I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 4977

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Read: "The Contest of Christian and Muslim Spain 1031-1157" by Bernard F. Reilly. At the beginning of this time period the muhammadans were on top in their occupation of Spain/Portugal. At the end, the Christians were in the drivers seat in taking back their lands. Portugal would split off from Leon-Castille to become a new Kingdom. Aragon had finally become a power to be reckoned with. The author covers the economic, military, Religious, Social, and Political changes by both sides that would lead to a Christian victory in spite of muhammadans reinforcements from North Africa. This would take to 1492. Very Good and Recommended.

Read; "The Succession to Muhammad: A Sturdy of the Early Caliphate" by Wilferd Madelung. This is a comprehensive and original study of the early history of muhammadanism. It covers the 30 years from the death of muhammad in 632A.D.. This is the period of the four 'Rightly Guided' caliphs, the civil wars that led to muhammadanism splitting into Sunnite and Shi'ite factions and the founding of the Umayyad caliphate. Later it split even further. Very Good and Recommended. Note: Can be very deep and dry.

"The Long Sunset" by Jack McDevitt. A SF novel on the Hutch Hutchins book series. The world is shutting down any space exploration to discover new worlds and Alien life out of fear it could lead "bad" aliens back to Earth.  A message is picked up from 7000 light years away and a mission with Hutch is sent to investigate. What Hutch and her crew find is totally unexpected. Just Okay.

I've recently started "A Hobbit, a Wardrobe, and a Great War" by Joseph Loconte.  It explores how WWI influenced both JRR Tolkien and CS Lewis in their choices of topics and worlds to describe.

Read: "Strange Music" by Alan Dean Foster. A Pip & Flinx SF novel. It has been awhile since the last Pip & Flinx book. Flinx is off on another adventure to a water world inhabited by sentient like-seal people. They communicate by singing to each other. This world has primitive tech but someone in violation of Commonwealth laws is importing advance weapon tech and stirring up a possible all out war among its people. Flinx is sent in undercover to find this individual and bring him/her back for justice. Very Good and Recommended.

Read: "Muslim Expansion and Byzantine Collapse in North Africa" by Walter E. Kaegi.This is a military history of the above. Who "lost" Christian North Africa? Who won it and how? The author tries to explain this in this book. Covers all the usual suspects. The muhammandan conquest was so though that no indigenous people are left as in the Middle East for example.  There are practically no written records by these peoples, therefore not a lot to explain this. The author speculates on the probabilities. Very Good and Recommended.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

CC Snyder posted a blog post

878 Vikings Strategy Guide Pt. 2: Playing the English

Academy Games Creative Director Gunter Eickert has put together the second part of his strategy…See More
20 hours ago
Dave Smith posted a photo

C&C:N

One of the games I'll be running at this year's Pacificon
yesterday
Dave Smith posted a blog post

"Borg Fest" 2018 at Pacificon

I'll be among the dozen or so gamers running Command and Colors games at this year's Pacificon in…See More
yesterday
PittHistoryGuy left a comment for PittHistoryGuy
"Thanks, Eric! Will do."
yesterday
Stephen Weiss left a comment for Eric Walters
"Thanks Eric! Yeah, can't wait for Stalingrad '42 and the next game in the Next War…"
yesterday
Eric Walters left a comment for PittHistoryGuy
"Welcome to the website!  You seem to be a Renaissance Man/Wargamer with a diverse set of…"
yesterday
Eric Walters left a comment for Stephen Weiss
"Stephen, welcome to the website!  You've got some eclectic tastes in games and they are…"
yesterday
Profile IconPittHistoryGuy and Stephen Weiss joined ConsimWorld
yesterday

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2018   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service