I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 4796

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Read: "How Churchill Saved Civilization" by John Harte. This book's main purpose is to provide an account of Churchill's policies before and during WWII and their consequences for readers who don't want to read a multi-volume history of the war. The author attempts to tell the story how the world we know it was almost ended in the 1940's. But there is a problem, the author is very short on the historical facts of WWII's play-by-play. The battles and campaigns are all jumbled up and out of chronological order. The insight into Churchill and how he accomplished what he did is very good and I recommend the book only on this. 

"Churchill & Orwell: The Fight For Freedom" by Thomas E. Ricks. Two different men, ideologically, and from different social backgrounds but both are Giants on what they stood for and accomplished against the odds. They stood for Freedom of the individual over all else. Churchill the aristocrat and politician and George Orwell the writer and leftist fighter came to the same conclusion, totalitarianism whether from the right or the left is the same: the end of Liberty. Outstanding and Highly Recommended.  

Read: "Don't Let Go" by Harlan Coben. A novel of mystery and suspense. 15 years ago, Nap Dumas's twin brother and his girlfriend were killed by a train under mysterious circumstances. A few days after the train accident, Nap's girlfriend disappears. Is there a connection? Now a police officer is murdered on a routine traffic stop. The car the killer was in, has Nap's girlfriend's fingerprints in it. Now Nap goes all out to solve the mystery of his brother's death. Very Good and Recommended.

"Strange Dogs" by James S. A. Corey. A SF novella for the "Expanse" book series. On the planet Laconia, a group of explorers and their families are checking this planet out among all the other 1300 worlds open up by the Ancient Aliens stargate. Then the soldiers came. Cara, a little girl born on this new world, makes a discovery that will change everything. Very Good and Recommended.

Read: " City of Endless Night" by Preston & Child. A Pendergast mystery novel. FBI agent Pendergast and police detective D'Agosta are reunited in solving a group of diabolical murders of powerful people in NYC. A problem with the bodies, they are all missing their heads. Lots of twists and turns till the end. Very Good and Recommended. 

Read: "Invisible Prey" by John Sanford. A Lucas Davenport mystery novel. Two old and wealthy women are beaten to death. Nothing very expensive was stolen or maybe there was. There is a link with this crime to others. Virgil Flowers, a new character, is introduced and will receive his own book series. Outstanding and Highly Recommended.

"Shock Wave" by John Sanford. A Virgil Flowers mystery novel. A bomb goes off at a billionaire's superstore Hqs. in Michigan. Then another in a small town in Minnesota where the superstore is trying to open a new store. There is a problem: environmentalists fearing a natural disaster and local business men fearing total loss for their livelihood. Time for Virgil Flowers to come in and figure everything out. Things might not be so clear cut. Very Good and Recommended.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Robert Juranek left a comment for Eric Walters
"Thanks Eric, Gathering Storm rules have been problematic but I think after many reads there is a…"
12 hours ago
Ste Kears is now a member of ConsimWorld
15 hours ago
Richard Lunardi joined Jo Bader's group
Thumbnail

Hexdraw Users

a place to discuss which new graphics are needed to realize your MapsSee More
yesterday
Profile Icondug, Spencer Olson and Akis joined ConsimWorld
Tuesday
Steve K commented on Steve K's blog post Games I'm Playing 2018
"Another "65 scenario, this one has the VC trying to overrun an American position in the Ia…"
Tuesday
Ian Schofield posted a photo
Monday
Andrew Franke joined Ron Wuerth's group
Thumbnail

PrezCon Attendees

A place to talk about PrezCon's past, present and future.
Monday
Jim Thomas updated their profile
Saturday

Groups

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2018   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service