I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 5411

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I finally finished Italo Calvino's 'The Castle of Crossed Destinies' over a decade after I first started it. Somehow, many things intervened in those years and I didn't manage to sit and finish it when I first bought it. Now, the book is yellowed.

Just finished "The Terror" also by Dan Simmons.  Boy, can he write!  I've loved his work ever since I found Hyperion back in 1991 (or so).  "The Terror" is about the doomed Franklin expedition to find the Northwest Passage in the mid 1840s.  Simmons imagines a mythical arctic monster that slowly kills all the crew.  But the monster isn't the only problem.  There are plenty of "monsters" among the crew as well, including the creepy Cornelius Hickey.

Well-researched, full of telling details.  I felt cold every time I picked it up from his descriptions of the Arctic.

This is my first book by Mr. Simmons although I've seen his SF books at the store. He does go into his topic to the "nth" degree based on this book I read, plus checking him out on Google. How he describes mountain climbing is scary enough for me. I'll pass.

I read 'Phases of Gravity' and 'Song of Kali' in the late 80s or early 90s. I do have a few other of his books lying around but somehow, I never did get back to reading him again. I will probably read 'Hyperion' some day since it has been on my shelves since the early 90s.

Definitely read "Hyperion" and its companions.  Somewhat confusing at times, but great storytelling.  Fantastic renderings of battles whether among spaceships or Agincourt.

I am reading "They Called Him Wild Bill: The Life and Adventures of James Butler Hickok".

Read: "Unleashed" by David Rosenfelt. An "Andy Carpenter" mystery novel. "Murphy's Law" in action. The main character, a Lawyer, stumbles into a plot against America by the usual suspects, mohammadeans. Very Good and recommended.

"A Conspiracy of Faith" by Jussi Adler-Olsen. This is the Danish mystery writer, who in this book(my first), takes on the evils of Christianity with a killer targeting followers of some Christian sects, some made up??, who are very strict in their beliefs. The hero is a policeman who comes across a message in a bottle that sets the story in motion. The overall story is good, but the political agenda of the author is obvious. Recommended with a "grain of salt".

"The Sieges of Alexander the Great" by Stephen English. Very good history on Alex's main sieges in his career that helped make him great. Very Good and Recommended.

"The Field Campaigns of Alexander the Great" by Stephen English. Concentrates on the major battles Alex fought and his tactical/strategic genius in winning them. Useful for GMT's GBOH game: "Alexander". The author shows possible different set ups for some of these battles. Very Good and Recommended. These 2 books by, English, are a trilogy. The third one on, the ways and means of the Macedonian System of war, I will need to acquire. 

Reading "The Fifth Elephant" by Terry Pratchet:  Over the top british humor set in a fantasy world with human and demi-human cops trying to solve a mystery.

Reading "Antarctica" by Kim Stanley Robinson:  A mystery of sorts...who is trying to sabotage the US base there?  And why?

I am re-reading this old favourite, 'The Rise and Fall of British Naval Mastery', it makes for a sobering read.

I recently finished 'Edifice Complex: The Architecture of Power' by Deyan Sudjic which was a chatty commentary, accessible yet somewhat tedious at points. There were the usual suspects like Saddam's palaces. One of the highlights was actually the presidential libraries built by outgoing presidents. Another was that of the buildings built by an American evangelical church.

"Edifice" sounds very intriguing.  I'll have to get a copy.

I'm currently reading "Decision in the West" by Albert Castel. It's about Sherman-Johnston's Atlanta campaign in 1864. Castel covers the best part of a year in about 570 pages, so there's not as much detail as there would be in a battle analysis, but it's a good overview and introduction.

I've been following the sesquicentennial of the ACW in my recent reading. Just finished Gordon Rhea's "Battle of the Wilderness" and will resume Rhea's treatment of the Overland Campaign with "Battles of Spotsylvania Court House" next. I love Rhea's writing and the detail is delicious.

Read; "Plataea 479 BC: The Most Glorious Victory Ever Seen" by William Shepherd. A Osprey Campaign #239. A great overview of the battle. Highly Recommended. Now to receive GMT's "Hoplite" game(GBOH) where this is the "Really Big One" battle depicted in it.

"Sparta At War: Strategy, Tactics, and Campaigns 950-362 BC" by Scott Rush. This is a military history of Sparta. Very Good but the author "fast forwards" its' decline. Would of appreciated some more details on this decline. Recommended.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Jim Werbaneth commented on Jim Werbaneth's blog post Line of Departure at Origins!
"Well, all the presentations went well, I think. It was also great meeting up with old friends,…"
yesterday
Wayne Rotella commented on Mark DAgosta's photo
Sunday
Mark DAgosta posted a photo

Land of the Two Rivers: Iraq War

Playtest map for upcoming game "Land of the Two Rivers", my first attempt at game design.…
Sunday
Joe Admire joined Matt Severns's group
Thumbnail

MARKETPLACE -

Buyin', Sellin' and good ol' fashioned horse tradin.......Can't find what you need? Go to the CSW…See More
Saturday
Steve K commented on Steve K's blog post Games I'm Playing 2019
"Gaming Session in Cedar Rapids: June10-13. Pacific Tide (3rd US loss I have played!) The US Civil…"
Saturday
Larry Banaszak is now a member of ConsimWorld
Friday
David Kazmierczak updated their profile
Friday
Profile IconMarek Dąbrowski, AJE SAKAMOTO and Nick Cartel joined ConsimWorld
Thursday

Groups

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2019   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service