I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 6166

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am re-reading an oldie Van Woodward's _The Battle of Leyte Gulf_. It's a new copy I bought to replace the 35 cent Ballentine that has browned and is shedding pages. I also have a good start on Tony Le Tissier's _The Battle of Berlin_. It's better than _ Zukhov on the Oder_.
Just finished -The Enemy at the Gate-Habsburgs,Ottomans and the Battle for Europe

Reading two right now

Glantz-To the Gates of Stalingrad.I have the other two volumes in the trilogy waiting next

John H Gill - 1809 Thunder on the Danube:Defeat of the Hapsburgs. Vol II Aspern

And just in this week from The History Book Club and Amazon.com

The White War(Italian Front 1915-1919)
The Winter War
Almost a Miracle:American Victory in the War of Independence
Saratoga
Vicksburg 1863
Napoleon and Europe:4 Vol set-
Vol I:The End of the Old Order 1801-1805
Vol II:Birth of an Empire 1806-1808
Vol III:Clash of Empires 1809-1812
Vol IV:The Grand Coalition 1813-1815
THE KNIFE OF NEVER LETTING GO, Patrick Ness

MOLLY IVINS CAN'T SAY THAT, CAN SHE?, Molly Ivins

COCHRANE, Robert Harvey

ROADSIDE GEOLOGY OF SOUTHERN BRITISH COLUMBIA, Mathews & Monger

pax, smn
I got in earlier this week-A Gallant Little Army on Scott's Mexico City campaign which I finished yesterday.Had to laugh about the chapter on the occupation of the country and the antics between our young officers(soon to be Civil War generals) and the ladies.

Capt Joseph Hooker was know as-El Capitan Hermoso:the beautiful captain

Lt Ambrose Burnside had an affair with a girl named Anita who saw him kissing another young lady. she attacked the other woman and pulled out a large chunk of hair and then came at Ambrose with a knife but he ran for safety.He later told his friend Henry Heth-Be careful about anything to do with these Mexican girls.

But the most accomplished seducer in the army was Winfield Scott Hancock! Heth knew to stick close to Hancock because he got all the invitations to events and at one Hancock meet the beautiful and wealthy Isabella Garcia. Hancock took her hand and kissed it and said that he had "Never loved before". Heth later said -How could he say that since he has said it to dozens of woman in Mexico City and who knows how many back in the States. Hancock replied- All is fair in love and war.
Priceless!

I've now started reading,The White War on the Italian front in WWI
Read an interesting SF book last night from a Japanese author, which is not common as yet but I think might be starting to get more so as more competent translators show up due to the popularity of manga (sic?). It was a short novel called THE LORD OF SANDS AND TIME by Issui Ogawa. Felt very much like something from back in the "golden age" of SF from the '40s through the early '60s. It was fun, but I like more depth of characterization so would not want to read a lot of it. The brevity helps a lot, which I think was key both then and now. Which is why now, with the default length of a modern novel at least 350 pages, if the characterization is not very good and very fast, I find I cannot keep reading. This was only 200 pages long. Over to reading a biography of Cochrane now. Talk about a flawed 'hero'. :)

pax, smn
Just finished an autobiographical book by Charie Siringo--the cowboy-turned-Pinkerton,describing his exploits in the Old West. Currently reading From Here to Infinity (Astronomy for laymen) and The International Jew, by Henry Ford. I'd never heard of the latter and wouldn't have chosen it on my own, but am reading it online at the request of a friend who thinks I need a history lesson.
Finishing "So far from God" (John Eisenhower). Next will be "Five chimneys" (Olga Lengyel) and "Tau Zero" (Poul Anderson), I don't know in what order.
I am glad to see 'Tau Zero' re-issued in a new edition. I would not have the opportunity otherwise. I read it about a month back. I went on to purchase the collection with 'To outlive eternity' in it.
Bridging the Foreign Policy Divide: Liberals and Conservatives Find Common Ground on 10 Key Global Challenges, edited by Derek Chollet, Tod Lindberg, and David Schorr.

It's the textbook for the American Foreign Policy class I'm going to teach at La Roche College.
Some new reads: "Destiny Disrupted: A History of the World Through Islamic Eyes" by Tamim Ansary. Worthless Islamic Propaganda.

"Augustus: The Life of Rome's first Emperor" by Anthony Everitt. Very good read.

"Fighting for the Faith: The Many Fronts of Crusade and Jihad 1000-1500AD." Good in spots but mostly boring.
I just started reading Patton's Ghost Corps last night. It covers the fighting by XX Corps in the Saar-Moselle Triangle in early 1945.
Wow, that sounds like a cool book! Do you know who the publisher is? I love reading about Patton!! :-) It might make some good scenarios for CC or ASL if they haven't been done yet!

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

John Kane left a comment for Eric Walters
"Hi, Eric. Thanks for the welcome. I'll have a wee look around shortly. Family life is a bit…"
9 hours ago
Brian Dodge left a comment for Eric Walters
"Hi Eric. Thank you for the warm welcome. I am sure I will be able to find some great groups to join."
9 hours ago
Eric Walters left a comment for John Kane
"Welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social Website, John!  I hope you find some groups that you like…"
10 hours ago
Eric Walters left a comment for Thom Hall
"Thom, welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social Website.  Yeah, I have that same problem with listing…"
10 hours ago
Eric Walters left a comment for James Boyd
"James, welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social Website!  Stonewall's Sword is sure a cool game;…"
10 hours ago
Eric Walters left a comment for Brian Dodge
"Brian, welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social Website!  Decision Games' D-DAY AT OMAHA beach…"
10 hours ago
Profile IconThom Hall, James Boyd, John Kane and 1 more joined ConsimWorld
10 hours ago
Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Read: "Stephen and Matilda: The Civil War of 1139-53" by Jim Bradbury. Stephen promised…"
11 hours ago

Groups

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

© 2020   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service