I was commenting on a post in Enricos blog. It struck me...."How does that dude learn SO many games so well and so fast!"

So - dear exiles, Social members and players, how do you learn a new game?

Do you have a process?

I typically do the following:

• read designer notes.
  • look at counters and maps and Victory Conditions.
  • d.load any and all cheat sheets I can find.
  • Read rules questions and CSW folder. looking for 1st timer questions.
  • read core rules making notes in margins. "." key rules and exceptions.
  • Sometimes- grab a scenario, walk thru a turn or two, very slowly usually rules referencing and marking up rules extensively.
  • Re read the rules.
  • Ask annoying questions on CSW and BGG.
  • Play campaign (or equivalent) correct and adjust along the way. Reset upon hard, or game changer errors.

My theory is I shall likely only ever get to a campaign once or a full game once. so get it right as much as possible the first time. I desire more games that allow you to focus on strategy and tactics and less on rules compliance.

What do you do?

Views: 170

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I skim the rules, and more or less fake it (which is pretty damned obvious if you see all the mistakes).

Strong case numbering, cross references,  and a good index, are very very valuable to picking something up during play.

Examples, especially extended ones, do me very little.

I've broken down and really tried to 'solve' some games (Empires in Arms, AWE ones) which

had some pretty big open questions - running as far as having an extended conversation with

one of the designers of La Grande Guerre to get questions answered (I believe it's still up at

web-Grognards) since I was an early adopter of the game.

I read the rules completely.  Next, I play the game.  Then I read the rules again and play it a second time (correcting all the rules mistakes I made in the first game).  On a game of medium complexity or higher, it's nearly impossible to get everything right "The first time".  Hence, reading the rules again after finishing the first game.

This is actually helpful for me. I am always "worried" about making mistakes. The reality is I should be comfortable with the mistakes and learn from them. Thanks for the perspective/tip David.

No problem!

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Keith Bockus updated their profile
yesterday
Tim Korchnoi is now a member of ConsimWorld
yesterday
John Garrett is now a member of ConsimWorld
Monday
Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Read: "The Praetorian Guard: A History of Rome's Elite Special Forces" by Sandra…"
Oct 13
Eric Walters left a comment for PAUL BRETT
"Welcome, Paul, to the CONSIMWORLD Website!  Hope you find all things Waterloo here.  If…"
Oct 11
PAUL BRETT is now a member of ConsimWorld
Oct 9
Gian Carlo Ceccoli posted a blog post

Aegean Strike

Ieri sera, seconda sessione dedicata al titolo Aegean strike - Victory Games; titolo datato ma…See More
Oct 5
Gian Carlo Ceccoli added a discussion to the group A.S.G.S.
Thumbnail

SMGC 2019

Entro Ottobre, le prime anticipazioni sull'evento clou della ASGS!!!!See More
Oct 5

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2018   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service