I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 6210

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Read: "Carthage Mvst be Destroyed: The Rise and Fall of an Ancient Civilization" by Richard Miles. A excellent new book on the topic. Enjoyed the new info on early Carthage History. Highly Recommended.

"Rome & The Sword: How Warriors & Weapons Shaped Roman History" by Simon James. Very Good book on the Evolution of Roman swords and other weapons and how this influence Roman Warfare. Recommended.

"The Last Frontier: The Roman Invasions of Scotland" by Antony Kamm. A short book on these Roman campaigns and the evolution of the peoples of Scotland and their response. Very Good and Recommended.

Previous book read was A Brdige Too Far by Cornelius Ryan. 

Now I'm reading The Rising Sun: The Decline and Fall of the Japanese Empire, 1936-1945 by John Toland.  I'm at 1942 and the Doolittle Raid has just been accomplished.  This is a great book in my opinion. 

I just finished "God Is Not Great" and thought it was a brilliant read. Hitchens seems to know a lot of stuff you'd love to know and repeat when the dreary God botherers come round. Bitingly brutal some of it.

Am now reading "Rites Of Peace" by Adam Zamoyski about the congress of Vienna in 1814. This is well done, as usual with this authour. I read his "1812" about Napoleon's invasion of Russia and remember it being a real page turner, especially the account of the Berezina battle. Zamoyski's pro Polish stance allows him a view of English policy that is not often aired in books published in England about this period. His attitude to Napoleon is ambivalent too so his books avoid the usual pro or anti Napoleon arguing. He has a lot of previously unknown (to me) background information on the motivations of people like Czar Alexander, Metternich, Castlereagh and all the minor German sovereigns. Very interesting and absorbing if this period is your thing, as it is mine.

I'm reading Okinawa:The Final Battle by several soldier authors-Appleman, Burns, Gugeler, Stevens. They are all veterans of WWII and Korea. The Book is medium sized and covers the whole battle as well as the prelude of planning the whole operation.  The Publisher is Skyhorse Publishing, NY, NY. I have read up to the beginning of the invasion. Very interesting so far! More later! 

Lee,

when you are done with that, I recommend picking up a copy of Leavenworth Papers Number 18:  Japan's Battle of Okinawa April-June 1945 by Thomas M Huber and published by the US Army Combat Studies Institute.  It is concise at 145 pages and focuses on the Japanese planning  and operations.  Huber's thesis is that Japanese Staff's analysis to counter Japanese offensive doctrine by digging in an integrated cave defense led to the ability to match the US superiority that otherwise outmatched the Japanese  10 to 1.  You can pick it up for free pdf at . http://usacac.army.mil/CAC2/CSI/LeavenworthPapers.asp#title

Thanks, Eric for the link. I saved the report and it looks good. Good gaming!!

I've just finished James Ellroy's American Tabloid and started Cold Six Thousand. Next up will be Blood's a Rover to finish the trilogy.

Read; "The Killer" by Tom Wood. A political suspense thriller on a hitman who finds out he has bitten off more than he can chew. Everyone is out to get him, really. Very Good and Recommended.

"The Confession" by Charles Todd. A Ian Rutledge Mystery. Ian is a Scotland Yard Inspector in 1920's England. A man confesses to a crime he did not do and he is not who he says he is. Leads to a mystery within a mystery. Excellent and Highly Recommended.

"The Fifth Woman" by Henning Mankell. A Kurt Wallender mystery. Takes place in Sweden(author is Swedish) where a serial killer is brutally murdering men whom have abused women. Very Good and Recommended.

Starting David Stahel's KIEV, 1941, which should be just as good as his last volume on OPERATION BARBAROSSA AND GERMANY'S DEFEAT IN THE EAST.  Also have Stephen G. Fritz's OSTKRIEG: HITLER'S WAR OF EXTERMINATION IN THE EAST but haven't cracked into that yet.  FInally, who could resist Laura Broadwell's biography of David Petraeus, ALL IN? 

Just finished Shopgirl by Steve Martin and wrapped up reading the Hobbit to my class.

Currently starting The kraken by China Mieville, Day of Battle by Rick Atkinson, and a collection of Norse Myths from Pantheon Press.

My son is to read the Hobbit next year. In fact its his summer reading. I am so excited for him. I hope he loves it. Dad will try resisting the urge to edit his summer reading paper he has to write!

Read: "The Red Door" and "A Matter of Justice" by Charles Todd. Both are Ian Rutledge mysteries. It is 1920 England and the Great War has been over for almost two years but there are still left overs. Cover ups and revenge, even going back to the Boer War lead Scotland Yard Inspector Ian Rutledge to solve the case. Since this is 1920, no internet and hardly any phones and you have to crank your car to start it. Both very good and Recommended.

"Rome's Wars in Parthia: Blood in the Sand" by Rose Mary Sheldon. The author is a Colonel and head of the Dept. of History at VMI. This book is primarily about Military Intelligence the Romans' used in their wars with Parthia. What they knew or did not know. Very Good and Recommended.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Profile IconIan Raine and Aamir Zakaria joined ConsimWorld
21 hours ago
Eric Walters left a comment for Larry Belmont
"Welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social Website, Larry!  Yes, one doesn't hear much about this…"
Thursday
Larry Belmont is now a member of ConsimWorld
Thursday
Ian Schofield posted photos
Tuesday
Tom Marshall joined Ed Beach's group
Thumbnail

Great Campaigns of the American Civil War

Fans of the GCACW series. Titles include: Stonewall Jackson's Way, Here Come The Rebels, Roads to…See More
Tuesday
Dave Smith joined Charlescab's group
Monday
Eric Walters commented on Jon Compton's group Gaming Modern and Hypothetical Conflict
"World War III is back!  A slew of games published on the long-abandoned topic with many more…"
Sep 12
Eric Walters commented on Eric Walters's group FIGHTING WINGS series games
"So happy with WINGS OF THE MOTHERLAND and the LPS/ATO Kickstarter campaign to reprint an updated…"
Sep 12

Events

Members

Recent CSW News Stories

Loading… Loading feed

CSW Related Links

© 2020   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service