Hi there, I thought a thread on titles of books AND Internet based resources might be useful here.

I have two immediate requests. I'll pop them up by, Era/Conflict/Title (?) will that work?

Views: 334

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Musket & Pike Period/ 30 Years War / SiA.

Does anyone have a reasonable reference for this period? Ideally an internet resource in the first instance?

Looking for Big Picture and then Battle overviews and tactics of the time. (Yes I have the Wiki based stuff).

Saints in Armor.

WWII-North Africa/Bir Hacheim/NQoS

Any thing here would be good.

ummm Roger ---No question of Surrender ;)

Cheers Mark!

I did thanks for that. Got the Wilson book. Was unable to track the Wedgwood.

As for NAfrica, I recently read The Battle for North Africa by John Strawson. 1969. Which led me to Desert Generals by Kimber. Wavell Portriat of a soldier is another old book, I dont have it but I think it might cover the period you want.

Wedgwood- it is basically the standard in English language on TYW - I doubt it is available online for free but it was first published in (iirc) 1938.  You should be able to find it on the secondary market if you want to chance having a marked up copy.

Pretty much anything on the TYW in English subsequent to this one references it - but ... and this is the kicker, the 2 copies I have seen only have 2 very broad maps -Wilson's comes with a lot of maps (battle maps).

The books at the AWM are pretty decent sources for North Africa- particularly Operation Compass -since the 6th Australian was the infantry component of the operation after the 4th Indian was sent to the East African theater.  Meaning that the 4th Ind was involved in the initial battles for the forts in early Dec 1940, but the Australian 6th did the heavy lifting from January 1941 starting at Bardia and the pursuit through Cyrenaica.  The title covering this period is 'To Benghazi' by Gavin Long (and it also covers the pre-Australian period as well.). You can download it for free off the Australian War Memorial site (although I found the individual pdf files per chapter).

There are several Ospreys relevant to the period but only one specifically on a battle- and that one would be Luetzen.

Thanks steve. Mark was looking for some stuff. I think he was happy ot buy if possible. I now have more than I need! ;)

I found this after sending off that email ...

http://history.wisc.edu/mosse/george_mosse/summaries/history119_lec...

Try this (no need to iTunes -although it is available there as well).

While Playing a bit of CV, I came across the Admirals! Interesting read.- Walter Borneman.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Keith Bockus updated their profile
12 hours ago
Tim Korchnoi is now a member of ConsimWorld
20 hours ago
John Garrett is now a member of ConsimWorld
Monday
Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Read: "The Praetorian Guard: A History of Rome's Elite Special Forces" by Sandra…"
Oct 13
Eric Walters left a comment for PAUL BRETT
"Welcome, Paul, to the CONSIMWORLD Website!  Hope you find all things Waterloo here.  If…"
Oct 11
PAUL BRETT is now a member of ConsimWorld
Oct 9
Gian Carlo Ceccoli posted a blog post

Aegean Strike

Ieri sera, seconda sessione dedicata al titolo Aegean strike - Victory Games; titolo datato ma…See More
Oct 5
Gian Carlo Ceccoli added a discussion to the group A.S.G.S.
Thumbnail

SMGC 2019

Entro Ottobre, le prime anticipazioni sull'evento clou della ASGS!!!!See More
Oct 5

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2018   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service