I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 5383

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have just started on Robert Gates' older volume 'From the Shadows: The Ultimate Insider's Story of Five Presidents and How They Won the Cold War', it provides a good balance to Tim Weiner's 'Legacy of Ashes'.

On to my next read: Bosworth 1485: A Battlefield Rediscovered. I am just a few pages in and so far I am really impressed.

Manzikert was a worthwhile read for those interested in Byzantium. The author did a good job, and actually visited the site which is a plus with me.

I am reading the 3 volume set of rules for Matrix World in Flames game.  It is just like the board game for the most part.  No ai yet.  The 3 volume set is a beautiful hard cover set that are about 250 pages each.  Much of the books cover how to use the pc version, not just pure rules.  It's a very,very nice game and manuals.  It is my new part time job!

I have been reading that as well. A little bed time reading, nicely done. 

Read: "The Boxer Rebellion: The Dramatic Story of China's War on Foreigners That Shook the World in the Summer of 1900" by Diana Preston. The title says it all. Very Good and Recommended. See Charlton Heston's movie on this subject "55 Days at Peking". Pretty Good.

"Pandora's Star" by Peter Hamilton. Book 1 in this 2 book Series. A SF mystery, where Humanity gets too curious about a distant star and foolishly opens Pandora's Box. The author has created his own universe just like in "Star Trek" or "Star Wars". A outstanding read with "cliff hangers" galore. Very Highly Recommended.

"Judas Unchained" by Peter Hamilton. Book 2 in the above book with a great climatic ending. Very Highly Recommended.

Read: "How the Barbarian Invasions Shaped the Modern World" by Thomas J. Craughwell. This is primarily on the Vikings, Vandals, Huns, Goths, and Mongols. These are the main suspects for the author in how they caused the world we live in today. He left out one very important component, the muslims. The book is just so-so.

"Dominion" by C. J. Sansom. It is 1952, 12 years since Churchill lost to the appeasers and Britain surrendered to nazi Germany. They keep their empire but in subservience to the nazis. America did not enter the war and the Germans and Russians are still fighting out east for the last 11 years. A English geologist learns a "secret" that causes his life to be in danger by everyone: Americans, nazis, and English. Very Good and Recommended.

"The Abominable" by Dan Simmons. A novel that starts in 1924. If you want the "untold" on mountain climbing, this is it. Deep in Tibet and high on Mt. Everest, climbers find themselves being pursued by someone or something, in a nightmare that becomes life or death at 28000 feet. Very Good and Recommended.

I ordered and received 'Dominion' from Book Depository earlier this year but I have not read it. I will probably read it soon. Late last year, I finally finished 'SS-GB' and 'Fatherland' after meaning to read those two for a long time. The alternate futures constructed were created with great care. Of course, one wishes that there were more.

I have read Mr. Deighton's book and enjoyed it. "Fatherland" is excellent and "Dominion's" author has a notes section at the end of his book giving reasons for writing the book, etc. but praises "Fatherland" as the "best alternative historical novel he has read". There is also a movie on "Fatherland" which was very good. There is another great book on a German/Japanese win in WWII. "The Man in The High Castle" by Phillip K. Dick. I read it as a teen from the SF book club. It won a Hugo Award in 1963. In this "universe" it is years after WWII and Japan and Germany are the super-powers of their time and are having a "Cold War". The US has been conquered and divided between these powers. Here is a link on this book but beware of a "spoiler Alert".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Man_in_the_High_Castle

I have similar problem of buying books faster than I can read them. Also, the same on my Wargames.

Thanks. I have read 'The Man in the High Castle' in the eighties and have read a lot of Dick's work since then. I didn't find Dick's alternate history to be convincing, 

I do enjoy Deighton's other volumes like the 'Fighter', Blitzkreig', the Bernard Samson books starting with 'London Match'. I can't quite remember them as I read them in the early eighties. Likewise the other Deighton volumes. 'SS-GB' is my first Deighton since 1984 or 1985.

I've read Deighton's "Blitzkreig" but not the other books.

May I know what you thought of 'The Iron Dream' by Norman Spinrad?

Never read it.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Read:" Siege of Acre, 1189-1191:Saladin, Richard the Lionheart, and the Battle That Decided…"
8 hours ago
Markm1767 posted photos
13 hours ago
Ian Schofield posted a photo

Shiva Group First

The third ever show Shiva was entered into and he won the Hound Group. My wife was thrilled. The…
Wednesday
Nathan posted a video

'The Grand Campaign' [4 - FINAL] - Serbien muss sterbien (2 Nov to 23 Dec - 1914)

'The Grand Campaign, The Battle for Serbia 1914' 1914: Serbien Muss Sterbien [GMT Games 2015] Designer: Michael Resch
Tuesday
Profile IconKevin Strong, Jose Luis Gomez and Kenneth Trout joined ConsimWorld
Monday
Ian Schofield posted a photo

Group 4th

Shiva is very tired after his second dog show of the day.
May 19
Grofaz joined Eric Walters's group
Thumbnail

Gaming Contemporary Tactical Ground Combat

Discuss your favorite games/systems/scenarios covering pre-WWII to hypothetical future tactical…See More
May 17
Jim Millard commented on Brian Blad's group World At War
"Anybody out there have the Compendium Vol. 2 that they want to part with?"
May 17

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2019   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service