I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 5383

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bernard Cornwell's "Sharpe's Sword", very good and Gary Jennings "Aztec". Very long but worth the read.
"A soldier of the Great War" Novel about the Italian Front in WW1
In fantasy, I've just finished "Dragons of Autumn Twilight", the first in the Dragonlance series. This the first I've read of Weiss & Hickman. I was surprised how good it was.

Also just finished the audiobook(s) "The Archer's Tale" by Bernard Cornwell. Very well performed. And "Franklin and Winston -- An Intimate Protrate of an Epic Friendship" by Jon Meacham. Also very well performed and totally fascinating.

Today I started "The Gates of Night", by Keith Baker. This is a D&D Eberron novel and it, too, is surprisingly good.

For my WW II fix, I'm reading "D-Day with the Screaming Eagles" by George Koskimaki. It is fantastic. These many personal accounts of that fateful day are engaging and enlightening. Every page gets me aching to play Advanced Squad Leader.

Jeff
I just finished "The Heights of Courage: A Tank Leader's War on the Golan" by Avigador Kahalani. This is the first person account of the 77th OZ Battalion on the Golan Heights vs. the Syrians in the 1973 War. It is read much more as a diary of events of the battle. It is compelling and simple. Kahalani won Israel's highest award for his counterattack on Booster Ridge.
I had the opportunity to meet and listen to Kahalani in 1993, but only now read his book. The book is insightful into Israel's 1973 Army. Just be reading the diary account, as a tanker myself, I am impressed with the immense flexibility of the IDF to assemble ad hoc fighting organizations and communications during this war. Also, I was just as impressed to learn how quickly tanks were abandoned when the TCs were killed.
I highly recommend the book- not for any literary merit, but as an eyewitness account to one of the highest intensity battles waged in the late 20th century.
I am browsing mainly pictorials of World War II tanks now.
Liberty and Tyranny by Mark Levin.
Men in Arms: A History of Warfare and its Interrelationships With Western Society, by Richard A. Preston and Sydney Wise.
May I know if anyone has read 'Vietnam: The History of an Unwinnable War, 1945-1975 (Modern War Studies)' by John Prados?

http://www.amazon.com/Vietnam-History-Unwinnable-1945-1975-Studies/...

If so, how did you find it?

I found it - at least interesting....
Finished; "The Fall of Rome and the End of Civilization" by Bryan Ward-Perkins. This is about the continuous debate on how Rome fell. By violence or was it a peaceful fall. The author supports the violent reason as do I. Too much evidence to support this like all the evidence to support evolution over "A higher Power". The book was dry but short, 183 pages to read plus the glossary, etc. The first chapters were very good but later chapters dry when the author put forward the evidence.This was a necessity though to prove his point. Its sorta like, listening to the lawyers, present their evidence in a courtroom, mostly dry stuff but necessary.

Another book was "Defense of the Faith: Charles V, Suleyman the Magnificent, and the Battle for Europe, 1520-1536, by James Reston, Jr. Overall a good read but must be careful of the author's prejudices in favor of the muslims. Read one of his other books on the Western counter-crusades:"Warriors of God" where he was very prejudiced against the Western Crusaders and in favor of the brutal muslim crusaders. This is the normal revisionist history of today of the left.
Just started "Liberal Fascism" by Jonah Goldberg. Some powerful stuff here in light of what our President is trying to accomplish.
I just started Caution & Cooperation: The American Civil War in British-American Relations by Phillip E. Myers. I'm reviewing it for Military Review.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Read:" Siege of Acre, 1189-1191:Saladin, Richard the Lionheart, and the Battle That Decided…"
9 hours ago
Markm1767 posted photos
13 hours ago
Ian Schofield posted a photo

Shiva Group First

The third ever show Shiva was entered into and he won the Hound Group. My wife was thrilled. The…
Wednesday
Nathan posted a video

'The Grand Campaign' [4 - FINAL] - Serbien muss sterbien (2 Nov to 23 Dec - 1914)

'The Grand Campaign, The Battle for Serbia 1914' 1914: Serbien Muss Sterbien [GMT Games 2015] Designer: Michael Resch
Tuesday
Profile IconKevin Strong, Jose Luis Gomez and Kenneth Trout joined ConsimWorld
Monday
Ian Schofield posted a photo

Group 4th

Shiva is very tired after his second dog show of the day.
May 19
Grofaz joined Eric Walters's group
Thumbnail

Gaming Contemporary Tactical Ground Combat

Discuss your favorite games/systems/scenarios covering pre-WWII to hypothetical future tactical…See More
May 17
Jim Millard commented on Brian Blad's group World At War
"Anybody out there have the Compendium Vol. 2 that they want to part with?"
May 17

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2019   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service