I was at Borders a few nights ago and I picked up 'Warhammer 40,000: The Killing Ground', 'The Art of Clint Langley: Dark Visions from the grim Worlds of Warhammer', 'The Army of Flanders and the Spanish Road: 1567-1659' by Geoffrey Parker, 'Forgotten Wars: The End of Britain's Asian Empire' by Christopher Bayly and Tim Harper and 'The grand Strategy of Philip II' by Geoffrey Parker.

I finished 'The Lover' by Marguerite Duras a few days back. I have just started on 'Battles of the Thirty Years War: From White Mountain to Nordlingen 1618-1635'. I am also in the midst of a few other books including 'God is not great: How religion poisons the world' by Christopher Hitchens.

What you are guys reading?

Views: 5752

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Read: "Manuscript 512" by Rick Chesler. A novel on a crooked American Historian, Dr. Winslow, who steals "Manuscript 512" from a Brazilian museum. This manuscript holds the key to finding the lost city of "Z" in the Amazon jungle. The Brazilian police are after him as Dr,. Winslow goes deep into the Amazon to seek the treasure of a thousand lifetimes. Or maybe its "best laid plans..". Very Good and Recommended.

"The Komnene Dynasty:Byzantium's Struggle for Survival 1057-1185" by John Car. After the fall of Anatolia to the muhammadans, invasions by nomadic tribes across the Danube, and the Norman invasion of Greece, things look very bleak for the Roman Empire of the East. Then came the Crusaders from the West to fight the muhammadans' crusaders. Poor Byzantium is in the middle. The Komnene Dynasty managed to save the Empire from total collapse.  This is the history of that struggle. Very Good and Recommended.

Read: "The Tanks of Tammuz" by Shabtai Teveth. This is the story of the Israeli Armored Corps in the 6 Day War of 1967. This victory over the muhammadans astonished the world. The author was a reporter attached to General Tal's armored division in the Sinai.The play-by-play is very engrossing and covers not only the Sinai but the Golan Heights. Very Good and Recommended.

"Duel for the Golan: The 100-hour Battle that Saved Israel" by Jerry Asher with Eric Hammel. It is the first Saturday in October 1973 and Yom Kippur. The muhammadans launched a surprise attack against Israel from Syria and Egypt. This is the life and death struggle on the Golan Heights where Israelis' crushed this attack and saved themselves from extinction, again. The heroism, smarts, boldness, and "never give up" attitude of Israel and its people is a Light unto the world at large. This book is a roller-coaster of a ride. Outstanding and my utmost admiration for the Nation of Israel. A must read.

Read: " The Hole: Hard Science Fiction" by Brandon Q. Morris. A mysterious object is heading on a collision course with the Sun. The earth and mankind are at risk. Nobody believes a young astrophysicist. At the same time a group of outcasts are mining an asteroid near where the object will pass. They may be the only ones that can save the Earth. The author has 20 pages of Hard Science to explain his "hole" which could happen some day. Excellent and Highly Recommended. 

"Tiamat's Wrath" by James S. A. Corey. The 8th book in the SF Expanse series. One more book to go?. A new god-king has taken over humanity while at the same time he has decided to take on a "Alien God" of billions of years old that destroyed the previous Alien rulers of the galaxy. Talk about Stupid, but makes for a great story and a roller coaster ride. Now I have to wait another year for the 9th book to see what happens. Outstanding and Highly Recommended.

Read: "Patricians and Emperors: The Last Rulers of the Western Roman Empire" by Ian Hughes. This book gives the bios of the elites that welded power in the final decades of the Western Roman Empire from the assassination of Aetius, the Last Roman, in 454AD to the death of Julius Nepos in 480AD. Very Good and Recommended. 

"The Elamite World" ed. by Javier Alvarez-Mon, Gian Basello, and Yasmina Wicks. A new book with the latest info on the land of Elam which existed in Southwest Iran from about 3200BC to mid 500's BC. Just OK.

Currently Now It Can Be Told by Phillip Gibbs.

Read: Islam at the Gates: How Christendom Defeated the Ottoman Turks" by Diane Moczar. A overview of the military campaigns by the muhammadan Ottomans to conquer Europe and how the Europeans stopped them. Very Good and Recommended.

"Mohammed's Koran: Why Muslims Kill for Islam" by Peter Mclaughlin and Tommy Robinson. A brilliant expose and Most Highly Recommended.

