There have not been a lot of conflicts in which game designers were able to do their work, have their games developed, and publish them between the time that the war started transitioning from hypothetical to inevitable. Desert Storm is one of the very few, and was a popular subject for designers. There was a Gulf Strike module, and Strategy & Tactics' Arabian Nightmare just to start, and with the exception of Command's game, essentially redesigned after the fact, all were intended to predict results.

But how many predicted anything close to the historical results? Command's Desert Storm should be disregarded for that question, as it was essentially redesigned after the fact to be a Coalition walk-over, at least unless Godzilla and a division of time-shifting Nazis appear.

In a sense, Desert Storm was wargaming's chance to model an upcoming conflict and then judge our results in the light of history. But how well did we did do?

Views: 23

Help Center

Latest Activity

Steve K commented on Steve K's blog post Games I'm Playing 2018
"Camperdown 1797 (Flying Colors): The Dutch break for shallow water, British pursue."
yesterday
Oliver S. Linßen is now a member of ConsimWorld
yesterday
Thomas Margraf joined Scott de Brestian's group
Thumbnail

Michigan Wargamers

A place for gamers around the state to meet and converse.See More
Thursday
Tony Rogers is now a member of ConsimWorld
Wednesday
Louis Robert Coatney commented on Peter Perla's blog post Looking for Chicago wargamer to help with Fletcher Pratt material
"Peter, I knew Dan.  He got me started in (metal) 1:1200s.  6 Italian destroyers and 2…"
Wednesday
Mike Nagel and Christian A. Strasser are now friends
Wednesday
Christian A. Strasser left a comment for Mike Nagel
"I went to your Relative Range site.  It's very interesting.  Of great interest to me…"
Wednesday
Christian A. Strasser left a comment for John Panagotopulos
"Are you still in Moorestown?"
Wednesday

Groups

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2018   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service