Lately I've been collecting a lot of games from the first "golden age" of wargaming... the 70s.  I was wondering which game people think is the most underrated game of that period?

Views: 672

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dixie? Just kidding (although I still play this one once in a blue moon - must be the attraction of Confederate armored brigades!). I've heard people claim that The Plot to Assassinate Hitler didn't deserve its bad press, but I must confess I could never get into the game when it was released...

Excellent suggestions and I have them both in my collection. Dixie had some interesting innovations, though maybe wasted on the game itself. (It was kind of a wacky idea, but THAT was the 70s!) And I agree on the Plot, too.

Thanks for the feedback.

Dave

Can't say I'm thrilled with Plot. 

A lot of people despised Armada. I thought it was a damned fine light game on a subject that no one was touching.

Siege of Constantinople also got bad press, and I thought it was quite good.

I agree on both counts. Armada (with errata) does an excellent job at simulating the situation.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who liked Armada and Siege of Constantinople. I thought I was amongst the lunatic fringe with those titles. If Enrinco enjoyed them, I don't feel so bad! One of the main reasons I liked SPI over Avalon Hill was that they were making games on subjects off the beaten path. I can't speak for anyone else, but I have two copies of The Punic Wars and still enjoy playing the game - particularly the First Punic War (Hannibal and Scipio be damned!).

The 70's restriction kills one of the most innovative SPI games of all times - Tito.

Only one year off, but it showed the kind of excellent ideas that just ended up panned by most S&T readers.

If it wasn't the traditional WWII stuff, people weren't happy.

Air Assault On Crete (Avalon Hill) -- even without the mini-game Invasion of Malta.  Most people preferred the latter, but not I.  This game was a real nail biter and was much better than anything else on the subject. Still is, even over three and half decades later.  

I understand that it was a pretty good game, though the box art was a bit off setting. Thanks forthw suggestion.

'Battlefleet Mars' was a guilty pleasure..my 'historical' gaming friends of the time didn't approve

That's a game I have not played enough times. Picked it up late (90's?) and it really impressed me.

The tactical space combat component was a real mind bender for me..it required two maps and two counters for each individual unit to be represented in 3D space..luckily it's not essential to play and I discarded it early on..

I don't think it added much. The cool part was the moving planets.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Chris Easter left a comment for Charlie Parsons
"Hey Charlie! I have you down for attending Savannah Skirmish Oct 27-29.  Is that still…"
yesterday
Profile IconLes Swanson and Grant Laing joined ConsimWorld
yesterday
Dave Smith posted a blog post

Wargaming Scene in Eugene, other spots in Oregon

As my wife and I discuss retirement, we have considered returning to her roots in Oregon.How much…See More
Monday
Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Read; "The Sacred Band of Thebes And Other Stuff" by C. Hilbert. A history of this elite…"
Sunday
GENE SHAW posted a discussion

Moving on...to Oregon

In Feb. 2018,  I will be relocating permanently to the Dune City/Florence, Oregon area and I am…See More
Sunday
Profile IconJason M Kruse and Tom Bierschenk joined ConsimWorld
Saturday
Sergio F posted a video
Friday
GENE SHAW posted a discussion

Vaipa variants for Up Front wanted

Need assistance in obtaining Mike Sanches's Vaipa variants for Up Front,  in particular Volume #3…See More
Friday

Groups

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2017   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service