Read: " Slavery, Terrorism and Islam" by Peter Hammond. A fascinating read and thoroughly documented response to the anti-Christian propaganda by muhammadans, marxists, and Hollywood film makers. As Karl Marx said " The first battle is the re-writing of history". The book covers the 1400 years of islam up to now on muhammadan slavery and terrorism all over the world. Most highly recommended.

"Crossing Suez, 1973: A New Point of View" by Amiram Ezov. Covers all the problems with the crossing of the Suez Canal in 1973 only. This includes the different bridges with their problems, internal arguments within the Israeli High Command, fighting at the Chinese Farm, and the muhammadans' response. Very Good and Recommended.

"Byzantium and The Crusades" by Jonathan Harris. A history of Western contacts with Byzantium that grew into animosity that would end up being a "Clash of Civilizations'. It would bring about the fall of Constantinople to the 4th Crusade and the end of Byzantium's dominance in the Eastern Med. Very Good and Recommended.

Read:" Siege of Acre, 1189-1191:Saladin, Richard the Lionheart, and the Battle That Decided the Third Crusade" by John D. Hosler. The two year struggle where both sides had opportunities to win but did not follow through. The author shows Saladin as a mediocre to average commander while the various Christian leaders, until Richard arrived, were about the same. Richard was the best leader of any side but had the luck to arrive late to enjoy the victory that others had prepared for him.   Very Good and Recommended.

"Heroes & Villains: Inside the Minds of the Greatest Warriors in History" by Frank McLynn. In military history an elite group of men have attained legendary status as a result of  their courage, ambition, and military genius. This book is a psychological and cultural analysis of six men: Spartacus, Attila the Hun, Richard the Lioneart, Cortes, Tokugawa Ieyasu, and Napoleon. It probes their personal character flaws, and some were biggies, and how they overcame the problems, or not, to achieve greatness. I, myself, would of picked different individuals, but this is an excellent analysis of these six Generals/Leaders. Highly Recommended.

The British Are Coming and Sand and steel

Read: "Mortal Prey" by John Sanford. A Lucas Davenport novel. Lucas re-bonds with an old nemesis, a mob hit woman of great talent, Clara Rinker.. She almost killed him years ago but Lucas gets a second bite of the apple. She has been retired in Mexico but some old mob buds try to kill her. Bad move. She returns to America for vengeance, especially since her boyfriend was killed instead. The FBI wants Lucas's help. Very Good and Recommended.

"Naked Prey" by John Sanford. Another Lucas Davenport novel. Hanging naked from a tree in the woods are two bodies; a black man and a white woman. Not good. Is this a ole time "lynching"? Lucas is put on the trail by the governor of Minnesota to solve this "problem". The gov wants to be president some day. Looks can be deceiving, there is much more going on and worse to come. Very Good and Recommended. 

Read: "Hidden Prey" by John Sanford. A Lucas Davenport novel on a Russian getting murdered in Duluth, Min. with 50 year old bullets. It turns out he has big connections back in Russia. A woman Russian cop is sent to work with Lucas to see what is up. They turn up old history of Soviet spy's of past times. Very Good and Recommended.

"Road of Bones: The Siege of Kohima 1944-The Epic Story of the Last Great Stand of Empire" by Fergal Keane. The title pretty well tells it all. A small village in India near the Burmese border is besieged by a Japanese Division. The garrison is held by a tiny force of Brits and Indians of the British 14th Army. Outnumbered 10-1 they hold till relieved. The fighting is of the most savage in modern warfare.   Excellent and Highly Recommended. 

Just started “On to Berlin” by Gen Gavin. Starts off as a very good read.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Eric Walters left a comment for Keith Powell
"You might want to check out the Revolution Games group and the All things SPI Group, for starters!"
18 hours ago
Eric Walters left a comment for Keith Powell
"Welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social Website, Keith!  You do like some golden oldie games; I have…"
18 hours ago
Keith Powell is now a member of ConsimWorld
18 hours ago
Eric Walters left a comment for Christopher A. Lawrence
"Welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social Website!  Am pretty sure you are the same Christopher A.…"
yesterday
Manuel P. Ron is now friends with Jeff Fisher and ron brooks
yesterday
Jeff Fisher posted a status
"Here is a screen shot from way back when... http://social.consimworld.com/profiles/blogs/2011369:BlogPost:29825"
Thursday
"Yep, I wrote them both and seem to have lost everything having to do with the newer and updated program "GTL Editor"..."
Thursday
"Everyone, I'm looking for some help. Need a copy of "GTL Editor" which I wrote back in the late 2000... Not "GTL Text Editor" Thanks"
Thursday

Groups

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2019   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service