You knew it as soon as you got halfway through the game--this thing is a "dog" and you never wanted to play it again. For me, my first one was Avalon Hill's KRIEGSPIEL. It was a traumatic experience for a teenager brought up on the glories of PANZERBLITZ and PANZERLEADER...how could a wargame company do this to me? But there were more to come....

Which ones are yours? Why?

Views: 434

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OIL WAR was the least objectionable out of that last list. PLOT TO ASSASSINATE HITLER could have worked, maybe. One had to get over the serious abstraction in that game to like it. DIXIE? Please! Yeah, I wasn't a fan of RAID! either. Or RAPID DEPLOYMENT FORCE in the TSR version of STRATEGY AND TACTICS. ARMADA was terrible; SIEGE OF CONSTANTINOPLE, even with the naval variant provided in MOVES magazine put one to sleep, and SOUTH AFRICA just was a cipher. COMBINED ARMS did nothing for me, but then again, neither did TANK! or LOST BATTLES.
Plot to Assassinate Hitler is really a great game. I'm not sure why the negative press. Good to play after watching Valkyrie. :)
Kind of interesting to see how games some folks hate others really like. I'd guess that the game designer might say something like "you'd like it better if you played it enough times to understand what the game was actually trying to accomplish," or something similar. Even FGA has its advocates. Maybe there's some merit to that. Or, maybe not.
Well, I liked the premise to PLOT TO ASSASSINATE HITLER and enough of us liked the game concept that a parody of the game was designed in high school around me, the then-President of the Strategic Games Club. The map was based on a floor map of the school which took a lot of the abstraction out of it. Of course, it was very tongue-in-cheek. There was even an unpublished article done on it. No, my problem with PTAH was that I never got to the "it's a really great game" part of it because it simply seemed too abstract, particularly from a spatial perspective. So we played it few times and then it went up on the shelf to gather dust. Perhaps if it had been done as a point to point game instead of using hexes. Even better, make a muliti-player game where players do not represent a particular faction (SS, Abwehr, etc), but maneuver personalities and can have several belonging to different factions. So long as your guys win (whatever side they are on), you win. Which side ends up winning (Nazis or plotters) is but a backdrop. Something like RUSSIAN CIVIL WAR but involving more players. Bet Joe Miranda could redesign this game, retitle it VALKYRIE, and make something of it!
I played it a few times about thirty years ago, and I didn't hate it at all. If you were thinking in terms of a Waterloo, Gettysburg, or linear Eastern Front context, it was weird beyond words. But if one accepted it as something akin to a Nazi gang war, something easy to do after seeing The Warriors for the third time, then it made some sense. My friends and I treated it as something like a Nazi gang war for turf in Berlin, and by that standard it was fun.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Tom Marshall joined Mitchell Land's group
Thumbnail

Downtown/Elusive Victory

For discussion of the operational air war system as represented in Downtown and Elusive Victory.
6 hours ago
Steve Penn joined Jim Werbaneth's group
Thumbnail

Professional Educators

This group is for educators of all levels, whether or not they use wargames in the classroom. You…See More
15 hours ago
Jim Werbaneth posted a blog post

Line of Depature Issue 80 in Production

The eightieth issue of Line of Departure is being printed right now.  The lead review is of Javier…See More
18 hours ago
Jim Werbaneth commented on John Kranz's blog post CSW Forum is Down
"I blame North Korea."
18 hours ago
Robert Ryan joined Eric Walters's group
Thumbnail

Marine Maneuver Warfare Wargamers

A group devoted to studying and practicing Marine Corps maneuver warfare doctrine through…See More
yesterday
Markm1767 commented on Markm1767's photo
Thumbnail

ced2

"Played Cedar Mountain - Union had great luck at the start and barely lost towards the end. Getting…"
yesterday
Markm1767 posted photos
yesterday
Jeff Twining posted a status
"Oops..."
yesterday

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2017   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service