I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 4884

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Finally finished Battle for Spain and thought it was well done. Sort of concurrently read Homage to Catalonia, which I thought was excellent, especially since it gives you some perspective on Orwell and how it affected his later writings. Also read some of Hemingway's short stories for color ...

I picked up a bunch of Spanish Civil War books and the next will likely be the revised edition of Hugh Thomas's The Spanish Civil War.

I traded for a copy of Guerra Civil 1936 and am hoping Arturo finds someone to help him translate the cards into English. Have been corresponding with David Gomez Relloso about his upcoming Crusade and Revolution and will hopefully get in a game with him on Vassal.
I also knew NOTHING about the SCW so I picked up a copy of Peter Wyden's "The Passionate War" from my local library. What a cast of characters! It was like reading a novel.
Nothing too heavy at the moment.
Sci-Fi:
I started 1634: The Galileo Affair by Eric Flint and Andrew Dennis. I'm about 1/3 of the way through with it but it has not grabbed me as much as his first two novels of the series. I may not finish it.

WWII Historical Fiction:
I picked up Jeff Shaara's The Steel Wave from Sams Club about a week ago. I have not read his first book in the series The Rising Tide . I seen it in paperback at Walmart the other night but did not buy it as I'm not sure if I like his style of writing yet. His father's Killer Angels was one of my favorites though.

History:
Cannae 216 BC by Mark Healy from the Praeger Illustrated Military History Series. Finished this one last week after buying it at Half-Price Books along with a few other titles.

Rome's Northern Frontier AD 70-235, Nic Fields, Osprey Fortress Series. Half way through this one.

Troy c. 1700-1250 BC, Nic Fields, Osprey Fortress Series. Not started yet.

These last two I just bought today from Half-Price Books.

Rome and Her Enemies: An Empire created and Destroyed by War, Jane Penrose editor, Osprey

Hannibal: Enemy of Rome, Leonard Cottrell. Just started this one tonight.
Essentials of Comparative Politics, by Patrick H. O'Neill. It's an introductory textbook that I'm using for my comparative politics class this fall, and I'd like to be more than one chapter ahead of my students.
I'm reading Road to Stalingrad by John Erickson.
I'm currently reading "With the Old Breed - At Peleliu and Okinawa" by E.B.Sledge who served as a Marines infantryman in both campaigns. It's an incredible and really tough personal account of the Pacific war in all its brutality. 100% recommended.
Out of the blue, a friend had recommended this a few years back. I was sceptical but upon finishing it, I was moved. A powerful account and a testament to the human spirit.
Just started Pressfield's KILLING ROMMEL. I haven't read any of his previous books so I'm a little late to the dance. Just finished Massie's NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA. I'm a big Massie fan. Makes all of this period very clear--not easy with all of the Russian names.
I'm a huge Massie fan too, and read Peter the Great while I was developing The Great Northern War for TPS. Also, Dreadnought is superb, and so is Castles of Steel.
I've read Pressfield's Gates of Fire (awesome read), and I am about to start Virtues of War. Great author.
We just picked up a copy of Infantry Tactics of the Second World War by Stephen Bull & Gordon L. Rottman. Looks very informative. It is going on the top of my books-to-read-next pile unless my hubby beats me to it.
I recently finished Prince Charming by Julie Garwood and have Antarctica by Kim Stanley Robinson on my next to be read list, but it will have to wait until I finish Borodino, unless of course I squeeze in a scenario of Devil’s Horsemen or SPRQ in first….

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Nathan posted videos
yesterday
Magnus Kimura commented on Magnus Kimura's group B-26: The Marauder Strikes!
yesterday
John Howard posted an event

Crown City Con at Cortland, NY

September 22, 2018 at 8am to September 23, 2018 at 4pm
Crown City Con is an annual tabletop gaming convention in the heart of Central NY. Whether it’s…See More
yesterday
Nathan posted a video

Waterloo - 1:40pm - Marcognet's III Division drives the Dutch-Belgians back!

La Bataille de Mont Saint Jean [Clash of Arms games, 1993] Waterloo - 1:40pm - Marcognet's III Division drives the Dutch-Belgians back!
Tuesday
Steve K commented on Steve K's blog post Games I'm Playing 2018
"Bannavento 60 A.D. from Warrior Queen. The Britons attack."
Tuesday
Steve K commented on Steve K's blog post Games I'm Playing 2018
Tuesday
Nathan posted videos
May 19
Profile IconJames R Arnold, Robert Schoolfield and Vincent 'TJ' Taijeron joined ConsimWorld
May 19

Groups

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2018   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service