We're infected by this noxious breed once again. I find it very frustrating, because I'm fresh out of bullets and I don't want to go to Nigeria anyway.

Of the last few episodes, there is one thing that I've noticed that might be a warning that a spammer infestation is imminent. First, you see a new member, who fits a certain profile. They're usually billed as female, though I doubt that, often from either Senagal or New York City. There might be a pic, and it might be either an attractive young female, or something like flowers.

The profile is populated with dreck. Lately it's been "i will tall you later" (sic) or "i will tell you later," pasted repeatedly. A couple of times, the person's favorite game was Tekken. Usually though, it's nonsense.

The first profile doesn't post anything, either comments or blogs, and doesn't send messages. It's pretty quiet for a few days.

Then comes a second profile, similar to the first, but not identical. That one is the severe irritant, sending lots of come-hither messages and comments. One can view the first profile as a recon unit, and the second as the main force of invaders.

At present, our recon unit is called rosemary, and the spewer of spam comments is princess.

That's the latest trend. We have seen people who just put up advertising profiles, with conspicuously self-promoting blogs. Those are easy to avoid, and don't overpopulate the site with their cybernetic crap.

The newer version is a little pernicious. However, I believe that the problem can be addressed more easily than it appears. Here's how.

Frequent participants should keep an eye on the list of new members. I do this all the time, usually to say "Welcome." But if you see a new profile that fits the general description of a spam recon, alert John Kranz of its appearance. That way it can be examined early. Then everyone's eyes should be open for the second wave of spam, so it and the offending profile can be deleted as soon as possible.

What say you?

Views: 36

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Counter-Spam.

We are a collection of wargamers, RIGHT ... So we get the IP of the website the guy wants us to go to, send in a recon to make sure it does not auto-load a virus on site hits, then we cluster-F his site with a DOS attack.
Looks like another recon. Sorry if this one's already spotted:

"Jen Thomas" - I can't see the graphics behind the firewall here, so I don't know if that part fits the profile.

http://social.consimworld.com/profile/JenThomas?xg_source=profiles_...
Jen:

You look at her profile and she has one person on it as a friend. You click on their profile and they seem perhaps legit and go to their friend who is legit....

Odd.

Smitty
I, on the other hand, am a figment of a dog's imagination, and only want to sell you realistic Rolex watches and drugs from my purely fictional Canadian pharmacy and Mexican meth lab.
I know for a fact Jim is an urban legend - I saw it with my own eyes...

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Greg Blanchett updated their profile
5 hours ago
Jeffrey Mayer posted a photo

15mm Panzer B2s

3d prints
14 hours ago
Wayne Rotella posted a status
"GMT just charged for Holland '44! Wouldn't it be great to get before Sep 17th? This my be the most excited I have been about a game!"
yesterday
Kim Kanger posted a blog post
Wednesday
Matt Eland posted a blog post

Learning of my Grandfathers through Wargaming

Hey all. Just heard of you all, and appreciative of the add.I'm not a huge wargamer, though I used…See More
Wednesday
Matt Eland is now a member of ConsimWorld
Wednesday
Joseph replied to John Kranz's discussion What are you playing?
"Played: "Spheres of Influence" by Little Nuke Games and "Wings for the Baron"…"
Tuesday
BoardTactical joined Kim Meints's group
Thumbnail

All Things GMT

We have groups for different GMT titles.So why not a group to discuss everything about the…See More
Tuesday

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2017   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service