I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 6280

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Read: "The Battle for Europe: How the Duke of Marlborugh Masterminded the Defeat of the French at Blenheim" by Charles Spencer. Excellent and highly Recommended.
It arrived today, David Glantz's magisterial BARBAROSSA DERAILED: THE BATTLE FOR SMOLENSK, 10 JULY-10 SEPTEMBER 1941, Volume 1 of four volumes. It is everything I hoped it would be and more. Veteran players of MMP's A VICTORY DENIED and old PANZERGRUPPE GUDERIAN players will love this! This book, coupled with David Stahel's OPERATION BARBAROSSA AND GERMANY'S DEFEAT IN THE EAST, finally gives us the academic treatment behind an idea most Eastern Front grognard wargamers have long suspected--the German invasion of the Soviet Union was actually lost in late summer, 1941, even before Guderian turned south to close the Kiev pocket. The second volume of this latest Glantz effort will finish the narrative; the third will provide translations of the field orders issued, and the fourth will provide a color map atlas. Finally we have what appears to be the definitive treatment of this crucial campaign. At last!
I'm reading Dashiell Hammett's "Red Harvest" - it's about a continental op's efforts to clean up personville.
One of my favorite Hammett books, and one that was assigned in a collge English class about thirty years ago. I liked the class, and really liked the book.
The Coen Brothers love Hammett. Miller's Crossing is taken heavily from The Glass Key...sort of mixed in a drink shaker and served upon the screne. In Red Harvest, Hammett uses the term, blood simple, several times. I suspect, or more correctly, I speculate, that the name of their 1st movie found its name from the text of Red Harvest.
I read Hitchen's book, "The Missionary Position: Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice," by Hitchens and loved it.
Ooh, I haven't seen that one but I have heard about it. I will look for it then.

I have three other of his volumes lying around which I have yet to read.

'A Long Short War: The Postponed Liberation of Iraq.' Plume Books
'Thomas Jefferson: Author of America.' Eminent Lives/Atlas Books/HarperCollins Publishers
'Hitch-22 Some Confessions and Contradictions: A Memoir.' Hachette Book Group
Read: "Queen Victoria's Little Wars" by Byron Farwell. Excellent and Highly Recommended. Every year of Victoria's reign had some kind of war.

"Three Empire's on the Nile: The Victorian Jihad, 1869-1899" by Dominic Green. Outstanding and very engrossing. The author links all the 'usual suspects' from England, Europe, Middle East and Africa around his central story on the Mahdist Jihad in the Sudan. Then in the epilogue brings it to the Sudan problems of today. Today the price of a child slave in Sudan is $35. Very highly recommended.
"Queen Victoria's Little Wars" by Byron Farwell. What a coincidence. I read this one earlier this year as well. Black and red cover and all.
Did you like it? My copy was 'sandy' looking. Maybe a try at Khaki color.
Ahh... Mine was one of those from the Wordsworth Military Library editions. It was compelling enough that I dropped my other books to read it. It had an image of Chinese Gordon facing the Islamist horde on the cover.

Perhaps, I will read 'Send a Gunboat!: 150 Years of the British Gunboat' by Antony Preston and John Major next.

Have you read this one?
My copy's picture has Queen Victoria at the top and a British howitzer and crew with sun helmets about to fire at the bottom. No, I have not read "Send a Gunboat". Presently reading "Like Wolves on the Fold. Its about the siege of Rorke's Drift.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

John Kranz commented on John Kranz's blog post Moving to New Platform
"Most likely around end of month. Depends on how fast I can get the basic configuration work…"
4 hours ago
Joseph replied to John Kranz's discussion What are you playing?
"Not played it solitaire in a while but remember just OK."
6 hours ago
Christian A. Strasser replied to John Kranz's discussion What are you playing?
"I've been meaning to play a VitW game for some time, now.  How good is it solitaire?"
15 hours ago
Joseph replied to John Kranz's discussion What are you playing?
"Played:" Gotterdammerung: Fall of Berlin" by Moments In History. 2nd Edition. Played…"
yesterday
Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Read: "The Accidental President: Harry S. Truman and the Four Months that Changed the…"
Tuesday
John Kranz posted a blog post

Moving to New Platform

I wanted to alert everyone that we are moving to a new social platform in the coming days/weeks.…See More
Monday
Phil Buczkowski joined Brian Blad's group
Thumbnail

Great Battles of the American Civil War

This is the place to discuss GMT/Richard Berg's GBACW series of games
Nov 28
Phil Buczkowski joined Ed Beach's group
Thumbnail

Great Campaigns of the American Civil War

Fans of the GCACW series. Titles include: Stonewall Jackson's Way, Here Come The Rebels, Roads to…See More
Nov 28

Groups

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

© 2020   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service