I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 5752

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Finally getting around to reading AT ALL COSTS by David Weber. It's volume 11 in the Honor Harrington series. Space Opera at it's finest. I've had it for over 2 years and finally cracked the cover.
I just finished Crossing the Rhine by Lloyd Clark, an account of WWII Allied Operations Market Garden and Plunder Varsity with a brief history Allied airborne unit development during the '30's and 40's. I was left with mixed feelings. The author provides an account of these two operations from a mixed perspective bouncing back and forth between first hand accounts and operational overviews. In my opinion, the way in which this was written made it difficult to follow the larger operational flow of battle. The maps provided don't match well with the recounting of the operation, and are poorly placed making reference difficult while reading.

The book also has some good points. The first hand accounts are well researched and truly gripping - especially those accounts discussing the fighting in the Oosterbeek perimeter in Operation Market. Operation Varsity was written in a more consistent style and easier to follow. The historical summary of allied airborne unit development was well written and will be of interest to anyone who watched Band of Brothers.

The author, a British Military Historian, definately has an opinion on Field Marshal Montgomery's strategic and operational capabilities in relation to Operation Market Garden. Mr. Clark goes as far as saying Market Garden was a success in a strategic sense. Based upon Mr. Clark's reasoning I guess the Operation could be considered a success although there is no evidence given in the book where the strategic objectives identified by Clark were a part of the Allies' planned objectives.

Overall I would recommend this book if you have an interest in airborne operations, specifically Operations Market Garden and Plunder Varsity. If you are looking for a book on WWII I'd say there are plenty of others that would be a better read than this one.
I just read this as a review assignment. Bennett does add some things that Ryan doesn't, including about the leadership of British divisions other than Guards Armoured. Plus, he goes into a lot of detail why Sosabowski was scapegoated for the operation.

All in all, it's a very good book, and more analytical than Ryan, who though crucial to studying the campaign, is more anecdotal than Bennett.
I'm reading Panzerkrieg.
An Army at Dawn by Rick Atkinson. I just ordered the second book in the Trilogy. I also enjoyed his "In the Company of Soldiers" about the Iraq invasion.
That is a good book, and I do have the second volume on deck to read when I'm done grading papers.
I'm up to Part Four in "The Day of Battle" and I think if it weren't for work and gaming, I'd just sit in one place and read the whole thing.
I'm reading 'Barcelona Architecture Guide' right now. Heh.
I'm reading the last of my American Government class' term papers.
I just read " I am Legend" and currently reading a book, I can't think of the title just now, about a F-105 polit's experience over Vietnam.
Right now I'm reading Young Stalin, by Simon Sebag Montefiore. It's an excellent book, very well-written, with important original scholarship on the origins of the man who would become Stalin. Considering the millieu of Georgia in the late nineteenth century, there are times when it reads like a combination of The Sopranos and Borat.
Gotta love Young Stalin's poetry in that book--I had no idea.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Eric Walters left a comment for Keith Powell
"You might want to check out the Revolution Games group and the All things SPI Group, for starters!"
12 hours ago
Eric Walters left a comment for Keith Powell
"Welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social Website, Keith!  You do like some golden oldie games; I have…"
12 hours ago
Keith Powell is now a member of ConsimWorld
12 hours ago
Eric Walters left a comment for Christopher A. Lawrence
"Welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social Website!  Am pretty sure you are the same Christopher A.…"
yesterday
Manuel P. Ron is now friends with Jeff Fisher and ron brooks
yesterday
Jeff Fisher posted a status
"Here is a screen shot from way back when... http://social.consimworld.com/profiles/blogs/2011369:BlogPost:29825"
yesterday
"Yep, I wrote them both and seem to have lost everything having to do with the newer and updated program "GTL Editor"..."
yesterday
"Everyone, I'm looking for some help. Need a copy of "GTL Editor" which I wrote back in the late 2000... Not "GTL Text Editor" Thanks"
yesterday

Groups

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2019   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service