I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 5732

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Read: "Nomad: From Islam to America" by Ayaan Hirsi Ali. This is a follow up to the author's earlier outstanding book, "Infidel". This is about islam down to the quantum level. A must read and Highly Recommended. The author is a most courageous and outstanding Human Being.

"Ancient India: From the Earliest Times to the First Century A.D." by E.J. Rapson. A good overview of this period in Indian History. Very Good and Recommended.

"Ashoka: The Search for India's Lost Emperor" by Charles Allen. This is a detective story on how British and some other Europeans discovered Ashoka and his times which had been lost from memory. Very Good and Recommended.

"Deadline" by John Sanford. A novel on Virgil Flowers, a most interesting detective, who has hilarious ways of solving crime in the backwoods of Minnesota. Outstanding read and Highly Recommended.

I bought 'Infidel' some years ago but I have not found the time nor energy to read it at this point but I will some day.

"Infidel" is excellent on mohammadean social life. The author has a 'murder contract' on her. I do the same thing; "Nomad" and "Ancient India" have both been around for some years before reading them.

I have still not read it after all these years. Too much to read, too little energy and time.

I have an order for "Why I Am Not a Muslim", by Ibn Warraq which is a pen name.

This is the "Silver Bullet" on muhammadans and their beliefs. Read it decades ago and set me on the path of Factual History. He has several other books that are enlightening.

I am reading Teutonic Knight 1190-1561 by David Nicolle. I am also reading Super Highway  by Chris Parry. He has a curious way of denoting imperialism and colonisation as 'globalisation'. Most curious.

Read: "The Greeks in Bactria and India" by William W. Tarn. Excellent history of the Greek-Macedonians who ruled over Bactria without any big problems from the locals who usually join their armies to fight with them. They even had time to fight among themselves without any serious revolts. They pushed into India and conquered the NW and sacking the Mauryan capital of Pataliputra. This was much further than Alexander the Great. Highly Recommended.

"The Hellenistic Settlements in The East from Armenia and Mesopotamia to Bactria and India" by Getzel M. Cohen. This is more of a research book that helps in the above book. Only Recommended for the people most interested in the subject.

"Muslim Spain and Portugal: A political History of al-Andalus" by Hugh Kennedy. This is from the muhammadan perspective. The book covers from 711-1492AD. It was Deja vu reading this book. It was just like the world news today. The muhammadans conquered the Iberian Peninsula and after failing to take France proceed to butcher each other with the occasional military campaign against the non-muhammadans. Very good and Recommended.

"The Early History of India From 600B.C. to the Muhammadan Conquest" by Vincent A. Smith. The title says it all. The Book covers the major and minor Kingdoms of India such as the Mauryan and Gupta Empires. Starting in 711A.D., the muhammadan crusaders would bring destruction to Indian Society. It was done in spurts over a period of time. Just OK.

Read; "Slow Train to Arcturus" by Eric Flint and Dave Freer. A SF novel on a large object entering the Miran star system. The Miran send a space ship to investigate and are attacked by savage aliens called "Humans".  Very Good and Recommended.

"Rome and Parthia: Power, Politics, and Profit" by Daryn Graham. The interplay between Rome and Parthia till the mid-3rd Century A.D. when the Parthian Kings are overthrown by the Sassanian Persian Kings. Very Good and Recommended. 

Clapton's autobiography..Once started, never put down.

Reading "Napoleon: A Life" by Andrew Roberts. Another book on Napoleon. I couldn't resist. This one appears to be a bit more even handed, with a strong focus on military history. Much of the research is from Napoleon's personal letters, which are still being translated.

Read: "Coming Home" by Jack McDevitt. A SF novel in 11,256A.D.. It is the author's Alex Benedict series, who deals in ancient artifacts. He is looking for early antiques of the Space Age, such as Neil Armstrong's landing on the moon, first trip to Mars, etc. All these have disappeared so it is going to take some digging to find any, if still around. Very Good and Recommended.

"How Civilizations Die(and Why Islam is Dying Too.)" by David P. Goldman. The Death of the West is in the news today but the mohammadan world is on the brink of an even grater collapse. This is based on population lost through collapsing birthrates with the muhammadans declining even faster than anywhere else. The West, is going to die quietly,  while the mohammadans will try for broke. Very Good and Recommended.

"The Middle East Under Rome" by Maurice Sartre. This is a history of the Semitic Near East(modern Syria, Lebanon, Jordan and Israel) from the eve of the Roman conquest to the end of the 3rd century A.D..This covers military, political, economic, social, cultural, and religious developments.Very Good and Recommended.

"Roman Conquests: North Africa" by Nic Fields. This covers the wars of conquest against Carthage, Numidia, and the tribal groups of Western North Africa. Very Good and Recommended.

"Bringers of War: The Portuguese in Africa during the Age of Gunpowder and Sail from the Fifteenth to Eighteenth Century" by John Laband. This is a military/political history of the period stated. Outstanding and Highly Recommended.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Read: "Relic" by Alan Dean Foster. A SF novel with a twist.  In the distant future,…"
yesterday
Eric Walters left a comment for Bob Jones
"Bob, great to see you here!  Welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social Website!  Hope you find…"
Sunday
Bob Jones is now a member of ConsimWorld
Sunday
Eric Walters left a comment for Chris Haupt
"Chris, it sure looks like you appreciate the pre-Napoleonic and Napoleonic era games!  1776…"
Saturday
Chris Haupt updated their profile
Nov 28
Eric Walters commented on John G Galloway's photo
Thumbnail

GMT Stalingrad 42

"Am wanting to dive into this myself, but I've got a stack of games in front of it in my…"
Nov 28
John G Galloway posted a photo

GMT Stalingrad 42

Another fantastic Simonitch design that fits perfectly on my table.
Nov 28
Dennis A. Spors commented on Dennis A. Spors's group Marshal Enterprises
"We are working on a new title but it will not be a game in Spain. The new release will be featured…"
Nov 28

Groups

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2019   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service