I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 5346

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are few books of the Thirty Years War that has left me awed. This is one of them. It's not a narrative history of the course of the war, nor is it an analysis. The title is indicative.
Strangely enough, I started on 'The Drowned World' lately, about twenty-two years after I bought it. I have been meaning to read this and I kept putting it off.
Finished "Sharp's Enemy" by Bernard Cornwell. Sharp is moving closer to France. Very good. And "Flinx Transcendent" by Alan Dean Foster. The final chapter in the 35 year tale of Flinx and his mini-drag, Pip to save the Galaxy. Hope the author continues with his Humanx Commonwealth stories. Very good SF series.
I just finished "Loon" a new book by a Marine in Vietnam. I highly recommend this title to anyone interested in a quick, yet extremely well written book about Vietnam. I love books about Marines, since I am a former Marine, and this will remain in my library for years to come.
In the middle of BARBARIANS, MARAUDERS, AND INFIDELS, WATERLOO, and OUR BONES ARE SCATTERED, a history of the Indian mutiny of 1857.
OUR BONES ARE SCATTERED is an awesome book. I read it years ago, but have been wanting to go back to it again.
I'm midway through 'Queen Victoria's Little Wars'. Old title from the early seventies.
Iam currently reading"The Scarlet Pimpernel" by Baroness Orczy and "Napoleon" by Emil Ludwig. I seem to have a thing for the early French Republic period. Viva la France!
Hello!

I'm reading "Guns of August" by Barbara Tuchman and "A peace to end all Peace" by Fromkin about the fall of the Ottoman empire and the formation of modern Middle East. Both highly recommendable for Paths and Pursuit of Glory afficionados....
I bought Guns of August soon after sinking my teeth into Avalon Hill's 1914, which was my first wargame. That really enhanced the experience of playing one and reading the other, and I think I ended up reading Guns of August three times over the last thirty-five years.
Reading Dunkirk, Fight to the Last Man...really good so far. Very enlightening as to the dissarry in both the French and BEF command structures during the German invasion.
I just finished 'How Rome Fell' by Goldsworthy. He knows his stuff inside and out. I have read a number of books on this topic and it is amazing the range of opinions. The range from cataclysmic destruction to "Fall? What fall? It was a peaceful transition to something different." to this book that maintains that yes their was a slow fall, mostly self inflicted, that did leave the average person in a poorer world (both economically and intellectually).

An author's take on this subject seems to project the society that they live in. The current belief being taught in many universities is the peaceful transition theory. I never could buy into that one. I think Goldsworthy's book makes the most sense of any I have read on this topic.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Jim Millard commented on Brian Blad's group World At War
"Eric, I looked at the new edition and saw the rulebook and decided to keep on suffering through the…"
yesterday
Eric Walters posted a status
""
yesterday
Eric Walters commented on Brian Blad's group World At War
"Not playing as much as I used to--still have all the modules.  May have to move over to the…"
yesterday
Jim Millard commented on Brian Blad's group World At War
"Anybody still playing this? I started out on the system late with EG Deluxe / BaB / ItB /…"
yesterday
Jim Millard joined Brian Blad's group
yesterday
Profile IconPeter Dahlin, Albert Wu and David Lally joined ConsimWorld
yesterday
skippen joined Ed Beach's group
Thumbnail

Great Campaigns of the American Civil War

Fans of the GCACW series. Titles include: Stonewall Jackson's Way, Here Come The Rebels, Roads to…See More
Monday
skippen joined Brian Blad's group
Thumbnail

Great Battles of the American Civil War

This is the place to discuss GMT/Richard Berg's GBACW series of games
Monday

Groups

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2019   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service