I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 5732

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have started the new Stalingrad book by Glantz...
"How Far from Austerlitz" by Alistair Horne; next in line is "Crisis in the Snows" (the Eylau Campaign) by James R. Arnold & Ralph R. Reinertsen; after that, "The War of Wars, the Great European Conflict 1793-1815" by Robert Harvey; these should keep me busy for a while.
No Simple Victory by Norman Davies.
Smitty. I just read To The Gates of Stalingrad by Glantz. The first book of a trilogy.
I started Antony Beevor's "Berlin: The Downfall 1945" recently. Grim fare, indeed. I usually rip through his works, but this one is slow going for me.
Finished: "Empires of the Sea; The Siege of Malta, the Battle of Lepanto, and the Contest for the Center of the World" by Roger Crowley. A brilliant history of Islam's attempt to conquer Europe by way of the Med. Europe, after running around in circles(sound familiar) finally got their act together and Checked(not mate) the muslims in this endeavor. The author describes this in vivid details such as the taking of millions of Europeans as slaves.(His words).

"The Enemy at the Gate; Habsburgs, Ottomans and the Battle for Europe" by Andrew Wheatcroft. A perfect followup to the above book. Starts with the Siege of Vienna in 1683 and then the Liberation of Hungary and Croatia and parts of the Balkans from Islam. These guys new what had to be done. No running in circles, Europe was wide awake at last. But today, alas....This is when Prince Eugene of Savoy won his spurs. One of the top ten Military Captains of all time. Both very highly recommended.
Just finished "A Terrible Glory: Custer and the Little Bighorn" by James Donovan (not quite so harsh on Custer, but blasted Reno) and "Albuera 1811: The Bloodiest Battle of the Peninsular War" by Guy Dempsey (not too flattering of either Marshal Beresford or Soult). I liked the epitaph 'The war in Spain leads to fortunes for generals, boredom for officers and death for soldiers.' Just started reading "An Illustrated History of the Crusades and the Crusader Knights" by Charles Phillips -- always a favorite era of mine. I still remember how eagerly I awaited the issue of S&T with their game on the Crusades...
Finished "Tiberius Caesar" by G.P. Baker. Another excellent book by Mr. Baker.

"Caesar: Life of a Colossus" by Adrian Goldsworthy. Very good but C. Meier's was better.
I have just finished the old Poul Anderson classic 'Tau Zero'. It's quite something.
I seem to have had a number of books on the go for some time:-
Barbarossa by Alan Clark,
JG Ballards SF?? novel - The drowned world.
Harold the king by Helen Hollick

I am looking forward to reading Beevors book on D-Day.
I just finished *Descent into Chaos: the US and the Disaster in Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Central Asia*. A pretty depressing read. I have a lot of respect for the author, Ahmed Rashid, though he can be kinda shrill at the same time. Sadly, in so many ways, there just aren't any good, easy choices here.

I'm just slowly starting an interesting work on White Mountain that I came across here in France. *La bataille de la Montagne Blanche: un mystique chez les guerriers*. He focuses on three specific aspects of the first battle of the 30 Years War: the nitty-gritty of what battle was like for the guys in the squares (he's trying for John Keegan), then the role of a religious zealot, Dominique de Jesu-Marie, a Carmelite monk who rallied the Imperial troops, then how the battle was viewed by Catholic counter-reformation. Wow, that's a mouthful. Hope it's as good as it sounds. I had the chance to visit the battlefield this year, and would like to know more about it.

BTW, has anyone finished one of William Guthrie's works on the battles of the 30 Years War? How is it?
Yes,I have read both volumes and I think they are the best of their kind, outstanding volumes. They include long army lists of both sides (re-constructed from documents). The numbers for certain battles were uncertain. Again, there were estimates.

There were detailed descriptions of each formation's leaders. The army positions and dispositions were hand-drawn but more than adequate.

And of course the aftermath.

If I recall, there were also descriptions of each years' campaigning.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Read: "Relic" by Alan Dean Foster. A SF novel with a twist.  In the distant future,…"
Tuesday
Eric Walters left a comment for Bob Jones
"Bob, great to see you here!  Welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social Website!  Hope you find…"
Sunday
Bob Jones is now a member of ConsimWorld
Sunday
Eric Walters left a comment for Chris Haupt
"Chris, it sure looks like you appreciate the pre-Napoleonic and Napoleonic era games!  1776…"
Saturday
Chris Haupt updated their profile
Nov 28
Eric Walters commented on John G Galloway's photo
Thumbnail

GMT Stalingrad 42

"Am wanting to dive into this myself, but I've got a stack of games in front of it in my…"
Nov 28
John G Galloway posted a photo

GMT Stalingrad 42

Another fantastic Simonitch design that fits perfectly on my table.
Nov 28
Dennis A. Spors commented on Dennis A. Spors's group Marshal Enterprises
"We are working on a new title but it will not be a game in Spain. The new release will be featured…"
Nov 28

Groups

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2019   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service