Games that Failed or are Failing your expectations

Always a nice subjective topic.

I was thinking that sometimes a game can be great for many, and then lead to disappointment for a few from over heightened expectations. Or a game can end up being way better than we expected.

While CSW is often the reality check, sometimes too far the other way for my liking, sometimes we just go buy that game, open it and are full of subjective "MEH" to coin then internet shoulder shrug.

Some highlights from early 2013.

• RAF, wow this one just was a crushing disappointment. Why? You have so few choices to make that it becomes a wrote exercise. I promise to try again, to find the noble spirit of August/Sept '41.
  • Drive on Pyongyang...I deserved this for buying at pre pub prices. Not finished. regurgitated from a axis of evil concept 10 yrs ago to take advantage of current events. Map errors, and incorrect VC' and terrible map layout took anything positive from this game (and there is a lot of great ideas in this game) and tossed them out the window
  • Wagram Battles mag....OMG. After 2 turns. I looked at the turn track, then back to the stack of chits per turn. Then at the counters. quietly decided that I clearly was not an erudite student of Napoleon and that I should just let this be a lesson. I'm not smart enough to appreciate this game.
  • White Star Rising Great game, but I really am at quota for WWII. great components and cool scenarios with easy rules. Yet I play WaW a lot, its much deadlier cousin. I'll stick to that.
  • PanzerArmee Afrika AH. Yeah an older game. After a few turns of this, the level of abstraction was so high for me that I realized that DAK2 was laughing its ass of at me literally behind my back. Bought for cheap, its a game that would make a nice starting point in assessing the evolution of game design in the theatre. To see just how thinking evolved around this logistically laden, leader focused conflict played out in various games. I was not expecting much...and received less.

Views: 1018

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just remember, Kevin, that before PANZERARMEE AFRIKA all we really had was AH's venerable AFRIKA KORPS.  I can't play either of them today, despite strong pulls of nostalgia.  For "small" games on this theater, I just go for ROMMEL IN THE DESERT.  Can't help it.

Oh man I so understand. I was really trying get my head around some early design. It did not help that I had dak2 on the table behind me, giggling at my futility.

I was hoping to play several afrika titles and compare and contrast. After all I'm still a boy gamer amongst u veterans.

Some updates... A Most Dangerous Time.

Grrr. I will best this game.

Strike North from Command Games was meh (historical scenario)

I'm fearful that Panzer 2nd Ed. may end up being a bust. I like it...but...I'm not 100% sure. Really want it to be all that and a bag of chips!

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Michael Kirkwood is now a member of ConsimWorld
yesterday
Profile IconReg Plummer and Joseph Sterphone joined ConsimWorld
Friday
RAJ commented on Andreas Ludwig's group Fire in the Sky
"Hi All! There will be new edition of FitS prepared by Phalanx. There is plan to add new scenarios…"
Wednesday
RAJ joined Andreas Ludwig's group
Thumbnail

Fire in the Sky

Your thoughts and strategies for winning the war in the Pacific.
Wednesday
Magnus Kimura commented on Magnus Kimura's page Play-Test Mission Reports in the group B-26: The Marauder Strikes!
Thumbnail
"B-25 AAR #1! Here is a another great, amazing AAR by Rick, now testing the B-25. Read it all over…"
Tuesday
Joseph replied to John Kranz's discussion What are you playing?
"Played: "Venetia" by Passport Game Studios. A Euro game on the rise and fall of Venice.…"
Sep 18
Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Read: "Septimius Severus in Scotland: The Northern Campaigns of the First Hammer of the…"
Sep 18

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2018   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service