I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 6081

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Read: "The Viking Art of War" by Paddy Griffith. This book goes over all facets of Viking Warfare. The myth is overblown the author says of the Vikings. There is a quote: "They weren't exactly the world's brightest people" at the beginning of chapter 5 that sums it up. Very Good and Recommended.

"Blood Eye: Book 1" by Giles Kristian. This is a novel on the Vikings that starts in 802AD and covers raids of a small force in England. Future volumes take place in Francia and Byzantium.  Very Good and Recommended.

"Orders From Berlin" by Simon Tolkien. A novel on London in 1940 and a plot to assassinate Churchill with a twist. Very Good and Recommended.

"The Cassandra Project" by Jack McDevitt and Mike Resnick. A Outstanding Sci-Fi novel on a NASA mystery. Neil Armstrong was not the first man on the Moon and the Watergate Break End was not about bugging the Democratic HQ. Very Highly Recommended.

"Ratlines" by Stuart Neville. A great suspense/mystery novel on Ireland's giving asylum to Nazi's such as Skorzeny. The hero is a Irishman who fought for the British in WWII along with a 100K other Irish. Highly Recommended. See link:   http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1538969/Ireland-welcomed-Hit...

"1356: A Novel" by Bernard Cornwell. The Battle of Poitiers in 1356 is another outstanding battle epic by Mr. Cornwell. This is on the Hundred Years War.  No one does "in your face" battle scenes that put you 'There' better than Mr. Cornwell. This is a belated continuation of his earlier trilogy on the Hundred Years War about the Holy Grail but this is on St. Peter's sword. Very Highly Recommended.

Read: "Legions of Rome:The Definitive History of Every Imperial Roman Legion" by Stephen Dando-Collins. Very good read on all the Roman Legions as known. This book covers recruiting, administration, training, weapons and of course battles. There are some errors by the author or he is using sources unknown to the majority of experts. Recommended.

"Extinction" by Mark Alpert. A suspense thriller on the Red Chinese government who create a AI that becomes sentient. It decides the humans are a threat to its existence; so proceeds to rid itself of them. Very Good and Recommended.

I am reading 'The Walls of Rome', another volume from the Osprey Fortress series right now. I am also reading Kobo Abe's 'Inter Ice Age 4'.

Welcome back. Long time no see.

Thank you Joseph, it has really been a while, hasn't it?

Yes, a year or more I think.

Read: Warfare in The Medieval World" by Brian Todd Carey. The book covers from Justinian to the early 16th Century with the coming of gunpowder weapons. Very good and highly Recommended. Very good battle maps included.

"A History of the Vandals" by Torsten Cumberland Jacobsen. A excellent history of the Vandals, the "bad boys" of the Late Roman Empire. Highly Recommended.

I'm reading a ton of books on the ACW:  Defend This Town, Seven Days Before Richmond, The Long Arm of Lee, Stand Firm Boys, etc.  However, for fun I'm reading the Destroyermen series.  Silly, but with enough historic naval flavor to be believable.

Read: "Jerusalem's Traitor: Josephus, Masada, and the Fall of Judea" by Desmond Seward. Covers the Jewish rebellion against Rome based mainly on Josephus's books. The author gives his appraisal of Josephus which was on the positive side. The main point is, without Josephus's writings, there would hardly be any history of what happen in Judea at this time. Very Good and Highly Recommended.

"The Ides: Caesar's Murder and the War for Rome" by Stephen Dando-Collins. The book starts with the preparation of the Murder, The Murder, and the aftermath of the Murder. Very Good and Highly Recommended.

Read: "Red Planet Blues" by Robert Sawyer. A SF Novel about a PI on Mars in the near future. Gold, silver, diamonds, etc have been synthesized; so worthless of any value. On Mars, pre-historic fossils have been discovered, that are worth millions. Instead of digging for gold or oil, people go to Mars to mine these fossils with the normal corruption included. Therefore a PI is needed to solve crimes. Very Good and Recommended.

"Trust Your Eyes" by Linwood Barclay. A mystery/suspense novel where a picture shows up on the internet where someone is murdered. This starts a search for what happen that leads to high places and powerful people who will do what is necessary to protect themselves. Hmmm, sounds like today's news on the Boston Marathon. Very Good and Highly Recommended.

Read: "Antony and Cleopatra" by Colleen McCullough. A excellent Historical novel on these two and their rival Octavian. Highly Recommended.

Just started reading SJA Turney's Marius' Mules V: Hell's Gate. It's the fifth (so far) novel following the adventures and travails of Fronto, Legate of Caesar's 10th Legion. The first in the series was good but the author really found his voice and started developing wider and more sweeping storylines beginning with the second novel. His story telling and writing have matured and it's been a pleasure to follow the arc. Unlike Bernard Cornwell, who I think has become terribly formulaic and basically just "mails it in," I think Turney is trying hard to keep each novel in the series fresh. Highly recommended.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Andy Loakes posted a status
"LYG's June Upadate is Complete. See what we have for you here: www.likeyyankgames.co.uk"
12 hours ago
Dan Geer posted a status
"I've been looking for a Vassal (something akin) module for Proud Monster Deluxe. Where can I find one? Thnaks"
yesterday
Nathan posted a video

Guide to Operation Overlord Wargames [D-Day, Normandy, 6 June 1944]

Guide to Operation Overloard Games [D-Day, Normandy, 6 June 1944]
yesterday
Eric Walters commented on Kid's photo
Thumbnail

Hue

"Really appreciate the annotations on the map, showing those historically significant locations!"
Thursday
Kid posted a photo

Hue

Part of Hue south-east-of the river. To use for the 'Sweep' actions of the US Marines capturing the…
Thursday
Eric Walters left a comment for Dan Geer
"Welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social Website, Dan.  I'm sure you've found the ASL group…"
Thursday
Dan Geer is now a member of ConsimWorld
Thursday
Eric Walters commented on Kid's photo
Thumbnail

ASL PTO 2

"All sorts of tactical possibilities on this board!  "
Thursday

Groups

Events

Members

CSW Related Links