowing through Michael R. Matheny's CARRYING THE WAR TO THE ENEMY: AMERICAN OPERATION ART TO 1945.

Sitting on the shelf to be read next are:  NO SURE VICTORY: MEASURING U.S. ARMY EFFECTIVENESS AND PROGRESS IN THE VIETNAM WAR by Gregory A. Daddis, TRANSFORMING COMMAND: THE PURSUIT OF MISSION COMMAND IN THE U.S., BRITISH, AND ISRAELI ARMIES by Eitan Shamir, and POWER IN UNCERTAIN TIMES: STRATEGY IN THE FOG OF PEACE by Emily O. Goldman.

Wow Eric, but what do you do for some light reading?
You'll laugh, but I read Diana Gabaldon's historical romances--there are amazingly well researched!  And there's always tons of war.  The OUTLANDER series deals with "The '45" Jacobite Rebellion and the LORD JOHN series deals with the Seven Years' War (at least as far as I've gotten in that--might go to the American War For Independence as well!)
have you ever read Robert Graves, Sergeant Lamb of the 9th novels, thet are pretty good as welll
Haven't read those novels--I do like him a great deal for GOOD-BYE TO ALL THAT, of course!
Reading Arthur Koestler's 'Scum of the Earth' primarily about the last doomed days of France in 1940...not cheerful by any stretch

Read: "Thutmose III: The Military Biography of Egypt's Greatest Warrior King" by Richard A. Gabriel. A very Good read.  Thutmose is sometimes compared to Napoleon which is incorrect. Thutmose was a winner and left a Empire that lasted long after his death; while Napoleon was a loser.  Recommended.

"Ramesses: Egypt's Greatest Pharaoh" by Joyce Tyldesley. He was Egypt's longest living Pharaoh. Just So-So.

"Trajan: Lion of Rome" by C.R.H. Wildfeuer. A novel on the Roman Emperor who extended the empire to its greatest size. Very Good and Recommended. 

Just finished "Thieves of Baghdad" and just started "The Coming Fury" book 1 of Bruce Catton's classic US civil war history.  I am sure there may be better trilogy on the civil war but I got the entire 3 paperback book set new at Half-priced books in Dallas, Texas for like $5.  Also picked up (but haven't started yet) Gilberts "First World War" hardback slightly used for $1 and a new hardback of Keegan's "First World War" for $1.
I am reading "Wyatt Earp", by Casey Tefertiller.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Chuang Shyue Chou replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"I have yet to try the Rebus ones. The Rebus ones, I understand, is his primary vehicle. I know that…"
11 hours ago
Chuang Shyue Chou commented on Jim Werbaneth's blog post Free Time to Work on Line of Departure Issue 83
"Yikes!"
11 hours ago
Roger Bridges is now a member of ConsimWorld
20 hours ago
Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"I've read Rankin's John Rebus detective novels only till now. The "Witch Hunt"…"
22 hours ago
Jim Werbaneth commented on Jim Werbaneth's blog post Free Time to Work on Line of Departure Issue 83
"And I didn't find Jesus in prison!"
23 hours ago
Chuang Shyue Chou commented on Jim Werbaneth's blog post Free Time to Work on Line of Departure Issue 83
"Do remember to add to your profile that you are and were a Facebook convict! You have done time!…"
yesterday
Jim Werbaneth updated their profile
yesterday
Chuang Shyue Chou replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"I just finished "The Gempei War 1180-85" by Stephen Turnbull. It is a topic that I know…"
yesterday

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2019   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service