I'll confess I enjoy playing AXIS AND ALLIES and all its spinoffs. They are great for attracting new blood into the hobby--especially when such new blood is still in grade school. These games are still on the shelves in game and hobby stores...with such slick packaging, they (and games like them) are our best hope for attracting new players "off the street" as it were. Whatever you may think of Hasbro, Wizards of the Coast, and the "new" Avalon Hill, they have created their niche and some of us are leveraging it to lure new players to board wargaming. Talk about your favorite "new" AH game titles, play experiences, and everything you love/hate about where AH is now.

Views: 67

Replies to This Discussion

What I can say is Axis&Allies (AH/Wotc got the crucial Revised 4th ed.) has a serious following, several computer assists and Ladder sites, and MUCH higher competitive level of average players than most other 'classic' Avalon Hill games. I was goodish at Storm over Arnhem, Turning Point: Stalingrad, Breakout: Normandy, War at Sea, Victory in the Pacific etc. and still got crushed in A&A in more games than I liked until getting some of the required sharp poly-attention, hostile imagination etc.

Cannot say about the newer fantasy wargames (Nexus Ops etc.)
I'm really glad that MMP has taken over the production of ASL. They are making quality products head and shoulders over the competition! I don't care very much for the new History of the World game made by Hasbro. I like the old Avalon Hill version much better! I agree that Axis and Allies is bringing some new blood into the hobby! I also like Vegas Showdown and Nexus Ops. They are fun new games! I don't like the way that many of the old AH games are being reprinted now. They are being farmed but they are being done well for the most part!

RSS

Help Center

Latest Activity

Jo Bader commented on Jo Bader's group Hexdraw Users
"Hexdraw 3D"
3 hours ago
"Hexdraw 3D<iframe width="560" height="315"…"
3 hours ago
3 hours ago
Nathan posted a video

The Battle of Monmouth (28 June 1778) [FULL BATTLE Report]

The Battle of Monmouth 28 June, 1778 [Clash of Arms Games 2008] [Full Battle Report] Designers: Richard Kane Series: Battles from the Age of Reason [BAR]
22 hours ago
William Broadhurst joined Robert Cleary's group
Thumbnail

New Jersey Wargamers

A place for New Jersey resident wargamers to network and find opponents near them.
22 hours ago
William Broadhurst joined Brian Blad's group
Thumbnail

Advanced Squad Leader!

This is the place to discuss ASL and all things ASL
22 hours ago
Joseph replied to Chuang Shyue Chou's discussion What are you reading?
"Read: "The Crusades: The World's Debate" by Hilaire Belloc. Mr. Belloc has an…"
Sunday
Timothy J. Smith commented on Eric Walters's group Marine Maneuver Warfare Wargamers
"Brilliant, Eric; Semper Fi & thanks for sharing.  We might owe as much to Jim Lacey as we…"
Sunday

Events

Members

CSW Related Links

Please be sure to check-out these CSW services.

© 2019   Created by John Kranz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service