I'll confess I enjoy playing AXIS AND ALLIES and all its spinoffs. They are great for attracting new blood into the hobby--especially when such new blood is still in grade school. These games are still on the shelves in game and hobby stores...with such slick packaging, they (and games like them) are our best hope for attracting new players "off the street" as it were. Whatever you may think of Hasbro, Wizards of the Coast, and the "new" Avalon Hill, they have created their niche and some of us are leveraging it to lure new players to board wargaming. Talk about your favorite "new" AH game titles, play experiences, and everything you love/hate about where AH is now.

Views: 73

Replies to This Discussion

What I can say is Axis&Allies (AH/Wotc got the crucial Revised 4th ed.) has a serious following, several computer assists and Ladder sites, and MUCH higher competitive level of average players than most other 'classic' Avalon Hill games. I was goodish at Storm over Arnhem, Turning Point: Stalingrad, Breakout: Normandy, War at Sea, Victory in the Pacific etc. and still got crushed in A&A in more games than I liked until getting some of the required sharp poly-attention, hostile imagination etc.

Cannot say about the newer fantasy wargames (Nexus Ops etc.)
I'm really glad that MMP has taken over the production of ASL. They are making quality products head and shoulders over the competition! I don't care very much for the new History of the World game made by Hasbro. I like the old Avalon Hill version much better! I agree that Axis and Allies is bringing some new blood into the hobby! I also like Vegas Showdown and Nexus Ops. They are fun new games! I don't like the way that many of the old AH games are being reprinted now. They are being farmed but they are being done well for the most part!

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

William Miller joined Jo Bader's group
Thumbnail

Second Front

This is my tun-based game 'Second Front' for PC and Mc. It is showing tactical WW2 actions of…See More
23 hours ago
Profile IconBrian Martuzas, John Bobek and 4 other members joined Jo Bader's group
Thumbnail

Second Front

This is my tun-based game 'Second Front' for PC and Mc. It is showing tactical WW2 actions of…See More
Thursday
Jo Bader commented on Jo Bader's group Second Front
"https://youtu.be/N1U78uFqqvk Second Front Map Designer"
Wednesday
"Hello Mac,thanks. will release this year. cant say when. want do it right cheersjo"
Wednesday
Markus Klaas commented on Jo Bader's group Second Front
"Hi Jo! I really look forward to this one... Is there a rough time schedule? Cheers Mac"
Wednesday
"after improving the attack tactics AI germans take back the VP faster. I tried to counter attack…"
Wednesday
Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Read: "Byzantium and the Avars, 6th-9th Century A.D.: Political, Diplomatic, and Cultural…"
Tuesday
Bill Ash joined Jo Bader's group
Thumbnail

Second Front

Tuesday

Groups

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2020   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service