Over the years I've talked with a couple of wargamers who homeschooled their kids, and used wargames for teaching history. Are there any homeschoolers here who similarly use their games? Even if not, what are your thoughts on the applicability of wargames to a homeschooling program?

Views: 30

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jim, there's a mini-con outside of western St Louis that's focusing a large amount of time and effort of approaching the use of wargames in a home schooling curriculum: http://social.consimworld.com/group/heartlandwargamers/forum/topic/...
Chris, well speak of the Devil!

Yes, Jim, we use wargames in our homeschool program, and it works well. One I remember in particular was the Perry Moore Spanish Civil War series games from the early 200's S&T's. Talk about a boring subject for a kid - but we played the games and I think he got a lot of depth out of the experience.

Another thing we used to do, but I've let my subscription lapse, is to pull articles from Magweb and read them to the kids.

The mini-con Chris mentioned is one I am putting on. I'm getting ready to send the first email blast to 170+ families in the area and see if we can get a class of homeschool kids to come for our wargame class (which Chris is going to teach)

(By the way Chris, check your mail for a couple of questions from me)
Guys,
Thanks for responding. It seems that wargames would be excellent tools in a small, intimate class setting, and what could be more intimate than a family homeschool situation? I do have one friend who used Napoleon's Last Battles to teach his daughters about fifteen years ago, when they were pre-teens, giving them a jump on the public and even prep school kids; how many thirteen-year-olds outside of wargaming know anything about Napoleon besides his name and maybe a Garmin commercial? Yet his daughters had an elementary grasp of the era at a very early age.
AH's "Republic of Rome" has been used in classrooms across the country; it's best with 5 players, though. For a 1 vs 1 I'd recommend WEG's "Imperium Romanum II": its long list of scenarios is a pretty good timeline/borderline for the Roman Empire. F2
I'm a junior high teacher and so in my book, The Games of War: A Treasury of Rules for Battles with Toy Soldiers, Ships, and Planes, I have a section about using some of the rules sets (there are 39 in the book) in history labs, with some sample labs. I used them in my social studies classes and I know of a teacher in Naperville who's used them in his high school military history class. You can check it out at Amazon.com. Hope that helps.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Keith Bockus updated their profile
12 hours ago
Tim Korchnoi is now a member of ConsimWorld
20 hours ago
John Garrett is now a member of ConsimWorld
Monday
Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Read: "The Praetorian Guard: A History of Rome's Elite Special Forces" by Sandra…"
Oct 13
Eric Walters left a comment for PAUL BRETT
"Welcome, Paul, to the CONSIMWORLD Website!  Hope you find all things Waterloo here.  If…"
Oct 11
PAUL BRETT is now a member of ConsimWorld
Oct 9
Gian Carlo Ceccoli posted a blog post

Aegean Strike

Ieri sera, seconda sessione dedicata al titolo Aegean strike - Victory Games; titolo datato ma…See More
Oct 5
Gian Carlo Ceccoli added a discussion to the group A.S.G.S.
Thumbnail

SMGC 2019

Entro Ottobre, le prime anticipazioni sull'evento clou della ASGS!!!!See More
Oct 5

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2018   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service