I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 5159

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Read: "Modern Islamic Warfare: An Ancient Doctrine Marches On" by Harold Rhode. This book explains the process that the muhammadans are using to overthrow the West just like they did to others since 622A.D. The author cuts through the obfuscation, deceptions, and scholarly apologias to explain how this is being done in a readable fashion. Outstanding and Highly Recommended.

"Tide of Empires:Volume Two: Decisive Navel Campaigns in the Rise of the West 1654-1763" by Peter Padfield. This volume takes up the evolution of Western navel warfare in all its parts from the Anglo-Dutch Wars to the end of the Seven Years War with England taking the lead over all others.(See earlier post on Vol. One) Very Good and Recommended.

"Rollo the Viking: The Life and Legacy of the Viking Ruler Who Conquered Normandy" by Charles River Editors. A bio on Rollo who founded the Duchy of Normandy. His descendants would conquer England in 1066 and Southern Italy in the late 11th Century.  Very Good and Recommended.

Read: "Sword and Scimitar: Fourteen Centuries of War Between Islam and the West" by Raymond Ibrahim. The title says it all. Begins with the first muhammadan attacks on Christendom in the 7th Century in the Middle East, Anatolia, North Africa, the Med, Spain, France, Italy and the Balkans.  Then there was the Christian counterattack in all these same areas after being provoked first. Then the muhammadan invasions of the Balkans and Russia in the 13th Century, etc.  This war continues to this day. Outstanding coverage and Highly Recommended. 

"The Sack of Rome by the Visigoths in 410AD: The History of the Event that Marked the Final Decline of the Western Roman Empire" by Charles River Editors. A short but good coverage of this important year of Roman History. Recommended.

" My Forever Heartache: Four Years of Discovery with the Kalahari Bushmen" by Bernard Horton. The author, a Welshman, moves to Botswana to live with the Bushmen, to be able learn their ways of life. The Bushmen are almost extinct. They use to live all over the southern part of Africa but the Bantu(Zulus, Xhosa, etc) moving from Central Africa carried out ethnic cleansing at best and worst, genocide. Very Good and Recommended.

"The Singularity Trap" by Dennis E. Taylor. A SF novel in the near future where an asteroid miner, down on his luck, is put in the position by dumb luck, as the only one who can save the Human Race. A pageburner of  a story. Could not put it down till finished. Outstanding and Highly Recommended.

Read: "Legion Versus Phalanx" by Myke Cole. This covers the period 280-168 BC when the Legion and the Phalanx clashed. The author shows how and why the Legion, with its more flexible organization, versatile tactics, and superior discipline would replace the Phalanx and dominate the ancient battlefield. Very Good and Recommended.

"Laughing Shall I Die: Lives and Deaths of the Great Vikings" by Tom Shippey. The author sets out to prove the Vikings were exactly what they were: vicious, ruthless, with their berserkers, valkyries, and cults of Valhalla and Ragnarok which have been verified by there own actions, words, their victims, and archaeological evidence. There has been attempts to whitewash the Vikings by the pc crowd but the author debunks this. The author presents the Vikings for what they were: not peaceful explorers and traders, but bloodthirsty warriors and marauders. I'm convinced. Great in the telling and Highly Recommended.  

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

John Dietrich joined Ed Beach's group
Thumbnail

Great Campaigns of the American Civil War

Fans of the GCACW series. Titles include: Stonewall Jackson's Way, Here Come The Rebels, Roads to…See More
8 hours ago
Steve K commented on Steve K's blog post Games I'm Playing 2018
"Bosworth 1485, the last battle from GMT's Blood & Roses. We played all the battles in the…"
yesterday
Hernan Ruiz Camauer commented on Gilbert Collins's blog post Hex grid as a file
"Gilbert, If you download Battlegrounds Gaming Engine from here, you'll find some transparent…"
yesterday
Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Read: "Legion Versus Phalanx" by Myke Cole. This covers the period 280-168 BC when the…"
yesterday
Wayne Rotella joined Matt Severns's group
Thumbnail

MARKETPLACE -

Buyin', Sellin' and good ol' fashioned horse tradin.......Can't find what you need? Go to the CSW…See More
Sunday
Joseph replied to John Kranz's discussion What are you playing?
"Played: "Wide Blue Yonder" by GMT Games. A campaign game where the Ami's lost. This…"
Sunday
Armand R. Cingolani III is now a member of ConsimWorld
Dec 12
Oliver S. Linßen joined Matt Severns's group
Thumbnail

MARKETPLACE -

Buyin', Sellin' and good ol' fashioned horse tradin.......Can't find what you need? Go to the CSW…See More
Dec 11

Groups

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2018   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service