I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 6214

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Right now I'm reading Tip of the Spear: US Army Small-Unit Action in Iraq, 2004-2007, edited by Jon T. Hoffman.

It's a very good, interesting book on tactics in Iraq, from the Army's Center of Military History - Thanks Smitty! Interested readers can also download Tip of the Spear in pdf form at http://www.history.army.mil/html/books/iraq/TotS/index.html.
Looks pretty cool! I've downloaded it and I can't wait to read it. Thanks, Jim and Smitty!
Read: "EndKampf: Soldiers, Civilians, and the Death of the Third Reich" by Stephen G. Fritz. A good read, but dry at times, on the American GI's in Franconia, a staunch Nazi area of Germany. GI's, German civilians and soldiers fighting each other over the corpse of Nazi Germany in the last months of the war.

"When Christ and His Saints Slept" by Sharon Kay Penman. A historical novel on King Stephen's reign in England(called the Anarchy) and the coming of the Plantagenet Dynasty. Another excellent story by Ms. Penman. Recommended.
I'm reading "The Rising Tide" by ?? Shaara (first name is lost in the recesses of my brain somewhere) and just starting "Envisioning Information" by Edward R. Tufte. I haven't decided if I like Shaara's book yet, but I'll keep pressing on and see if I can get used to his writing style. The topic, at least, has my interest.
His first name is Jeff. I have his book Gone for Soldiers. You might like it.
Lee, what's the topic/time period for "Gone for Soldiers"? (Yes, I could check Amazon for details, but then I miss all the human interaction...)
The topic is the Mexican-American War from 1846-1848. I wouldn't want you to miss the human interaction! :-)
Well, I'm not really enjoying "The Rising Tide" much, but I'm still pushing through it for now. I'm not sure I'd be up to reading more of his work. Something about his writing style just doesn't suit my reading style. :0(
Currently reading Watchmen (Comic)
I've taken a break from scholarly works and am re reading David Drakes Slammers novels. These books would be good fodder for an updated wargame. The one from Mayfair Games is a bit anemic/conventional.

When I'm done with the hovertank fest, I have the "Proud Tower" by Barbara Tuchman in waiting on the nightstand.
I love Barbara Tuchman's books! She is such a good writer!
Two chapters to go in Enemy at the Gates but I've set that aside to read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clark at the moment.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Read: "Vikings at War" by Kim Hjardar and Vegard Vike. A comprehensive military history…"
9 hours ago
Rob B left a comment for Eric Walters
"Thanks for the welcome!"
yesterday
Eric Walters left a comment for Will Kohudic
"GMT's AWAW is indeed a lifestyle, and that's even without the GATHERING STORM and STORM…"
yesterday
"Will, I hear you on the press of responsibilities (family and work).  That's very much…"
yesterday
Will Kohudic left a comment for Eric Walters
"Hi Eric, and thank you. I work full time and have a big family, so it would be most accurate to say…"
Monday
Eric Walters left a comment for Carlos Díaz
"Carlos, welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social website!  Quite a large collection you have, but…"
Monday
Eric Walters left a comment for Rob B
"Welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social website, Rob!  You appear to have some eclectic tastes in…"
Monday
"Welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social Website, Will!  If you only have a few titles, at least you…"
Monday

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

© 2020   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service