Hello all.  I've been on CSW since the late 90's, but I do most of my chatting on BGG.  Now that I've found these fora, I may stick around here more often. :)

I'm trying to get my finger on the pulse of wargaming demographics.  So:

How old are you?

What got you into gaming?

What is your gender?

How many people do you have locally at your disposal to play with?

What is their gender/age distribution?

How do you know them?

Here are my answers:

I just turned 37.

My brothers, both significantly older than me, got me into wargaming in the early 80s with their subscription to Ares and some SPI and AH titles.  I became a hardcore wargamer around 1990 when I started a Conflict Simulations club at high school (the Gamer's Guild) and played things like Diplomacy, Grand Imperialism, Star Fleet Battles and Kingmaker.

I'm a guy.

In my close circle, I've got around a half-dozen people who are readily available and another dozen or so who are available if I plan far enough in advance.

In the inner circle, all of them are younger than me.  My wife is the closest, at 34.  My daughter is the youngest, turning 7 this week.  I basically converted into wargamers a bunch of 20-somethings that I met through college.  Most of the games we play are older gems (Civilization, Pax Britannica, Kingmaker, Barbarian, Kingdom and Empire...).  The newer games just don't do it for me, for the most part. 

There used to be more girls in the inner circle, and the inner circle used to be bigger, but many people have moved away.  The outer circle includes several girls, and the age range is greater as it includes my older brother and his gaming pals and some folks I bet through BGG. 

How about you?

Views: 359

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How old are you? - 51 and counting

What got you into gaming? - One brother at first, then off on my own shortly thereafter. I game much, much more than my brother now.

What is your gender? - Male

How many people do you have locally at your disposal to play with? - easily 15-20 or more--much more now than at another time in the past.

What is their gender/age distribution? - Both/many, from my 15-year-old son to fellow gamers who are a little older than I am

How do you know them? - Met through the many gaming opportunities that abound in this area--Meetups, conventions, old friends, friends of friends, etc.
How old are you? - 51 and counting

What got you into gaming? - One brother at first, then off on my own shortly thereafter. I game much, much more than my brother now. More at http://social.consimworld.com/xn/detail/2011369:Comment:28224

What is your gender? - Male

How many people do you have locally at your disposal to play with? - easily 15-20 or more--much more now than at another time in the past.

What is their gender/age distribution? - Both/many, from my 15-year-old son to fellow gamers who are a little older than I am

How do you know them? - Met through the many gaming opportunities that abound in this area--Meetups, conventions, old friends, friends of friends, etc.

How old are you? 44

What got you into gaming? I played board games with my family as a kid, did RPGs through college, got into miniatures battles after college and only discovered wargames about 10 years ago when the guy I was dating (and have since married) introduced me to Totaler Krieg.

What is your gender? Female

How many people do you have locally at your disposal to play with? For wargaming, just five. I'm hoping to lure some of our boardgaming friends into wargames, too.

What is their gender/age distribution? All male, one in his 30s, two in their 40s, two in their 50s.

How do you know them? All my wargaming friends I have met through my husband. (He met most of them when they used to shop at his game store.)

I'm an interwebz junkie and I play with myself. :P

Now, to the other questions:

How old are you? 43 11/12

What got you into gaming? I guess my parents. Wargaming was a tag sale buy.

What is your gender? I don't have one. I do have a penis and a Y chromosome, if that's pertinent.

How many people do you have locally at your disposal to play with? I have to ship them in.

What is their gender/age distribution? Female. Mid twenties. 

How do you know them? Met online.

> How old are you?

I am 46.

> What got you into gaming?

I saw Avalon Hill's "Luftwaffe" game in a Mimami Hobby store wen I was 10yrs old in the 70's. I found the cover cool and was into model airplanes at the time, so bought the game.

> What is your gender?

Very Sexy Male.  :-P

> How many people do you have locally at your disposal to play with?

If locally means a 30-minute drive by car, I would say about 12 opponents.

> What is their gender/age distribution?

From 26 to 55 years old. But most are in their late 30's/early 40's

> How do you know them?

Mainly through contacts on the internet. But a few from the old college game club I founded in the 80's.

I read alot of military history books. First wargame was Starfire from Task Force Games.

Male

I'm antisocial and play solo.

I am a male age 62. When I attended SIU at Carbondale, ILL., we would play Risk. (Tom Wham started a wargame club there at SIU),  I mentioned that someone should make historical wargames and a friend told me about Avalon Hill and that got me started back in 1971. Now I meet with 2 groups-one in Baltimore and the other in N. Vir. we have about 7 members in each group. Ages 27 to 62.(all males) I found the Balt. group in a opponents wanted and the N. Va. group an x-member found me when I posted in an opp. wanted ad. 

