I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 5732

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've read this too and saw the movie. It was OK.  If you haven't already, try some of  Prestons' books.

Just read ConSimWorld news bit about "Braveheart" and thought I`d share this masterpiece (Part 2 of 4)...

A Yeoman Warder ("Beefeater") mentions William Wallace`s (brief) sojourn at the `Tower of London`.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWFq-v7TKdQ&list=FLhM_Y8aMF6fQsd...

Well worth watching :-)  ! ! !

Hilarious. Much better than the tour guides I had years ago in England.

Glad you enjoyed it.

The other day In started reading Lady, Go Die! by Max  Allan Collins and Mickey Spillane. The book is the sequel to I, The Jury. Mike Hammer is the ultimate 1940s hard-boiled detective!

Isn`t that from the "Hard Case Crime" series? 

I got, "Little Girl Lost" and it`s sequel, "Songs of Innocence" (both by Richard Aleas) from them and was blown away by the story (as a whole).

I have "Memory" by Donald E. Westlake lined up for a read sometime soon.

Let's see, we've got a number of books on the table right now:

WHO THE HELL ARE WE FIGHTING?  By C. Michael Hiam.  Deals with the 1967 VC OOB estimates controversy which led to the CBS documentary "The Uncounted Enemy" and the Westmoreland vs. CBS libel suit.

SHADOW OF THE WINTER PALACE.  By Edward Crankshaw.  Russia's Monarchy from the Decembrist Rebellion in 1825 to the fall of the Romanovs in 1917.  

DUNE.  Frank Herbert.  Haven't read it since I was a teenager and it's about time to get back with it.  Plus I want to play the game again.

DUNE is a great  case where the orginal book was great and the sequals became worse and worse.

I'm reading Rolf Hinzes' Crucible of Combat

Read: "Fighter Pilot: The Memoirs of Legendary Ace Robin Olds" by Christina Olds and Ed Rasimus. Excellent bio on Robin Olds who fought in WWII and the Viet Nam War. Missed out on Korea. Highly Recommended.

"The Third Translation" by Matt Bondurant. A novel on Ancient Egypt where a American Egyptologist in London is trying to translate a mysterious manuscript called the Stela of Paser that has secret within it. Just OK.

Read: "Road to Manzikert: Byzantine and Islamic Warfare 527-1071" by Brian Todd Carey. A excellent history of this period that explains weapons, tactics, and strategies of the Byzantine(Roman) Empire and its muslim enemies, the Arabs and Turks leading up to the decisive Battle of Manzikert in 1071. This changed forever the demographics of Anatolia. Highly Recommended.

"The First Crusade:The Call from the East" by Peter Frankopan. This history takes up where the above book leaves off. The Roman(aka:Byzantine) Emperor Alexios I, after Manzikert and the loss of Anotolia to the muslims, begs help from the West to save his Empire from same. This plea strikes a chord with the "Pope" Urban II(rival Popes at this time) who sees a way to reunite Western and Eastern Christianity and makes the call for the counter-crusade against islam in the Middle East. This book goes over the politics of this counter-crusade more so, than the military, that would change the West forever. Excellent Book and Highly Recommended.

Reading David Glantz's From the Don to the Dnepr but anxiously awaiting Monday's release of Lee Child's A Wanted Man, the next Jack Reacher novel.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Read: "Relic" by Alan Dean Foster. A SF novel with a twist.  In the distant future,…"
Tuesday
Eric Walters left a comment for Bob Jones
"Bob, great to see you here!  Welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social Website!  Hope you find…"
Sunday
Bob Jones is now a member of ConsimWorld
Sunday
Eric Walters left a comment for Chris Haupt
"Chris, it sure looks like you appreciate the pre-Napoleonic and Napoleonic era games!  1776…"
Saturday
Chris Haupt updated their profile
Nov 28
Eric Walters commented on John G Galloway's photo
Thumbnail

GMT Stalingrad 42

"Am wanting to dive into this myself, but I've got a stack of games in front of it in my…"
Nov 28
John G Galloway posted a photo

GMT Stalingrad 42

Another fantastic Simonitch design that fits perfectly on my table.
Nov 28
Dennis A. Spors commented on Dennis A. Spors's group Marshal Enterprises
"We are working on a new title but it will not be a game in Spain. The new release will be featured…"
Nov 28

Groups

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2019   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service