Effectiveness of the hull ball-mounted MG and the co-axial MG

How effective is the hull ball-mount machine guns and co-axial machine guns of a tank?

Besides self-defence, are these effective anti-infantry tools?

Views: 175

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The coax is very effective. The .50 cal on the M1 is very lethal not only in terms of killing effect but in terms of sheer suppression and terror.
The co-axial does kill then and not merely suppress?

I don't dispute the effectiveness of the pintle-mounted MG. What of the hull-MGs? It seems to be a common feature in tanks in the Second World War but it has practically disappeared today.
Boresighting - I don't know how they boresighted in WW II for mg's - Tony?
Stumbled on this... But wasn't one of the key weaknesses of the Ferdinand the lack of a bow gun (keep the "flys" way).

The Merkava has several hull MG's cause in an urban environment they are very effective - maybe the lack of a bow gun in the M1 is a Cold War remnant and is a now a design "flaw" for the asymetric warfare environment (gotta like big words) .

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Eric Walters added a discussion to the group Marine Maneuver Warfare Wargamers
Thumbnail

Wargaming with Marines -- Georgetown University Wargaming Society

Sponsored by Adjunct Associate Professor and RAND defense analyst Sebastian Bae (himself an avid…See More
3 hours ago
Eric Walters left a comment for Tim kutta
"Tim, welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social Website!  I too have some palpable nostalgia for those…"
4 hours ago
Tim kutta is now a member of ConsimWorld
4 hours ago
Eric Walters and Jason Henke are now friends
4 hours ago
Nathan and Eric Walters are now friends
yesterday
michael ring posted a status
"Eric we have been posting updates in the forum,the new rules have been posted,although there has been some additions to the posted version."
yesterday
Eric Walters left a comment for michael ring
"I'm very happy to hear that and am on the fence whether to pre-order it given that I still…"
yesterday
Eric Walters left a comment for Gerard Burton
"Gerard, welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social Website!  I'm sure you'll discover the…"
yesterday

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

© 2020   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service