How old are you?  51

What got you into gaming?  Saw a copy of the old Avalon Hill original MIDWAY game in a hobby store when I went in to buy a Tamiya 1:700 scale waterline Japanese light aircraft carrier plastic model kit and plunked my lawnmower money (all $7.00 of it) on MIDWAY instead.  Never looked back since.  It wasn't long before I graduated out of tactical naval gaming and got into tactical land games...and air games...and operational games...and strategic games...and (gasp) even games that weren't about World War II.  These days, I have far too many games and not enough time to play them; after disposing of many old titles over the past three years, my collection is culled down to about 1,200 titles or so.  Half of that are magazine games, so don't be too impressed.  

What is your gender?  Hopelessly male.  Retired Marine.  

How many people do you have locally at your disposal to play with?  Lots.  We've got two informal clubs in Tidewater, Virginia--the Tidewater Area/ASL Gamers (TAG) and the Tidewater Area Naval Gamers (TANG).  The gatherings are great fun and we have some really good players for a number of games.  ASL, GCACW, CLOSE ACTION, and IRONCLADS seem to get the most repeated play.  

What is their gender/age distribution?  Most are in their 40s and 50s and we have a predominantly retired military demographic, but there's a few younger ones in the mix.  We're working on trying to attract more of them.  We have no female gamers at the moment.

How do you know them?  Club gatherings and area game conventions.  We usually have a strong showing at WINTER OFFENSIVE in Bowie every year when MMP hosts it.

Hello Gideon and everyone else too,

How old are you?

I just turned 50.

What got you into gaming?

When I was 10 my sister took me up to collage with her and introduced me to this game she had played with a boyfriend.  Midway!  I was a wargamer from that moment on.  She also served me a lot of vegetarian cuisine but that did not stick.

What is your gender?

Male

How many people do you have locally at your disposal to play with?  How do you know them?

In my teens I drafted a few friends and occasionally played with a few real wargamers before most of them went extinct.  Over the years I played wargames with a few friends and as my kids grew up they played a few simple wargames with me.  Starting in the late 90s I started playing games pbem.  About 2 years ago, I started reaching out, going to euro and miniatures gaming clubs and in the process I have slowly developed a cadre of serious wargamers.  Now, I have more opponents than I can meet with every week.  So at the start of the year I started a wargaming club here in Denver.  A HEX and COUNTER wargaming club.  There are only 4 or 5 of us so far that meet regularly but there are a half dozen infrequent or fringe players.  We assume that over time we will accrue a few more.  If I include the Big Box and Card Driven players we have even more, but I am talking about hard core wargamers.

What is their gender/age distribution?

All fellas.  If I every met a women that played wargames I would be very impressed and pleased.  Mostly grateful to not have to sit across from all these smelly, ugly, grumbling bastards that I play with now.  They are mostly in their 40s and 50s with a couple in their 60s.

In reply to your last paragraph, my wife says, "Woman wargamers are rarely born," the implication being that you have to introduce them to the hobby.  She also notes that there are a lot few woman wargamers in our group than man wargamers, despite the gender ratio of our overall group being 50/50.

You just have to work for it. :)

Pretty much nail on the head. I've had the most success converting non-gamers

though, rather than those who already gamed. Not sure why, except that most

of the women I've hooked into gaming were intimate with me, and chance just

failed to bring me the already gaming. 

Well, I think it is natural to get your significant others into your hobbies.  I think every single gamer I play with, and that's a crowd of some two dozen (with the exception of the few that are of my brother's generation) were not wargamers until I introduced them to it.  Some were Magic gamers, some were computer/console gamers, but none had pushed cardboard before.

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Keith Bockus updated their profile
12 hours ago
Tim Korchnoi is now a member of ConsimWorld
20 hours ago
John Garrett is now a member of ConsimWorld
Monday
Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Read: "The Praetorian Guard: A History of Rome's Elite Special Forces" by Sandra…"
Oct 13
Eric Walters left a comment for PAUL BRETT
"Welcome, Paul, to the CONSIMWORLD Website!  Hope you find all things Waterloo here.  If…"
Oct 11
PAUL BRETT is now a member of ConsimWorld
Oct 9
Gian Carlo Ceccoli posted a blog post

Aegean Strike

Ieri sera, seconda sessione dedicata al titolo Aegean strike - Victory Games; titolo datato ma…See More
Oct 5
Gian Carlo Ceccoli added a discussion to the group A.S.G.S.
Thumbnail

SMGC 2019

Entro Ottobre, le prime anticipazioni sull'evento clou della ASGS!!!!See More
Oct 5

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2018   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service