I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 4721

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Read: "The Devil's Code" by John Sanford. This is a Kidd novel. He is a thief, computer hacker, and con artist. He works with LeEllen, a better con artist and thief but knows nothing about computers.  A friend is killed which looks suspicious. Kidd finds himself implicated in his friend's killing so has to fix things so he himself does not go down. Very Good and Recommended.

"Heat Lighting" by John Sanford. A Virgil Flowers novel who is a police detective who handles only the big cases. Why, because he has a flair for solving them. People are being killed and their bodies left at Veterans Memorials with a lemon in their mouths. Looks like more to come. Very Good and Recommended.  

Read: "The Time of The Wolf" by James Wilde. A historical novel on Hereward the Wake. He was a Angle-Saxon patriot. He led a revolt against the Normans after their conquest of England in 1066. Not much is known about him. This gives the author plenty of latitude in his story. This is Book 1. Very Good and Recommended.

"The Ruins of War" by John A. Connell. A novel about Munich in the winter of 1945, 7 months after the Nazi defeat. Munich is in ruins and a killer is stalking the devastated city. A ex-detective from the Chicago Police Department and ex-prisoner of the Nazis is on the case. Mediocre. 

Read: "Iron and Rust: Throne of the Caesars" by Harry Sidebottom. Historical novel on one of the bloodiest periods of Roman History, the Year of the Six Emperors. This is Book 1. This is a "sorta" prequel to the author's other Series on Ancient Rome entitled "The Warrior of Rome Series" which I have also been reading. This first book in the new series was Very Good and is Recommended. 

"The Career and Legend of Vasco Da Gama" by Sanjay Subrahmanyam. A bio on the named person. The author is trying to sift out the "True Vasco Da Gama" vs the myths and legends. Just So-So.

"The Winter Warrior" by James Wilde. This is Book 2 on the author's "Hereward the Wake" Historical Series on Medieval England. William the Bastard, now King of England, is running around "winning the hearts and minds" of the Angle-Saxons by using Genocide. Still popular today and it works. Hereward is William's only "trouble maker" left. Very Good and Recommended.

Just started 

Mainly to go along with my 

Adventures.

Read: "Operation Nemesis: The Assassination Plot That Avenged The Armenian Genocide" by Eric Bogosian. A Masterful Account of the Armenian Heroes who hunted down the Turkish murders of their people. With operators on 3 continents, these Armenian Heroes executed six major Turkish leaders. This was mainly during the 1920's. I had never heard of this group or its history. I remember the Armenian Heroes of the 70's and 80's but not these people. This is a Outstanding Book and should be read by everyone.

"Legend" by Eric Blehm. This is the unforgettable account of the 240th Assault Helicopter Company and Green Beret Staff Sergent Roy Benavidez, who risked everything to rescue a Special Forces Team trapped behind enemy lines in Cambodia. This is a Outstanding Book and Most Highly Recommended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oUtJxE4sjs

Read: The 5 books of the SF series "The Expanse" by James S. A. Corey.

Book 1: "Leviathan Wakes", Book 2:"Caliban's War", Book 3:"Abaddon's Gate", Book 4: "Cibola Burn", Book 5: "Nemesis Games". Book 6 won't be out till next year and is titled "Babylon's Ashes". Overall this is a Space Opera of Biblical Proportions and is Highly Recommended. But...the main character 'Holden' is OK at times but sucks most of the time. Miller, a detective, and Amos, a hard ass, are my favorites, although other characters have their good points. These keep my interest up to keep reading on. 

See Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Expanse_(novel_series)

There is a TV series on this entitled "The Expanse" coming out, in December, this year on the SF Network.

The Centurions by Jean Larteguy. The novel is about the fall of Dien Bien Phu and the subsequent captivity of the French forces at the hands of the Viet Minh. The main part of the book is about the French paratroopers serving in the French-Algerian War of 1954-1962. This book was originally published in 1960 in French and translated into English and made into a movie called Lost Command with Anthony Quinn starring as the main character - Lt. Col. Raspeguy. This novel was and still is considered necessary reading for anyone wanting to understand guerilla tactics and counterinsurgency. The book was out of print for many years but was revived after General Petraeus read the novel to help craft the counterinsurgency strategy in Iraq. Penguin Classics just re-published the novel. 

