I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 5738

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A lot of books on many subjects being read. I've been reading recently, books on Rome's Gothic Wars and the Battle of Adrianople 378AD for a project of mine. Making a scenario on this battle and others of this time frame using GMT'S GBOH system. Going to be retiring in a couple of months so I need something to do. Other books I'm reading or just finished are "Echoes of an Alien Sky" a SF book by James P. Hogan. Aliens from Venus in a distant future send robot probes to Earth for a look see. They find the planet livable and what looks like remains of a sentient civilization. So, scientists in all the fields travel to the Earth to see what this civilization was about. You see, there is plant and animal life on the Earth but the sentient lifeform, Humans, is extinct. There seems to have been terrible wars, WWIII & WWIV, that maybe caused this extinction. Also, the Venusians believe in an "Intelligent Creator" of the universe. I've read other Hogan books but not for some years. This was good. Computer disks are mostly worthless as archaeological remains to be studied. They deteriorate easier than paper over this timespan. Save your paper books, etc.

Reading two books at the same time, "Rome and the Barbarians: 100BC-400AD" by Thomas Burns, and "The Legacy of Jihad: Islamic Holy War and the Fate of Non-Muslims" Ed. Andrew G. Bostom, MD. Both are very good so far. Just bought today from Barnes and Noble(have a discount) "Troublesome Young Men: The rebels who Brought Churchill to Power and Helped save England" by Lynne Olson., MHQ Mag: Main article on Stalingrad, and what I wanted , Heraclius. Roman emperor during the rise of Islam, and Military History Mag special on warlords: Alex the great, Julius Caesar, Genghis Khan, Napoleon and Adolf Hitler. Along side my wargaming, this will keep me busy. The wife likes it better when I'm not underfoot. She has her own hobbies that don't merge with mine.
I'm finding out that being the professor can require as much studying as being the student. Right now I'm embarked on a crash reading of Which Side Are You On? An Introduction to Politics by Stephen Rosskamm Shalom, for my intro course at CCAC. Then I've got to start reading the text book for the American Government course that I'm teaching there, right after Labor Day. I should also read up on The Federalist Papers, especially Number 10 (by James Madison and covering factions), as it's supposed to be an important part of the course.
I just finished Rubicon again by Tom Holland - what a lovely read.
Not a bad read - reading a book on the Yom Kippur War.
May I know which particular one?
The 1973 Arab-Israeli War: The Albatross of Decisive Victory
Today's is Gazala - an underwhelming book from Osprey....
Our Jungle Road to Tokyo by Robert L Eichelberger One of the 4 boxes of books I got free from a librarian wargamer/collector while he was eliminating 35 boxes of them. They had been accumulating for years. I got many gems including the green book older version of Salerno to Cassino, official US history. (the one with all the maps).
A very warm account of the horrific battles leading up to the end of the Pacific island hopping campaign on MacArthur's side of the fence. It goes hand in hand with the books on Stillwell I got in the collection due to the rain, privation and problems in the sickening mud and indoctrination of Japanese suicidal warfare.
General Eichelbergers writing reminded me of a different kind of man that is nearly extinct. Much like the personality of my long gone father in law. Kind leadership of the most precious sort.
On my nightstand, all in various stages of being read:

Laqueur: No End to War
Taber & Timpone: Computation Modeling
H.P. Lovecraft: The Tomb
Liang and Xiangsui: Unrestricted Warfare
Wright: A Study of War
Zagare & Kilgore: Perfect Deterrence
Babin: Showdown
Kaku: Parallel Worlds
Phares: Future Jihad
Lalman & de Mesquita: War and Reason
Moskos: Cop in the Hood
Wodehouse: Something Fresh
Coveney & Highfield: Frontiers of Complexity
Weird Tales Anthology
Gilpin: Global Political Economy
Nicholson: Conflict Analysis

Puny mortals with your one book at a time!
Ok - John - once I finish yard work I'll go head to head with you :) Mine are recent finishes....
Man, that's a lot to read at the same time and variety too. Two to three books is my limit. Still reading the two posted earlier on this site and trying to catch up on my mags; S& T's, "World at War, ATO, and various others.
Since you liked Holland's "Rubicon" to read again, try his "Persian Fire". Excellent read. "Rubicon" is the better of the two, I thought.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Read: "White Gold" by Giles Milton. A Bio of Thomas Pellow, who at 11 yrs. old and 51…"
15 hours ago
Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Read: "Relic" by Alan Dean Foster. A SF novel with a twist.  In the distant future,…"
Tuesday
Eric Walters left a comment for Bob Jones
"Bob, great to see you here!  Welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social Website!  Hope you find…"
Dec 1
Bob Jones is now a member of ConsimWorld
Dec 1
Eric Walters left a comment for Chris Haupt
"Chris, it sure looks like you appreciate the pre-Napoleonic and Napoleonic era games!  1776…"
Nov 30
Chris Haupt updated their profile
Nov 28
Eric Walters commented on John G Galloway's photo
Thumbnail

GMT Stalingrad 42

"Am wanting to dive into this myself, but I've got a stack of games in front of it in my…"
Nov 28
John G Galloway posted a photo

GMT Stalingrad 42

Another fantastic Simonitch design that fits perfectly on my table.
Nov 28

Groups

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2019   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service