Since I fit right in with the age group of long time wargamers I see it only fit to ask the question: Are you a traditional board gamer or, since Vassal arrived, do you prefer that?

Now I find Vassal a great tool when time and space is required.

I was just curious if there are those of us out there who still break out pencil and paper, or graph paper?

Views: 364

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have to agree also. For me, there's nothing better than the feel of placing and moving counters, sifting through the rules, and rolling the dice. But you're right, large-scale boards, maps, and 10K pieces are best suited for Vassal. So I'm curious how my experience with that program will be when I start this GS WWIII adventure I have planned.

agree with the others here.  part of the appeal of a physical board game vs even a computer wargame is the board and pieces.  not being able to see the entire board at once is a huge detriment to vassal games vs physcal games.  but vassal is great to get an opponent you would not otherwise have access to

Wargaming is a social activity. Vassal is too awkward to replace that - but new tools for tablet computers eventually will provide a viable alternative.

Vassal for me is not a replacement but a complimentary option.  Particularly valuable when f2f isn't practical (large boards, long games, nasty wives.), but nothing will replace that face-to-face in-your-face physical pieces action.  

Not just wargames, my wife and I play a lot of Mahjong and no one on the planet would prefer a networked game compared the visceral physical experience.  Same with other forms of gambling and wargaming.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Ian Schofield replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Reading The Westphalian Army of the Napoleonic Wars. A massive volume - 528 pages - it's…"
12 hours ago
Wayne Downey updated their profile
yesterday
Jo Bader commented on Jo Bader's group Second Front
"Tuna Fight, German vs Russian AI"
yesterday
yesterday
"youtu.be/lqJvbm9ymYk"
yesterday
Eric Walters left a comment for Allen Rines
"Allen, welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social website!  OMG, I used to play OUTREACH a lot back in…"
Saturday
Eric Walters left a comment for Steve Boone
"Welcome to the CONSIMWORLD Social website, Steve!  Hopefully you can find some groups you are…"
Saturday
Eric Walters left a comment for Craig Martin
"Craig, so many of your games are in my wheelhouse.  I love the Avalanche Press series,…"
Saturday

Groups

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

© 2020   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service