Read: "It's All About Muhammad: A Biography of The World's Most Notorious Prophet" by F. W. Burleigh. The author uses the muhammadan sources for this book. The title says it all. A must as a textbook in all schools. Highly Recommended.

"The Siege of Vienna: The Last Great Trial Between Cross & Crescent" by John Stoye. The subtitle is, obviously, a error. Very Good and Recommended. S&T mag next game is on this battle.

"Jan Sobieski:The King Who Saved Europe" by Miltiades Varvounis. A new bio on King Jan III Sobieski who saved Europe at Vienna in 1683. The author compares the late 17th Century to today, the early 21st Century. The West is in a similar predicament today as in 1683. The 17th Century found its savior. Will history repeat itself today?   Very Good and Highly Recommended. 

Read: "Genghis Khan" by Frank McLynn. A new and excellent Bio on Genghis and Highly Recommended. Has new info for thinking about but not necessarily correct. I like the part on Genghis's campaigns in Jurchen China(NW China). The author covers this in more detail than other books I've read on Genghis. The author's coverage of Genghis's campaigns in muhammadan occupied  lands is somewhat different than other author's I've read. The best Bio on Genghis Khan, I've read though, is by Rene Grousset. 

Dead Wake by Erik Larson is turning out to be a pretty good one about the sinking of the Lusitania, Woodrow Wilson and World War I. By the author who brought us the excellent Devil in the White City.

The Subprimes.  Set somewhere in the relatively near future where the Ayn Rand ideal has been realized.  Callers to 911 have to select Standard or Premium; Emergency Services are contingent on a good credit score; debtor's prisons have been reinstituted; renewable energy has been outlawed in the "Energy Independence and Freedom Act" etc.

The story follows a number of people in different circumstances who will all (presumably) collide at some point.  I'm expecting a revolution.

Read: "Gathering Prey" by John Sanford. A Lucas Davenport novel(#25). There are people called 'Travelers' who move around, do drugs, party, etc. but usually stay within the spirit of the law. Someone is killing them. Lucas's daughter is involved with these 'Travelers' and asks for help from her Dad. He finds a mystery that explodes beyond his imagination. Very Good and Recommended.  

"Time Salvager" by Wesley Chu. A SF novel in the 26th Century. Earth is a mostly dead planet. Most of humanity lives off Earth in other parts of the Solar System. Entropy has set in, Humanity is going downhill and will disappear in some future time. There is the Chronmen, time travelers who go back in time to gather technology, food, wood even, just to get by on, in this 26th Century.  They have high tech time travel but low tech everything else. The author gives you tidbits on how this all came about. By 2098, America had spit into a few new countries. That I can buy into, I already see this happening right now. After 2098, the Great Decay set in. Excellent and Highly Recommended. A sequel is coming out next year. 

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Jonathan Kapleau updated their profile
yesterday
Steve K commented on Steve K's blog post Games I'm Playing 2017
"Circus Maximus (above) and Imperium (below).  From GMT's "Rome" 2002. …"
yesterday
David Wessman updated their profile
yesterday
Bruce Ivar Gudmundsson replied to Bruce Ivar Gudmundsson's discussion Squad Leader (and similar games) as a tool for creating tactical decision games (TDGs) and free wargames in the group Marine Maneuver Warfare Wargamers
"This is splendid.  Thank you so much for the post, as well as for the article."
Wednesday
Bruce Ivar Gudmundsson and Alan Hastings are now friends
Wednesday
Markm1767 commented on Markm1767's photo
Thumbnail

pl6

"Panzer leader situation No. 10 Operation Market: Arnhem. Decisive German victory."
Nov 13
Markm1767 posted photos
Nov 13
Markm1767 commented on Markm1767's photo
Thumbnail

pl3

"Panzer Leader - Situation No.1 German victory"
Nov 12

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2017   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service