I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 6280

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just finished the second book: "The Girl Who Played with Fire". It was outstanding and I could not put it down just like the first book. The movie was also close to the book. Now to check out the third book.
I have finished the Millennium trilogy and they are compelling, like you said, they are hard to put down.

I have also watched the first two films. Like you said, the two mediums approximate each other. The movies were well-cast and faithful. I was impressed.
Read: "The Byzantine Empire" by Charles W. C. Oman. This was first published in 1892. I liked the book and Oman's style of writing but modern books would be more up to date.

"The Confessor" by Daniel Silva. A novel on Pope Pius XII and the Jewish Holocaust. It is a spy thriller. Very good and recommended.
I have read a few Oman books, but I have not seen this particular one. Has it much details on battles of that era?
This book is not much on battle details. Its just a general overview of the Byzantine Empire. I've read his "History of the Art of War in the Middle Ages" which is very good and has decent battle details.
I have read the two volumes on the art of war in the middle ages and also one on the art of war in the 16th century. While they are dated in terms of research in some areas, they do offer a feel of the period.
Left Hand of God by Paul Hoffman. I am half way through it and so far so good
A new book by T.X. Hammes, a former company commander of mine. FORGOTTEN WARRIORS: THE 1ST PROVISIONAL MARINE BRIGADE, THE CORPS E.... Demolishes a number of myths about the Marines's preparedness to save the Pusan Perimeter in the summer of 1950. Hammes writes that it wasn't the Marines's combat experience, their hard training, their readiness, their cohesion--none of those things. It was sheer grit and determination, imbued by spirit. Very reminicient of Omer Bartov's THE EASTERN FRONT, 1941-1945, GERMAN TROOPS AND THE BARBARISATION O...; it was ideology (of sorts in the Marine case) that was the glue holding things together and enabling such battlefield successes. So much for Martin van Creveld's FIGHTING POWER.
Read: "The Legend of Basil the Bulgar-Slayer" by Paul Stephenson. I thought it was a bio on Basil II. Instead it was about how he acquired the sub-title 'Bulgar-Slayer'. Just So-So.

"The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" by Stieg Larsson. Third and last book in the Millennium Trilogy. A 'Most Outstanding' ending to the series. A must read for everyone. To bad Mr. Larsson died. I would of looked forward to more books of his.
Reading "The Volga Rises in Europe" by Curzio Malaparte, who was an Italian officer who travelled as an observer with German units across the East Front during WWII. The book was given to us by a fellow wargamer who thought there might be some interesting game material in there. I don't see any games in the reading, but it sure is interesting to read.
Sounds like an interesting book! Is it the kind that you can't put down? :-)
It would be, but I read at bedtime mostly and I have early mornings. I tend not to push too far beyond a certain hour as I know the alarm in the morning comes all too soon. :0/

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Joseph replied to John Kranz's discussion What are you playing?
"Played:" Gotterdammerung: Fall of Berlin" by Moments In History. 2nd Edition. Played…"
4 hours ago
Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Read: "The Accidental President: Harry S. Truman and the Four Months that Changed the…"
Tuesday
John Kranz posted a blog post

Moving to New Platform

I wanted to alert everyone that we are moving to a new social platform in the coming days/weeks.…See More
Monday
Phil Buczkowski joined Brian Blad's group
Thumbnail

Great Battles of the American Civil War

This is the place to discuss GMT/Richard Berg's GBACW series of games
Sunday
Phil Buczkowski joined Ed Beach's group
Thumbnail

Great Campaigns of the American Civil War

Fans of the GCACW series. Titles include: Stonewall Jackson's Way, Here Come The Rebels, Roads to…See More
Sunday
Phil Buczkowski joined Hans van Der Drift's group
Thumbnail

The Pax System by RHB

One of my favorite games is Pax RomanaI thought this would be good place to find like minded…See More
Sunday
Phil Buczkowski joined Charlescab's group
Thumbnail

command and colors ancients CCA

For fans of Command and Colors Ancients
Sunday
Phil Buczkowski joined Jan Wiescher's group
Thumbnail

World in Flames

A place for fans of this fantastic ADG game.
Sunday

Groups

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

© 2020   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service